Apple Refuses to Fix Smokers' Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
    I never said I would include you in my habit.
    If you smoke around someone who doesn't smioke, then you are.

Btw, I work @ UT Southwestern medical Center in Dallas as a sysadmin- perhaps you have heard of them.
    No, can't say that I have.
    We have equipment out in places you would not believe. I think we call it "Situation awareness" as far as maintenance goes.

Smoking is NOT allowed anywhere on campus. Guess what? we see the same dust bunnies and crap anyway!
    Nor in buildings on United States Air Force bases, perhaps you heard of them? The building I manage was a hangar, my office is in the attached tower. It was built in 1928.

I can't tell you how many times, I have walked up to surgery room equipment that had "fluid x", and "goo y" on it and killed the device. No smoking there. Abuse - is simply abuse.
    You're beating a dead horse. Not once have I said that any of the things you mentioned don't cause failures. Not one. While you continue push the idea that cigarette smoke would have no involvement in hardware overheating and failure. Abuse comes in many forms.

Regardless, I'm done with this discussion, the merry-go-round is making me dizzy. You may have the last word, for what it is worth.

Comment

Yes, cigarette smoke can make you dizzy!

All righty then, have a good night and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!:))

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
        dust, that is what clogs fans, and causes overheat.
        you know what else causes computers to fail, cheap, crappy parts, that manufacturers use more and more. also assembly by ppl that have shit for brain.
        You do realize that tar is one of the products in cigarette smoke. Tar is the sticky substance that dust particles can cling to and removal of dust would be far more difficult than with out the tar. Therefore cigarette smoke would accelerate the overheating of a computer and making the life span shorter.

Now in the nine years I have had my MAC I have only had to do two things to it. Add ram the first month and last year put in a new power supply. That is it. By your definition my computer must have been built using very good parts and by people who knew what they were doing.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          Now in the nine years I have had my MAC I have only had to do two things to it. Add ram the first month and last year put in a new power supply. That is it. By your definition my computer must have been built using very good parts and by people who knew what they were doing.

Then again, I've been using both Mac and PC well over a decade all the while blowing smoke into them and I've never had a problem with them, while my co-worker, who never touched a cigarette in his life always seem to have problems with his computer.

There's too many variables here.

I'll go along that smoke can be one of the contributing factors to computer malfunction. But then, why are only smokers computer's warranties voided and not some guy that works at a job site where he has to wipe the dust off his monitor every morning before he starts his work?

Hey, if Mac wants to void warranties of smokers, that's fine...it is a free country after all. But I don't see them saying it up-front to potential customers, smokers or not.

Dale was right, I love their products but this is a gay-assed move on their part.

I was thinking of picking up a Mac for my home to supplement the one at work but...I guess I'll just buy a new PC.

And you begin to wonder why they can't make a dent into the PC market.
          Last edited by YellowFever; 26 Nov 09,, 09:11.

Comment

I will personally mail you a fine cuban when that happens!!:))
            You can mail me one right now. :) I do definitely enjoy a fine cigar occasionally. I meant smoking cigarettes.

-dale

Comment

Also, the story claimed the refusal was not because of warranty violation, but because of danger to repair techs. I defy the entire planet to find one shred of evidence that short of actually choking on a part from a smoker's laptop, that any amount of harm could come to such a technician from contact.

Hell, I've done more damage to myself just slicing open hands and fingers on the edges of those green cards than you could ever make up coming off of ciggy residue. It's just silly. And gay-assed.

-dale

Comment

Good

Comment

All righty then, have a good night and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!:))
                  And I hope that your Thanksgiving was good and that you didn't eat too much, well at least enough to keep you out of the dishwashing!;)

Comment

Originally posted by Station 22 View Post
                    And I hope that your Thanksgiving was good and that you didn't eat too much, well at least enough to keep you out of the dishwashing!;)
                    Alas, as usual I did. I'm afraid it's going to be all downhill from here, through Christmas ( notice I did not say "winter holidays"! ) and New Year, followed by the customery resolutions that follow thereafter!!

Love the holidays!:))

Comment

Here we go, the inside of my computer. I haven't cleaned it in 3 years. I've had this case for 6 years. As you can see, the dust covers the main CPU fan, the back of the video card, and the back panel of the case. The computer works just fine.
                      Attached Files
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

A Zalman heatsink!! Envy......
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Back when smoking was allowed on airlines (not really all that long ago, maybe 18 to 20 years), the outflow valves of a Boeing 727 had a brown tar streak 2 feet long extending from the outside of the valve, on the skin of the fuselage, and the outflow valve mechanism itself was continually needing maintenance as a result of the cigarette smoke.

Once smoking halted and the airplanes were cleaned, the longevity of the outflow valve assembly skyrocketed.

I'm not judging - I am a nicotine junkie myself, only the smokeless variety - but just stating observations.

Comment

gunnut,

man, that re-circulated air you're breathing in can't be too healthy.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Station 22 View Post
                              I've seen this replicated many times over.

How Cigarette Smoke Damages Computers

Computer Killers – Pet Hair, Dust and Cigarette Smoke | Technibble

As I said, the solid state components are not directly affected by dust and smoke tar, it is the resultant heat build-up that gets them.
                              So then, Apple should be refusing to service anyone with pets or dust in their house as well.

Comment

Personally , I'd like to see them put up a sign in their retail stores saying they won't honor warranties for smokers...and see where it gets them.

Comment

Working...
                                X