Picture(s) of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Porsche917LH View Post
    Meh. The GTS was a phenomenal car but as for the others... I'll stick with me 911. Due to get a dual spark 3.6L dropped in & other goodies. Originally was RUF tuned for a club racer.

Given any air cooled street legal Porsche (a few rare 917's and 956/962 street legal conversions excepted) I'd take the original CTR Yellowbird.

Now for a stock model... I guess an RS 2.7.
    I am sure they are fun to drive, but so was a 69 Camaro SS or a 71 Boss Mustang - brutish, powerful, eyecatching and adrenalin rich driving...
    The new ones are fun too, but not the same - too civilized and comfortable - those old American iron engine sleds had something the new cars don't; hard to explain - a sort of bute force approach to the driving experience. I owned a 71 Mach 1 years ago, it was a blast when it worked well, and a boat anchor when I wanted to rely on it to get somewhere- it would load up at stop signs and require a road side tune up (I carried an extra set of plugs with me just in case). On a country road, the cops couldn't catch it or even get a good look at the license plate. I got to rebuild a Dodge Diplomat county patrol car that tried (I was a Mopar tech at the time and we serviced the police cars) the car in question had 5 burned pistons in its "High Output" 360... The 351 Mustang state patrol cars were a different story, Corvette's had trouble out running those. Tales from ~30 years ago...
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 10 Mar 11,, 19:34.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• :D on 5 cylinders (6th one busted) in the 911 we got to an indicated speed of 155 with some to give. Not the safest thing to do with a 7 year old in the back (me)

I think we would outrun a squad car all the way until we hit some caltrops scattered on the road...

I've driven a 2004 996 series GT3 (never very fast) and I guess it's the same as with old american muscle. The edge is definitely lacking. I guess the niche for an uncivilized fast car isn't so mainstream.

From what I understand from my relatives in Germany in the bad old days of the mafia nothing could touch their Lamborghini's... Then some hotter Porsches became common and they weren't as outclassed.

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
        I owned a 71 Mach 1 years ago, it was a blast when it worked well, and a boat anchor when I wanted to rely on it to get somewhere- it would load up at stop signs and require a road side tune up (I carried an extra set of plugs with me just in case). On a country road, the cops couldn't catch it or even get a good look at the license plate.
        I had '69 mach 1 with a four speed and a late model 302 back in '90. It was fully restored and ran great. Forget about stopping in the rain because the four wheel drum brakes sucked out loud. I sold it when I had to grow up.

Comment

• I love the 69 and 70 Mach 1's. My favorite Mustangs.

I had a '67 RS/SS Camaro when I was a kid. 396 M22 12-Bolt. Had tilt wheel and power windows and vinyl top. All original. 12 second quarters right from the factory, it still had the time slips in the glove box from 1967.

Sold it to a guy who did exactly what everyone did with those cars, totaled the front end...
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by highsea View Post
            I love the 69 and 70 Mach 1's. My favorite Mustangs.

I had a '67 RS/SS Camaro when I was a kid. 396 M22 12-Bolt. Had tilt wheel and power windows and vinyl top. All original. 12 second quarters right from the factory, it still had the time slips in the glove box from 1967.

Sold it to a guy who did exactly what everyone did with those cars, totaled the front end...
            Oh that is so typical!! I'm not sure what happened to the mach 1, but my '82 first edition Z-28, bit the dust at the hands of a third owner who didn't realize the available HP in a rainstorm(after I modded it ever so slightly). A buddy of mine on the local FD saw the carnage after the wreck.

I also had a 1964 Ford F-100 that I had totally restored, drove it for a few years and sold it when I wanted to have nothing but 4x4s. One month after selling it, totalled...and I mean into pieces. I will post a pic as soon as I can find it. Its the wallpaper on my laptop(i'm on the desktop tonight) don't know why its not on the desktop???

Comment

• Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
              I had '69 mach 1 with a four speed and a late model 302 back in '90. It was fully restored and ran great. Forget about stopping in the rain because the four wheel drum brakes sucked out loud. I sold it when I had to grow up.
              Those 69's were especially handsome cars, the disk brakes helped a lot on the 71, though it only had them in front. I liked the 302 a lot, I had some bearing troubles with the 351C 4V that the 71 Mach came with and I put a GT 302 in. But I had spent about 18 months building the 302, so it lightened up the front end, but didn't give away much HP, the 302 had 351W valves and closed chamber 289 heads, a truck block and radiused, tufftrided crank, crane cam, triple valve springs, polished, flowed and ported heads, cc'd, balenced, forged pistons 11:1 flatops, boss 302 oil pump and windage tray, MSD ignition, Offenhauser single plane intake and a 650 holley double pumper, a heavy duty C6 with a 3000 rpm converter and 9" 3:55 traction lok gears. I worked at the Ford garage and ordered lots of Motorsport parts for it. She would turn at 7000 rpm, and peg the speedometer, the peg was straight down, the numbers ended at about 5 oclock. Same here, the car and I had to part company, it was too dangerous for me, and got me in trouble.
              Last edited by USSWisconsin; 11 Mar 11,, 04:41.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

