Recommended TV shows and documentaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended TV shows and documentaries

As the title suggests, programmes on TV you think are worth watching.
    I'll kick off with Discoveries "Everest: Beyond the limit"
    Absolutely riveting viewing, even if you care nothing for mountain climbing. Definitely the best I've seen in years.
    Everest: Beyond the Limit 2007 : Discovery Channel
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

"The Machine that Changed the World" on PBS. The history of the development of the modern day computer.

"Pursuit of the Graf Spee". An extraordinarily accurate British documentary with no phoney love interests or Sci-Fi. The USS Salem (CA 139) played the title role.

"Tora, Tora, Tora". The most accurate documentary of the Pearl Harbor attack. Not any phoney heroics or love triangles as in Disney's Pearl Harbor. Much more realistic than Cupola's film shown as a newsreel with many viewers thinking it was actual combat scenes. And even better than Japan's attempt at a historical film "I bombed Pearl Harbor".

"Mail Call". Gunery Sgt Lee Ermy's weekly show of historical military items, battles, tactics, equipment, etc. from the middle ages to today. History Channel. Lee is very interesting to watch and often very funny (though most Marines would agree there is NO such thing as a funny Marine sergeant).

"Future Weapons" on the Military Channel. Really neat show hosted by a former Navy SEAL showing existing weapons of the highest technology and weapons being tested for future use.

"Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel. Mike Rowe hosts this program and doesn't just stand back and let a film crew do all the work. He gets right in there with the sewer cleaners, hot tar roofers, cesspool cleaners, etc. You watch the show and thank the Good Almighty for people who have to do that kind of work and not you.

"Jeapordy" This game show is not only entertaining, it is very educational as well. When my wife first came to this country, she could not speak any English (only Hungarian, Spanish and a smatthering of German and Italian). Working as a maid in Beverly Hills, she was allowed to watch TV and "Jeapordy" helped her learn English. This was about 40 years ago. Today we still watch the show and she speaks good English with only a hint of a Hungarian/Spanish accent. Though sometimes she pronounces V as a W such as in "Let's go over to the polls so we can Wote."
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel

Those crab fishermen are nuts!!!
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Got to be, 24, I am completely hooked, go Jack

Comment

I like House. Its the same thing every week, but Hugh Laurie is a badass

Comment

Yeah watched it a couple of times totally different role for him, to what we are used to seeing him in, but good none the less, we are used to see him playing the bumbling fool, in either Blackadder, or Jeeves and Wooster, not a great TV fan to be honest, more often than not its just a coloured sound box in the corner, like watching B&W War movies when I can, and documentaries, and wildlife progs but as for the rest, well I would`nt miss it

Comment

Originally posted by FibrillatorD View Post
              I like House. Its the same thing every week, but Hugh Laurie is a badass
              House is my favorite show, but I fell asleep Tuesday night and don't know how it ended!
              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
                Yeah watched it a couple of times totally different role for him, to what we are used to seeing him in, but good none the less, we are used to see him playing the bumbling fool, in either Blackadder, or Jeeves and Wooster, not a great TV fan to be honest, more often than not its just a coloured sound box in the corner, like watching B&W War movies when I can, and documentaries, and wildlife progs but as for the rest, well I would`nt miss it
                Bob, looks like you watch the Wildlife day and night then..Lime st. Jungle

Comment

The program that has it all is surely 'Trumpton'. I don't know if it has been exported to where you lot reside, but in the UK it was all the rage. Who can forget Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub as the fearless firefighters?
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                    The program that has it all is surely 'Trumpton'. I don't know if it has been exported to where you lot reside, but in the UK it was all the rage. Who can forget Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub as the fearless firefighters?
                    Who are they? Offspring of the Three Stooges?

When it comes to British imports, we try to select the best such as Rumpole of the Bailey, Danger UXB, Benny Hill. We learned our lesson of quality with Monty Python's Flying Circus.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                      Who are they? Offspring of the Three Stooges?

I remember them from my youth!

When it comes to British imports, we try to select the best such as Rumpole of the Bailey, Danger UXB, Benny Hill.

All good entertaining stuff.

We learned our lesson of quality with Monty Python's Flying Circus.
                      Don't understand you there ( 2 nations divided by a common language:) ) Did you like Monty Python or not?

Write to all the TV stations imploring them to screen Trumpton. Mind you, it is possible that you will find it too exciting.
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
                        House is my favorite show, but I fell asleep Tuesday night and don't know how it ended!
                        Southie, you can catch it here

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel

Those crab fishermen are nuts!!!
                          Awesome show....I think you are understating the case a little bit gunnut.
                          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                            Don't understand you there ( 2 nations divided by a common language:) ) Did you like Monty Python or not?

Write to all the TV stations imploring them to screen Trumpton. Mind you, it is possible that you will find it too exciting.
                            Like Monty Python,glyn??My ten year old strolls through the house proclaiming"Merely a flesh wound,have at thee varlet!"
                            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Deadliest Catch, Dogfights, Mega Machines, Building the Ultimate; Extreme Engineering; Blood, Sweat & Rigs; Mail Call; Rescue Me & The Shield
                              "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X