Best Cover Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dormant for too long.

Not about particular song, but about two young Croats who cover a lot of songs and do so oh so good.

No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• I've got quite a few of their songs on my computer, but I've got to say that after a while, hearing the cellos begins to grate on the ears a bit.....
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• I agree that it's not something you can hear for days.

Watching them live however is a unique experience.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• The ghost of tom joad

RUHHH!!

Comment

• The Pet Shop Boys' Always On My Mind has been voted the top cover version of all time in a BBC Music vote....

The top 10 tracks in the vote are as follows:

1. Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
            2. Johnny Cash - Hurt
            3. The Stranglers - Walk On By
            4. Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
            5. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
            6. Soft Cell - Tainted Love
            7. Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends
            8. Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
            9. Muse - Feeling Good
            10. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
            BBC News - Pet Shop Boys' Always On My Mind tops cover version vote

Not especially impressed with the winner to be honest

Comment

• Not really a cover, more a piece of genius video. Ruskies eh?
              https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...50&pnref=story
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Pearl Jam does a nice job with two classics from Quadrophenia-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Nine Inch Nails cover of Dead Souls (original by Joy Division):

Comment

• I can't access the main music thread or create another, so I'm just going to post here until I can. If everything ever gets back to normal & the mods have more spare time than they know what to do with they are welcome to magic the posts to a more appropriate place.

As it happens this song does have cover versions, but it is also my favourite song right now. I always like to put in a bit of background, so here it is.

Sia Furler is one of Australia's most successful musicians (in the top 100 wealthiest Australians), though she could probably walk down the street in most places without being recognized. Since the late 90s she has released a string of albums, solo & with British group Zero 7, that have been increasingly successful. Over the past decade she has also become one of the most sought after songwriters in America, penning songs for Christina Aguillera, Beyoncé, Rhianna, Flo Rida and David Guetta. In 2010 her album 'We Are Born' reached number two in Australia. At the same time she decided for personal reasons to withdraw from performing and focus on songwriting. In 2013 she returned to performance, but decided to avoid 'celebrity' by refusing to show her face publically.

In 1997 a 22 year old Sia was on her way to join her boyfriend & first love in London when she received news of his death in an accident. "We were all devastated, so we got shit-faced on drugs and Special Brew. Unfortunately, that bender lasted six years for me." Sadly the next 13 years were marked by battles with alcoholism, drug addiction & bipolar depression. Only someone who has gone though something like that could write & sing this song. This clip is from the Grammys. Sia has her back to the audience. The young girl appeared in the original film clip for the song & has appeared in many of her live performances (mostly on TV).

This is only half a cover version, but it really nails the song. Karen Gillam (ex-Doctor Who assistant) from the TV show 'Selfie'

This version by Irish band 'The Script' enunciated the words nicely for anyone who struggles with Sia's unique vocal style.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Thank you, Big

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        I can't access the main music thread or create another, so I'm just going to post here until I can. If everything ever gets back to normal & the mods have more spare time than they know what to do with they are welcome to magic the posts to a more appropriate place.

As it happens this song does have cover versions, but it is also my favourite song right now. I always like to put in a bit of background, so here it is.

Sia Furler is one of Australia's most successful musicians (in the top 100 wealthiest Australians), though she could probably walk down the street in most places without being recognized. Since the late 90s she has released a string of albums, solo & with British group Zero 7, that have been increasingly successful. Over the past decade she has also become one of the most sought after songwriters in America, penning songs for Christina Aguillera, Beyoncé, Rhianna, Flo Rida and David Guetta. In 2010 her album 'We Are Born' reached number two in Australia. At the same time she decided for personal reasons to withdraw from performing and focus on songwriting. In 2013 she returned to performance, but decided to avoid 'celebrity' by refusing to show her face publically.

In 1997 a 22 year old Sia was on her way to join her boyfriend & first love in London when she received news of his death in an accident. "We were all devastated, so we got shit-faced on drugs and Special Brew. Unfortunately, that bender lasted six years for me." Sadly the next 13 years were marked by battles with alcoholism, drug addiction & bipolar depression. Only someone who has gone though something like that could write & sing this song. This clip is from the Grammys. Sia has her back to the audience. The young girl appeared in the original film clip for the song & has appeared in many of her live performances (mostly on TV).

This is only half a cover version, but it really nails the song. Karen Gillam (ex-Doctor Who assistant) from the TV show 'Selfie'

This version by Irish band 'The Script' enunciated the words nicely for anyone who struggles with Sia's unique vocal style.

/the Irish version was better. The first one is just sad, all that mental damage in plain view on stage.
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                          /the Irish version was better. The first one is just sad, all that mental damage in plain view on stage.
                          For me its the rawness of the first one that makes it so powerful. At her lowest point in 2010 she wrote out a suicide note & was on the verge of following through before a fortunate call from a friend. I think the song was partly inspired by that. She originally considered offering it to someone else - Beyoncé & Rhianna I think. Decided it would only work if she did it. Clearly the right decision.

The Script version is a good way to hear the power behind the lyrics, but its a bit 'pop' for me.

If it helps, she has cleaned up, dealt with her problems, has a fiancée & is a very happy (and wealthy) person. She's very cheerful in interviews.

Just to show she can be upbeat, something from her successful 2010 album We Are Born:

This one is more downbeat. It was used for the memorable final scene of 'Six Feet Under'. Also a chance to see what she looks like. The clip is from 2010 and the intro summarizes where she is nicely - "This is when I was sad, I feel heaps better now"

sigpic

Comment

• This is the latest clip from The Black Jesus Experience. Enushu (vocals), Peter (sax) and Ian (flugel/trumpet) are very dear friends. The clip was shot at their café The Horn, where I eat most Thursdays (if anyone is ever in town dinner is on me :D). Enushu is from Ethiopia & is singing in her native Amharic. Tibor, the white rapper, is a waiter there. The little boy you briefly see dancing in the clip with Enushu is she & Peter's son. Their teenage daughter was too shy to go on camera and instantly regretted the decision when she saw the clip.

The band is currently touring Africa.

sigpic

Comment

• Sixteen years ago I was working with Tommy & Pat Boyce when they joined with Jim Lewis to form the Casanovas. Through personnel changes, serious illness & a bad management deal that cost them all their earnings the boys are still going. While Tommy & I have drifted over the years, I'm now good mates with Jim & will see him at the football tonight (we are fans of the Mighty Hawks!). They launched their new album last week & I went to the gig. This is a clip of the encore, with Jim returning to the stage to sing his signature tune.

A cheerful ditty about the guy who screwed them out of all their money.

The boys' first release back in 2000. Filmed at Tommy's old school. Still sounds great.

sigpic

Comment

• Pete,

Recall a Casanova video that you'd posted ages ago, I believe Shake It-

Flat out rocks.
                                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                                X