Big Foot (Maybe?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dalem View Post
    This is America, he means make boom with fire stick.

-dale
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      My question is: so?

If some mytical creatures exist, like Nessie, big foot, chupacabra, or whatever, the population number is probably small. Small population cannot sustain itself. If we don't kill them, nature will. Nature has selected against them. That's why they're small in the first place. So instead of letting them go quietly into the night, we might as well bag a few samples for the museum. Then they can live forever.:))

As you can see, extinctions do not bother me at all. Most of the creatures that have ever existed are extinct now. There's no point trying to protect some boutique species just because it's slightly different than another more common and dominant species.
      My point is that if we are looking for the existence of such creatures annaihlating just because you don't know what they are does not help surely!
      But as said already, myself I don't look.

There is something similar though in the South of England which is the 'big cat' theory. These cats are supposedly panthers or some such (black normaly anway) and have escaped from zoos etc and private collections and live and breed over one of the most populated areas of the planet eating the occassional sheep once a year. I have even met one person who swear one walked in front of his car in the middle of Dover - no doubt en route home.

Comment

To make a more serious point - what would you do if you met an alien - shoot first?

Comment

Depends on whether it's a Vulcan "live long and prosper" alien or an Alien "I'm gonna lay an egg in your chest and bleed acid on your face" alien.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
            My point is that if we are looking for the existence of such creatures annaihlating just because you don't know what they are does not help surely!
            Sure it does. If you can kill one, you have just proven its existance.

But as said already, myself I don't look.
            I don't either. I have no time to look for some mythical creatures that might exist, or could be a moron in a gorilla suit.

There is something similar though in the South of England which is the 'big cat' theory. These cats are supposedly panthers or some such (black normaly anway) and have escaped from zoos etc and private collections and live and breed over one of the most populated areas of the planet eating the occassional sheep once a year. I have even met one person who swear one walked in front of his car in the middle of Dover - no doubt en route home.
            I saw that on the History Channel. I forgot the name of the show, but it's on mythical creatures. What is that all about? A big cat in England and no 2 people have seen it at the same time before? I bet if you can shoot and kill one you can prove its existance. :))

The same show talked about chupacabra. Someone did manage to shoot one. It turns out to be some sort of wolf-dog hybrid, maybe with some genetic problems. But it ain't no chupacabra.

To make a more serious point - what would you do if you met an alien - shoot first?
            I'll assume it's big foot and shoot it.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

As rare or as near to extinction any of these creatures are, the only way the so-called "OFFICIAL" scientific community will accept it is if you drop the body of one on the front steps of their "Halls of Ivy" for disection and classification on the ever-changing ancestral trees of Anthropoids, Canines, Felines, Fish or whatever.

The ones that say such creatures definitely do NOT exist are in the highest authoritive positions. But they base that opinon on their libraries, imaginative family trees and how professional they look when being interviewed for TV. Few, if any, have never gone out into the forests, plains or jungles for any significant amount of time to actually hunt one down. They probably don't even know how to pitch a tent.

Those that do leave the comfort of their offices and the 3-dimensional jig-saw puzzles of bone fossils in their laboratories are almost immediately down-graded by the above mentioned higher ups.

It is unfortunate that photos provided are of poor quality and casts of foot prints can be deceiving (and many are actually faked by the local residents) and the only thing that will convince even the most dubious scientist is a dead body.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Depends on whether it's a Vulcan "live long and prosper" alien or an Alien "I'm gonna lay an egg in your chest and bleed acid on your face" alien.

-dale
                One of your best quotes yet dale.

Comment

Originally posted by jame$thegreat View Post
                  One of your best quotes yet dale.
                  Aww shucks. :)

Someone should make a post with good quotes. A forum I used to be on did that - funny stuff.

-dale

Comment

-dale
                    In other words - how alike it is to you. But if the normal human response is to shoot first at anything strange we're not likely to make many friends!

Comment

In other words - how alike it is to you. But if the normal human response is to shoot first at anything strange we're not likely to make many friends!
                      Yes but at least we'll be alive to carry on the species.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Dude. Having five eyes or non-bilateral symmetry would be strange, but not necessarily counterproductive to an invitation to join the local Galactic Hegemon.

Shoving an egg sack down my esophagus whilst pulling my liver out through my belly button is NOT playing nice in any culture.

-dale

Comment

Shoving an egg sack down my esophagus whilst pulling my liver out through my belly button is NOT playing nice in any culture.

-dale
                          :))

Comment

-dale
                            So I need to find another activity for you on Tuesday when we go on afternoon break? You suck all the fun out of everything.
                            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Yes but at least we'll be alive to carry on the species.
                              While I agree self preservation is Class1 priority I fear you may 'blow away' anything that looks unfamiliar and this in my opinion is a mistake. How many species have we found cures from? What could we learn from an alien?

Dude. Having five eyes or non-bilateral symmetry would be strange, but not necessarily counterproductive to an invitation to join the local Galactic Hegemon.

-dale
                              I toataly agree Sir but the first non-earth orgnisms we are even capable of meeting are likely to be microscopic.

The problem is how would one judge; a. it's benign/hostile/scared behaviour and b. food or not? (The most likely response to something that looks like food here)?

My main point is that when it comes to things we know nothing about we should hold our fire.

Comment

Sure it does. If you can kill one, you have just proven its existance.

If you've just shot the last you've also disproved its existence.

Comment

Working...
                                X