Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP for sure

Comment

You guys saying there are "Operating System"s other than Mac??

Comment

I'm jumping ship to Apple this summer.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Capstar View Post
          Why go for either... why not DOS

I use XP myself and will continue to use it until I see something shinier (very important) that works just as well if not better.
          I use XP.

I do have a Packard Bell 486 DX2-66 with 8 meg of Ram
          that I run DOS 6.2. I use it to play Duke Nukem and Steel Panthers.

Comment

XP Pro! Had it for 4+ years and it's worked just fine for my purposes.

I had my HD wiped and reinstalled once about a year or so ago, with only a minimum reinstall, XP, Works and only a few other things.

It's amazing how much more room you have when that software-bloat is removed.

Oh yeah and not that it matters for this subject, but I got Firefox a few months ago
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by n21 View Post
              You guys saying there are "Operating System"s other than Mac??
              Apparently. That's what all those cartoons about people hitting their heads on screens are about.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                Welcome to the light side Jedi.
                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I had XP on one laptop, but then got another laptop with Vista. I prefer XP, just easier to use.

My family used to have an Apple II+, and then I had a Laser 128 back in the day. I never warmed up to Mac though.

Comment

If you're buying a new computer and it ships with Vista, stick with it. If not, use XP :)

32bit fully updated Vista and XP uses only 3gigs of memory. R
                    If you want to use more ram you need to switch 64bit Xp pro or Vista, but they are not stable in my experience and if you have 4gig ram on your computer and you run it with 32bit Windows, reduce your ram size to 3gig. that makes your computer far more stable.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/

Comment

Originally posted by Mohan View Post
                      If your Vista OS is 32 bit then it cannot utilize the 4gb of ram. only 64 bit os of vista can use the 4gb of ram and beyond.
                      Seems your right, Vista just recognizes 4GB of RAM but can't use it all.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Have XP on one computer and gfot a notebook with Vista loaded.

Hate Vista...LOTS of lockups.....and then they handed me a Vista system this week at my new job!

Bought my first Apple in 1985. Upgraded all the way until 1998 with Macs. Had to switch to the Dark side in order to support software for my wife's work.

Have had PCs ever since...and hate them. But we can not go Mac because of Mrs AR's work requirements. Its proprietary software which is designed NOT to work with MAC.

The head of their IT department is a turd.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Give me Linux or give me death. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                            Welcome aboard! Before the switch jot down all the pc programs you are currently using and make sure Mac has a counterpart that suites you so there will be no rude awakenings.
                            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              Had to switch to the Dark side in order to support software for my wife's work.

Have had PCs ever since...and hate them. But we can not go Mac because of Mrs AR's work requirements. Its proprietary software which is designed NOT to work with MAC.

The head of their IT department is a turd.
                              http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/bootcamp.html
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

XP on the desktop. Have always liked it. After SP2, no problems.

Got Vista on our new laptop a little over a year ago and hated it! After about 40 updates and several months of frustration it works OK, but not fabulous. Still has start up hitches all the time and some compatibility issues. I wanted to throw it off and go to XP but was told by the manuf and all the tekkies that this laptop was designed for use with Vista only, no options.

And I have seen the dreaded blue screen 3 times on it and had to scrap EVERYTHING all three times to recover. THAT really pissed me off! Now I have a separate HD to back up everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X