• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada uses gas.

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar View Post
      Canada uses gas.
      That makes sense. Our cars have to use common fuel because there's so much cross border traffic. Can you imagine if we put petrol in an American car that uses gasoline?
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Cheque.

That one bothers me for some reason.

"Did you get the cheque I sent you?"

"The cheque is in the mail"

"Don't forget to write a cheque for lawn guy"

It's spelled CHECK
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          I need to visit the chemist's shoppe today, after I put some petrol in my car.

Are we the only ones using gasoline? Most other English speaking countries use petrol.
          In British Indian english, you would go to a petrol-bunk(gas station) to fill up your car and, maybe purchase a can of petrol and put it in the dickie(trunk). You could park your car in the gar-age. And while you are waiting, smoke a F@g.

An Indian friend in Toronto: Can you please open your dickie?

Taxi guy: WTF? You perveted....@#$%^&*

To which we added,
          Taxi:WTF, you f@gg0+!
          Indian: Sorry, I don't smoke.
          Last edited by gilgamesh; 24 Nov 06,, 02:51.

Comment

What happens when you want to check your cheque? Or if your history of cheque writing is chequered?
            Would you, if you won a prize, be surprised?
            Would we be able to prise the prize from your hands, or would you check our ambitions?
            And would you have the presentation cheque lacquered? Or lackered?
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

What about different accents? Aussie variety, South African, Kiwi, Indian, Queen's English and run of the mill Brit/welsh/scotish/Irish ascents, then the yank and maple leaf version.

Can anyone explain why there is so much diff between Queen's english and 90% of spoken english in UK? Esp the commentators of SKY SPORTS? So much diff to understand some of their words.
              Hala Madrid!!

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                Cheque.

That one bothers me for some reason.

"Did you get the cheque I sent you?"

"The cheque is in the mail"

"Don't forget to write a cheque for lawn guy"

It's spelled CHECK
                You must be kidding me .. It has always been spelt c-h-e-q-u-e

Check is "check the basement for water seepage"

--

On a side note .. Isn't the Queen (and the entire royal family) of German heritage?
                I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by srirangan View Post
                  On a side note .. Isn't the Queen (and the entire royal family) of German heritage?
                  Well, yeah, because James lost his head (litterally) to Cromwell and your last Viceroy was Montabatten ...

Comment

Originally posted by indianguy4u View Post
                    Can anyone explain why there is so much diff between Queen's english and 90% of spoken english in UK? Esp the commentators of SKY SPORTS? So much diff to understand some of their words.
                    I've been told by Scotts that I have a Texan accent, by English that I have a New York accemt, by New Yorkers that I have an English accent, and by Texans that I'm a Scott.

Comment

Foking yanks, must always act different. Change the spelling of words, drive on the wrong side of the road
                      Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Well, yeah, because James lost his head (litterally) to Cromwell and your last Viceroy was Montabatten ...
                        Lord Mountbatten .. hmm .. what about him? They haven't taught us too much about them Lords and Governer General's and Viceroys in school history.
                        I rant, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by srirangan View Post
                          Lord Mountbatten .. hmm .. what about him? They haven't taught us too much about them Lords and Governer General's and Viceroys in school history.
                          Have they not!

That Curzon was the devil himself.

Macullay was the guy who introduced english in schools in India.

Mountbatten...he's generally potrayed the 'good guy'.

Weselly introduced the subsidary allaince.

Basically they teach us that the Britishers were a crazy lot, who were plundering our land, and killing our people.;)

Thats CBSE education for you.
                          "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
                          And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
                          For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            I've been told by Scotts that I have a Texan accent, by English that I have a New York accemt, by New Yorkers that I have an English accent, and by Texans that I'm a Scott.
                            Being a man for all seasons whilst being a verbal chameleon sounds like a recipe for success at the United Nations! Apply today, Kofi Annans tenure is just about done.
                            Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                              Being a man for all seasons whilst being a verbal chameleon sounds like a recipe for success at the United Nations! Apply today, Kofi Annans tenure is just about done.
                              If only Ban..blah..blah...guy was not there already!!!
                              "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late;
                              And how can a man die better; Than facing fearful odds,
                              For the ashes of his father; And the temples of his gods."

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
                                Foking yanks, must always act different. Change the spelling of words, drive on the wrong side of the road
                                A shrewd observation. There are times when I'm tempted to send a gunboat to the former colony.
                                Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
                                X