Best Cover Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...Oh, and he's married to Diana Krall. Colour me impressed."

Moi aussi. Didn't know. Brilliant pianist and vocal stylist...and she likes Burt Bacharach.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Why, oh why noone mentioned this song?

No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Doktor Reply

"Why, oh why noone mentioned this song?"

Open Pandora's box and look in and there'll be no stopping what comes out. You're talking about the most heavily-covered dude in musicdom. EVERYBODY has covered Dylan-most really, really well. Bands like The Byrds and The Band made a living doing it. Turtles, Stones, Animals, Peter, Paul & Mary, Joan Baez, etc.

Forget it...
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
          "Why, oh why noone mentioned this song?"

Open Pandora's box and look in and there'll be no stopping what comes out. You're talking about the most heavily-covered dude in musicdom. EVERYBODY has covered Dylan-most really, really well. Bands like The Byrds and The Band made a living doing it. Turtles, Stones, Animals, Peter, Paul & Mary, Joan Baez, etc.

Forget it...

Noted.

How about this one? Hope Doors are not off limits

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
            "...Oh, and he's married to Diana Krall. Colour me impressed."

Moi aussi. Didn't know. Brilliant pianist and vocal stylist...and she likes Burt Bacharach.
            They make quite the couple. Have you seen 'Spectacle'? You would love it.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
              Thanks for bringing this thread back, Gunny.
              Obviously you didn't read.

The sentence was "I can Necro"

Not "Yeller, Will you post lame Disco Crap, Please"

Thank the music Gods for Bigfella. Who posted good music after the Disco/Laura Branigan fiasco
              Last edited by Gun Grape; 23 Jan 12,, 03:29.

Comment

Man...post a little Euro disco trash and people get snippy and downright hostile.

Oh well, time to annoy more people.

I think I posted this cover somewhere before and S2 called it sacrileges.

Don Henley

Boys of Summer

Last edited by YellowFever; 23 Jan 12,, 06:59.

Comment

Yellow Fever Reply

"...I think I posted this cover somewhere before and S2 called it sacrileges."

Sacrilege (singular) or sacrilegious. Still is for all but Keith Urban. No fan but the acoustic thingy worked pretty well.

Everything else lacked subtlety and/or talent but for the Eagles IMV. See Steuart Smith replacing Don Felder on guitar there?
                  Last edited by S2; 23 Jan 12,, 07:03.

Comment

Yeah...I just realized that after you pointed it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      Obviously you didn't read.

The sentence was "I can Necro"

Not "Yeller, Will you post lame Disco Crap, Please"

Thank the music Gods for Bigfella. Who posted good music after the Disco/Laura Branigan fiasco
                      thanks Gunny.

This is a good Dylan song let down by crappy 80s production. I think Dave Stewart from Eurythmics is lurking in the background.

This is the definitive version from Jeff healy. Much missed.

sigpic

Comment

One of the very best from one of New Zealand's finest groups (for those not in the know Crowded House was one of the successor groups to the Enz, though this song was written by Tim Finn, older brother of Neil). Finn described it as a love song of sorts, but with a cruel edge: "....here & now but not forever".

Don't know how this ended up on a Belinda Carlisle album in 1986. Very odd indeed. her vocals are OK, but the production lets it down in places (that bloody Bach trumpet sounds like it wandered in from the 'Penny Lane' sessions).

Eddie Vedder has a history of incorporating relatively obscure covers into his sets. Double as handy crowd pleasers outside the US too. This is a duet with the song's writer. I prefer a more stripped back version of this song, though the harmonies let this down a wee bit.

THE WINNER!!!! This version from Australian singer/songwriter Missy Higgins. She nails it for mine.

sigpic

Comment

Iced Earth cover Iron Maiden

This is a respectable cover of the Classic Maiden song the Trooper. I like the sound but the vocals are not a patch on the vocal perfection that is Bruce Dickinson!!!!!

Original:

Cover:

"Up the Irons"

Arty
                          "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtyEngineer View Post
                            This is a respectable cover of the Classic Maiden song the Trooper. I like the sound but the vocals are not a patch on the vocal perfection that is Bruce Dickinson!!!!!

"Up the Irons"

Arty
                            Not only the vocals, but also the guitar is not on par with Adrian Smith.

Comment

Since yeller posted some crappy music. I'll have a go at it.

Ricky Martin "livin la vida loca"

And Capt Jack having a go at it

Comment

Blind Guardian cover of John Farnham.
                                "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Working...
                                X