Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Sims

Hi,

Didn't see anything else on the topic...

Since my color-blindness pretty much wrecked a flying career for me, I've had to fall back to the next level -- Flight Sims.

DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) is pretty much the king of anything military. They have very high-end sims of the F-16 and F-18, where pretty much every switch in the cockpit works. They've been branching into WWII lately too.

I've been putting out bunches of vids over the last few years. I have one of a Ukrainian MiG-29 shooting down a Russian Flanker. Got over 46,000 hits on that one and a bunch of Ukrainian comments too, so it was popular.

Add an A-4 to the mix. Fun little plane.

Comment

On the subject of your color blindness... Not sure where you are located, however if you are inside of US FAA jurisdiction, look at the sport pilot license certificate, which has reduced requirements. I do not know the details, but the info at the link seems to indicate that you do not need to pass a flight medical exam, but perhaps might be able to use a valid driver's license as substitute for the medical exam.

https://www.faa.gov/faq/what-sport-p...e-certificate#

Comment

Yeah, I know about the sport pilot thing. I'm certain color vision isn't required there as I was looking at it once. I was sorta pursuing it at one time, but money fell short.

It did mess up my USAF flying career though.

I think the rules are VFR only and fly within 50 miles of your airport.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
          On the subject of your color blindness... Not sure where you are located, however if you are inside of US FAA jurisdiction, look at the sport pilot license certificate, which has reduced requirements. I do not know the details, but the info at the link seems to indicate that you do not need to pass a flight medical exam, but perhaps might be able to use a valid driver's license as substitute for the medical exam.

https://www.faa.gov/faq/what-sport-p...e-certificate#

You can get a US Private Pilot Certificate being colored blind. It will involve a Statement of Demonstrated Ability (SODA) . Your local FAA FSDO inspector will take you a local towered airport and shoot light gun signals to you. (Hard in Nebraska, the Dakotas, MT WY)

If you are going to fly out of a towered airport. It's properly the same price for a PPL as a LSA.

As for flight sims. I loved Rowens Mig Alley. Great flight model, you could spin the F-86.

Comment

F-4E out for pre-order. Been looking forward to this one for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Zad Fnark View Post
              F-4E out for pre-order. Been looking forward to this one for quite a while.

With enough sim time you might then be qualified to buy and fly this F-4 Phantom. Got the change? Lot's of change.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search...-type=aircraft

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_1rsz_eyjidwnrzxqioij0yxatyxnzzxrzmsisimvkaxrzijp7injlc2l6zsi6eyjmaxqioijjb250ywluiiwiymfja2dyb3vuzci6eyjhbhboysi6mswicii6mju1lcjiijoyntusimcioji1nx19lcjzbwfyde92zxjsyxkionsiynvja2v0ijoidgfwlwfzc2v0czeilcjrzxkio.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1603752

Comment

Working...
              X