I'm bored: Moral Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the chimps!!!

Let's harvest the livers of PETA members.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Cause they are smarter and more like us. Now you might argue that if on the basis of their intelligence they should recieve better treatment, then maybe it would not be legitimate to kill them at all. To that I would say that human life is worth more than chimp life. Since I can make that distinction, I can also make the distinction that chimp life is worth more than chicken life.

Comment

I'll drink to that.:)
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Since it seems that nobody here really has a problem with killing chimps to save lives (I don't either), it seems like Dale's chimp vs HIV vaccine debate has really shifted to the "do you really care if gays or other 'dredges of society' die from AIDS?" debate. The fact that that is even a debate makes me angry. If there is a cure and you don't care about chimps, why WOULDN'T you cure HIV? Because there are other diseases out there? Unbelievable.

Comment

The cold-hearted reality is that we can kill all the chimps to save every person with AIDS but the vast majority are likely to die from starvation, or some other disease anyway. That's because, despite it being a very preventable illness, it's spreading, primarily in areas where overpopulation and lack of resources is already a problem. In the big picture it's not going to make much of a difference, but maybe we'll feel good for a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              They'd probably find a way to grow chimpanzee livers from stem cells or something.
              All attempts fail. Only real chimp livers are viable.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                Save the chimps!!!

Let's harvest the livers of PETA members.
                Livers of lower primates cannot be considered relevant. ;)

-dale

Comment

If the supply is limited then you have to start in the areas where the disease is concentrated since as a vaccine this would stop its spread the quickest.

In the case of HIV that is sub saharan africa. This would have to be a fair trade arrangement. I.e. they supply the monkeys as part of a bartering system to get the drugs out of the western drug companies at knock down prices.

Aside from prioritisation of the vaccine as above. I wouldn't discriminate. apart from anything else discriminating gives the disease a foothold for life.
                  at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth View Post
                    If the supply is limited then you have to start in the areas where the disease is concentrated since as a vaccine this would stop its spread the quickest.

In the case of HIV that is sub saharan africa. This would have to be a fair trade arrangement. I.e. they supply the monkeys as part of a bartering system to get the drugs out of the western drug companies at knock down prices.

Aside from prioritisation of the vaccine as above. I wouldn't discriminate. apart from anything else discriminating gives the disease a foothold for life.
                    For HIV it is the lifestyles we live that is the overriding factor that decides whether or not HIV gets and keeps a foothold.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                      For HIV it is the lifestyles we live that is the overriding factor that decides whether or not HIV gets and keeps a foothold.
                      Such as? Have you seen the rates in sub-saharan africa?

Here are the stats. With numbers of this magnitude it has past lifestyle and is now well into the mainstream. Especially in sub saharan africa, hence that is why i would deploy the vaccine there first.

UN report :-
                      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h..._06_unaids.pdf

Quick question what lifestyle trait would you say the 0.5m chldren around the world who where infected with aids this year demonstrated?

What about the third of million children around the world that will die this year of Aids? What is their lifestyle trait?

Show me the numbers, show me the lifestyle.
                      at

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        They'd probably find a way to grow chimpanzee livers from stem cells or something.
                        they can probabaly od that now. I mean the cloned Hitlers nose and a sheep so why not a monkey liver!:)

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth View Post
                          Such as? Have you seen the rates in sub-saharan africa?

Here are the stats. With numbers of this magnitude it has past lifestyle and is now well into the mainstream. Especially in sub saharan africa, hence that is why i would deploy the vaccine there first.

UN report :-
                          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h..._06_unaids.pdf

Quick question what lifestyle trait would you say the 0.5m chldren around the world who where infected with aids this year demonstrated?

What about the third of million children around the world that will die this year of Aids? What is their lifestyle trait?

Show me the numbers, show me the lifestyle.
                          If you lived in an area with a very high rate of HIV would you keep having unprotected sex, or would you adjust your lifestyle? When you continue to have unprotected sex in an area with high HIV rates, is it really any surprise there are high rates of HIV infected children?

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                            The cold-hearted reality is that we can kill all the chimps to save every person with AIDS but the vast majority are likely to die from starvation, or some other disease anyway.
                            Starvation? Not really. Sure, there are occasional famines in Africa, but that's not going to kill nearly as many as AIDS does. When's the last time you heard about a famine in South Africa? They've got tons of AIDS there. Disease? Maybe. But just about everybody's gonna die of some disease or other, so what's your point?
                            I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

The cold-hearted reality is that we can kill all the chimps to save every person with AIDS but the vast majority are likely to die from starvation, or some other disease anyway.
                              Simple. Once you've got the livers, feed them the monkeys.
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

If you lived in an area with a very high rate of HIV would you keep having unprotected sex, or would you adjust your lifestyle? When you continue to have unprotected sex in an area with high HIV rates, is it really any surprise there are high rates of HIV infected children?
                                You are assuming they are all born with it then.
                                at

Comment

Working...
                                X