Tom Clancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Clancy

What do you guys think is Tom Clancy's greatest book of all times, and which is the greatest Jack Ryan novel?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

The Sum of All Fears

because the Vikings make it to the Superbowl, and didn't loose! Of course, they didn't win either...
    sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

I have to agree, Sum Of All Fears was in my opinion the best of the Jack Ryan novels. I've re-read it dozens of times and never really get tired of it.
      I really like Red Storm Rising as well but I wish he and Larry Bond had wrote it a little later in their careers (by which time the Cold War was over, naturally).
      My two most favorite parts in Sum was the Prologue during the Yom Kippur War and then when Ibrahim Ghosn is laboriously dismantling the bomb (not realizing what it is) while Fowler is spouting on about closing Pandora's box. Oh geez, and the whole end of the book :dbanana
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Without Remorse.
        Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

Hunt for Red October. I've got the book, the VHS and the DVD. I absolutely love that book.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The best about Hunt (the book) was the harrasement mission that the A-10s and B-52s flew against the Kara battlegroup. Oh and of course any part that had the New Jersey in it :D
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yeah, that Hawg run was bitchin. Too bad there aren't too many movies out there with Hawgs in them...

Comment

The Hunt for Red October...best novel ever, and best movie ever...only thing I have an issue with is that Clancy sometimes has a bad habit of writing too technical on military equipment when it comes to making a work of fiction.

Comment

Scott,
                  Agreed, especially lately. Clancy has started talking about the newest stuff so much, he sounds like an advertisement for defense contractors. Annoying as hell.

Hey bigross, the only movie that I can recall having a Hawg in it was Courage Under Fire . It is properly introduced to the story by an Army JO as "...one BIG ass A-10 Thunderbolt!"

Comment

Red storm rising, without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                      good read, especially the attack on the Nimitz. Do not thik much about his assumptions though. He seems o rely too much on American good fortune.
                      "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Ditto.
                        When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                          good read, especially the attack on the Nimitz. Do not thik much about his assumptions though. He seems o rely too much on American good fortune.
                          He does indeed, though there is usually plenty of American disfortune as well, such as the attack on the Nimitz battlegroup

Comment

hellz yeah.

Comment

Never got into the Jack Ryan Stories yet, but I'm about halfway through Teeth Of The Tiger (first Clancy novel I've picked up)

Comment

Working...
                              X