No announcement yet.

What are your favorite whiskeys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have terrible memories from drinking crappy whiskies [three wisemen and the four horsemen]. This has prevented me from enjoying a whiskey. I still stick to rum and vodka and have not progressed beyond that .

Comment

• I've been hearing Amrut over & over, so last weekend I went over to buy 2 bottles for a gathering. Got only one, and bought another bottle of a brand I never heard before. Both tasted same. I drink neat, something wrong with my way maybe. But they sure are better than the rest of the Indian brands.

Prices are very competitive and cheap as compared to other Indian brands. Amrut = $ 35.5, Ballentine = $ 32.3
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Oracle; 20 Nov 14,, 17:50.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• For anybody that's looking to do a whisk(e)y tasting this holiday season, here are some tasting notes and anecdotes to help guide your tasting.

Attached Files
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          I've been hearing Amrut over & over, so last weekend I went over to buy 2 bottles for a gathering. Got only one, and bought another bottle of a brand I never heard before. Both tasted same. I drink neat, something wrong with my way maybe. But they sure are better than the rest of the Indian brands.

Prices are very competitive and cheap as compared to other Indian brands. Amrut = $ 35.5, Ballentine = $ 32.3
          I have never seen or heard of this brand in India.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
            I have never seen or heard of this brand in India.
            Neither did I, until a college senior told me about it. It's a blended scotch and for INR 2000, it's okay. You can try it out.

Interesting, Where whisky and whiskey are worlds apart
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Neither did I, until a college senior told me about it. It's a blended scotch and for INR 2000, it's okay. You can try it out.

Interesting, Where whisky and whiskey are worlds apart
              Sure will try it out if I manage to find it ...lol

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                Sure will try it out if I manage to find it ...lol
                I didn't go into the store to buy it, but then having only a bottle of Amrut, I started searching for a similarly priced alternative. It was lying in a remote corner. Goodluck.

Comment

• Just got a liquor cabinet the other day from a family member (they were downsizing - our gain). Well, it displays the whiskey collection quite nicely, or at least the Scotches and American whiskies :big grin:

Attached Files
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

• I was able to add a Glenmorangie 18 to the collection courtesy of Christmas. It is tasty, although while I still need to do a head to head with the Glenmorangie Lasanta, I think I'd recommend the Lasanta because of the value for the money.

Comment

• I just got a Caol Ila 12 year old.
                      Wonderfully smoky.
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                        I just got a Caol Ila 12 year old.
                        Wonderfully smoky.
                        Caol Ila sounds like a stripper.

I got fever, cough and cold, so I got myself an Old Monk. It's got medicinal properties if gulped right from the bottle.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Caol Ila sounds like a stripper.

I got fever, cough and cold, so I got myself an Old Monk. It's got medicinal properties if gulped right from the bottle.
                          [ATTACH]39631[/ATTACH]
                          old monk is the real stripper............paint stripper.
                          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• I think this fits best in this thread.

Will whiskey aged in space taste smoother? Suntory is set to experiment this month

Japanese brewing and distilling company Suntory Holdings Limited recently announced their plans to send samples of whiskey to the International Space Station in order to investigate the effects of zero gravity on the aging process.

Osaka-based beverage company Suntory is largely credited, along with fellow whiskey-producing company Nikka, with raising the status of Japanese whiskey in the world market after winning several international competitions over the past 15 years. Japanese whiskey is now often considered to be on par with some of the best varieties in the world.

Among their efforts to continually improve upon their prized beverage, Suntory will be sending six varieties of whiskey, aged for 10, 18, and 21 years, along with recently distilled beverages, to outer space as part of an experiment. Their theory is that the weightlessness of space will result in a smoother aged whiskey than is possible to attain on Earth. Employees at JAXA’s Tsukuba City Space Center in Ibaraki Prefecture recently prepared glass flasks that will be used to transport the spirits when Konotori Vehicle 5 (HTV-5) launches from JAXA’s Tanegashima Space Center on August 16.

The whiskey samples will be left on the International Space Station for an unspecified number of years before being brought home to be inspected. Unfortunately for drink connoisseurs, Suntory has already stated that they have no plans to sell space whiskey as a product to the general public.
                            http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/08/0...nt-this-month/

Comment

• I acquired some glen turner blended scotch intended for the Canadian mkt and for a blend it was superb , im hoping my friend brings more back to the UK soon .

Comment

• Suntory Yamazaki Single Malt Japanese Whisky

$49.99 at Costco.

Easily the best new (for me at least) whiskey I've tasted this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X