• That is a 1/4 mile car my friend, and impressive. I drove this one on a daily and could pull low 13 or high 14 on a good day. The show I could do on a friday night bar run got me some attention though(chicks dug it, don't know why, but they were hot and i didn't question).

I still attribute my dating and marriage to the Z car. She and many other chicks fell prey to the T-Top cruises we would take through the ozarks. I liked the wifey the most of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                  That is a 1/4 mile car my friend, and impressive. I drove this one on a daily and could pull low 13 or high 14 on a good day. The show I could do on a Friday night bar run got me some attention though(chicks dug it, don't know why, but they were hot and i didn't question).

I still attribute my dating and marriage to the Z car. She and many other chicks fell prey to the T-Top cruises we would take through the Ozarks. I liked the wifey the most of course.
                  Thank you Sir, it was a fast car, it did better in a 1/2 mile with the smaller engine, but it could still get into the mid 12's with the one it had- I remember getting my doors blown off by a Chevelle one day - felt bad until I saw what was under the hood of the Chevy - Oh "Rat's" a 427 . The 351 C actually was quicker with 3:25 gears (12.49) - it was built to BOSS/NASCAR 351 specs, but had an iron intake - also had an 850 double pumper and closed chamber heads with 2.19" intakes, I machined the heads for screw in studs and guide plates and had Ford Motorsport hardened pushrods on the 0.500 lift Isky hydraulic cam - I filled in the bottom of the giant ports with epoxy, matching them to the intake which was similarly filled - when I upgraded the rod bolts I neglected to resize the rods - thus the bearing trouble (I think I wound her up too tight too). I did have 3.70 gears behind the 302 (actually a 305, it was 0.30 over) for a while and it helped the ET a bit, at the expense of a top vibration in the driveline that I fixed with the 3:55 gears. Its funny how women liked those cars, I too got some extra attention, also a few of them had car problems they wanted their boyfriend to fix...
                  ready for the new motor

the 302/305 (375 hp @ 6800 rpm)

the 351C 4V with a little 600 cfm vacuum 4bbl (328 hp/15 mpg highway w/3.25 gears in this tune)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by USSWisconsin; 11 Mar 11,, 16:48.

Comment

• Can't find my good photos out on the beach but here are a few I took a couple years ago. Here are a couple.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                      ...[ATTACH]24623[/ATTACH]
                      Looks like Eleanor!!! I remember the first time i saw the original Gone in sixty seconds. Incredible what he did with that ONE car!

Comment

• Nice one P917!! You and Bill need to get together and talk.

Comment

• art

Attached Files
                          Last edited by USSWisconsin; 13 Mar 11,, 02:42.

Comment

• Hot desert, running on a beach, driving in a snowstorm.

An impresionists POV.

Comment

• Very impressive work

Abandoned Yugoslavian Monuments by Jan Kempenaers
                              “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

• Flag will be lowered on submarine "Lembit", the oldest submarine still afloat in the world, for the last time and submarine will be de-listed from Estonian Navy where it served as honorary flagship (navy ship no.1). After that "Lembit" will be raised to the shore and hauled into new Maritime Museum in Lennusadam/Seaplane Harbour. Before new museum's opening it will be restored to it's original conditions.

Few details:

Built in 1936-37 in Vickers-Armstrong shipyard,United Kingdom (along with it's twin ship "Kalev")
                                Construction was mainly funded by public donations.
                                Active service 1937-1940 (Estonian Navy); 1940-1979 (Soviet Navy)
                                Honorary service 1994-2011 (Estonian Navy,de facto owned by Maritime Museum)
                                "Lembitu" received atleast 2 confirmed kills in WW2 by sinking merchant ships.
                                It's twin ship "Kalev" was lost during the war (presumably hit by a mine or collided with German U-boat)
                                for last ~10-15 years has been the oldest submarine in the world still afloat.

they got it out of water two days ago

my grandfather served in 1928-30(?) in destroyer Vambola, that was sold to raise money for this sub

Orfey class destroyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i really hope to see this one restored
                                If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Working...
                                X