Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Jones Show. Television 1969 and hosting CSN&Y...and T. Jones joins in.

I was ready for some serious "It's Not Unusual" pop schlock.

Ummm...not so.

This seriously rocks-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Great find Steve. Jones can really sing, he just made a career out of a particular style of singing. He could have been a great, poorly paid soul singer. Also my favourite CSNY song.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Not sure how I found this-maybe the title and thinking this was a Dylan or Badfinger cover. Neither turned out to be true but I'm sure glad I crossed paths. Not a Joan Jett fan. Not a hater, either. Ambivalent but...yeah, thought this was good. Real Good-

Last edited by S2; 02 Jan 16,, 16:10.
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Gram Parsons and the Burrito Brothers doing, I believe, complete justice to the Gibbs brothers here-

LOVE HURTS but hardly from Nazareth's perspective. Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris, two voices meant to be one-

Comment

• In honor of Lemmy...

Comment

• From their LIVE DATES album, released in the spring of 1974, Wishbone Ash doing the instrumental, The Pilgrim-

Last edited by S2; 04 Jan 16,, 08:25.

Comment

• Van Morrison-

Comment

• A couple of things from Joe Walsh's solo efforts. Guy can seem like a complete drug-addled buffoon but he's a both a tremendous guitarist and composer.

Happy Ways-

Kick ass bass line in the above.

Country Fair-

Days Gone By-

Saw Joe and Barnstorm back Steve Stills and Manassas in the summer of 1973. Great show. Kenny Passarelli sat in with Manassas as, evidently, Calvin Samuels had the flu.

In July.

Uh Huh. Sure.

Joe and his backing band from 1976 doing Turn To Stone-

Last edited by S2; 04 Jan 16,, 10:28.

Comment

• Steve,

Way to bring it!

These are great gets....and iTunes just got some more of my money!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Australian band, Ska and jazz predominantly...these boys got a lot in the locker musically, 2 different leading vocalists, vocal harmonies, sumptuous brass, and seriously liking their pianist, one of my favourite new discoveries in awhile.

Song writing wise and style these boys move around quite a bit, so definitely seems you need to listen to a lot of their tracks to get a feel for their variety. I am only just beginning to explore them.

Comment

• Stones Parachute Woman-

V.U. What Goes On and Waiting For My Man-

and finish with the Stones from STRIPPED, The Spider and The Fly-

Oh! And, maybe, Jeff Beck Group Plynth from BECKOLA-

Comment

• Had a brief encounter with velvet undergrounds music recently and as I am not very familiar with their music will definitely be exploring their work more.

Stripped was my first encounter with the Stones, definitely a well envisaged best of/collection of tracks/live album. I liked the lyrics of The Spider and the Fly so much that I texted the entire song to a friend for amusement, I was quite young. Incidentally Jagger was clearly influenced by Mary Howitt's poem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sp...the_Fly_(poem).

Heads up, for me, the last 2 videos didnt work.
                          Last edited by tantalus; 10 Jan 16,, 19:37.

Comment

• a little bit of pacifika, seeing as its summer round here, the always mesmerising artists collective Strawpeople. The louder the better.....

and the Propellerheads team up with Shirley Bassey
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Iain,

Strawpeople? Summer? Stoned evening beach music. Very groovy.

Tantalus,

"...Heads up, for me, the last 2 videos didnt work."

Vids work for me. Spider and The Fly was one of those final two. Lyrics were what took it over the top for me as well. Some funny, sardonic sh!t there from Mick. Probably autobiographical also.

Velvet Underground? Let's not stop the party (so to say)-

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                                Iain,

Strawpeople? Summer? Stoned evening beach music. Very groovy
                                Steve, I don't play it often because I don't want to get sick of it. Last time I played it was almost two years ago, early spring after a hard days skiing at Ohau skifield, looking down at the lake of the same name all day.
                                I had my two kids and my girlfriend with her two daughters and we were driving an old '98 Range Rover we'd bought from a city slicker in Auckland.
                                We drove to the flats and I went off road to teach my GF how to do donuts in the alluvial gravel by the Ohau river, which everyone thought was cool and what a fine old car it was. Car says I? Humph.
                                Took over the drivers seat again, rolled it off the bank and into the river, water up to the bonnet and drove by feel and the scend of the waters surface, over the boulders to the outlet into Ruataniwha, with this music blaring on the speakers and the wee ones and my GF squealing the whole way. When treated right, life is an endless beauty of golden moments. Dobedobedobe doooh dobedobedobe :-)
                                Last edited by Parihaka; 11 Jan 16,, 06:52.
                                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                                X