No announcement yet.

Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn this global warming. It's less than 50F outside my house at night and it's not even winter yet. Northeast is completely frozen. Schools are out and 16 people are dead so far due to cold weather.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Bush lied, people got snowed in.

The debate is over.

Ron Paul.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        I think most of what climate change we are experiencing is natural with the exception of the depletion of the South Polar Ozone layer. That I attribute to the massive deforestation of South America and Southern Africa. Without those tall rain forests, you do not have rain. Without rain you do not have thunderstorms. Without thunderstorms you do not have lightning. Without lightning you do not have ozone.

But that's only my pet peeve.
        The ozone layer is generated by UV radiation from the sun, not lightning.

Also, while there is probably some feedback, in general the rain causes the rainforests, not the other way around. The rain is caused by air circulation patterns. Large masses of warm, moist air rise at the equator, which causes them to cool. Cooling leads condensation, e.g. rain.
        I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Damn this global warming. It's less than 50F outside my house at night and it's not even winter yet. Northeast is completely frozen. Schools are out and 16 people are dead so far due to cold weather.
          16 dead due to cold weather? When did you move to northern Siberia gunnut?

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
            16 dead due to cold weather? When did you move to northern Siberia gunnut?
            Heard it on the news. That's the number in the entire northeast region over the weekend.

Just today 2 people died in Oregon due to storm.

Comment

You forgot that they are inundated by rain, and they are in a state of emergency. National Guard are evacuating them.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                You forgot that they are inundated by rain, and they are in a state of emergency. National Guard are evacuating them.
                The crappy thing is it never rains where needed. You guys are down to washing your cars with beer and Texas got 2 feet of rain in a hour.

Oregon gets enough rain to flood half the state and the forecaster never saw it coming.

California had 4" of rain for the year. White water rafting sucked balls this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                  Almost missed this
                  National Center for Policy Analysis
                  Science & Environmental Policy Project
                  Marshall Institute
                  Heartland Institute
                  NCPA
                  Harvard University
                  CATO Institute

I'd hardly call these 'individuals'
                  But with one exception, Pari, they're right-wing think tanks or lobbyists! We can't include any of those (and you've put the NCPA in twice - I assume you don't mean the National Collegiate Paintball Association ;) ), or we'd have to include similar organisations from 'the other side' like Greenpeace or Al Gore's Save Our Selves outfit. And we don't want to do that.

By comparison, the science academies of all eight nations of the G8 group have reached a broad consensus on this issue.

The odd one out on your list? Harvard University - I'm intrigued. Can you show us that institution's position statement?
                  Last edited by clackers; 05 Dec 07,, 07:50.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                    But none of those other scientific issues are asking me to elect politicians or spend billions of dollars, are they?
                    Well, belief that smoking causes, not just correlates, with cancer is something that you can quantify in the cost of treating people at the end of their lives ... belief in an economy without rules can lead to an S&L or sub-prime disaster, and so on ...

But you're quite right in that if these models are proven correct, Dale, they will involve remedies that will impact on the economies of nations and the standard of living of all of us as individuals ...
                    Last edited by clackers; 05 Dec 07,, 07:50.

Comment

Damn this global warming. It's less than 50F outside my house at night and it's not even winter yet.
                      Remember, GN, that a rise in average global temperature certainly doesn't mean that locally everyone gets hotter ... the earth isn't uniform ... models may show that weather patterns shift locations, or greater extremes (hot and cold) may be experienced according to region ...

An example is that the rainfall in my part of the woods (southern continental edge of Australia) may decline, but it's counterbalanced by an increase in the rainfall into the sea even further south. Same amount of water, just of little use to the farmers ...
                      Last edited by clackers; 05 Dec 07,, 07:51.

Comment

Originally posted by clackers View Post
                        But with one exception, Pari, they're right-wing think tanks or lobbyists! We can't include any of those (and you've put the NCPA in twice - I assume you don't mean the National Collegiate Paintball Association ;) ), or we'd have to include similar organisations from 'the other side' like Greenpeace or Al Gore's Save Our Selves outfit. And we don't want to do that.

By comparison, the science academies of all eight nations of the G8 group have reached a broad consensus on this issue.

The odd one out on your list? Harvard University - I'm intrigued. Can you show us that institution's position statement?
                        LOL, every single group you've posted is a political institution that don't of themselves generate science.
                        All they do is rabbit the same Al Gore 'all scientists agree' political statement and disperse the billions of dollars in grants they get in return.
                        True to form, all you can come up with is a wiki article and the usual banal assassinations of anyone who disagrees. like I asked here
                        Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                        Whats next? Are you going to call them "deniers"? Or tell me they're all in the pay of Exxon?
                        and true to form, that's what you do.

here's another wee piece by Lindzen for you to read.

I'll just remind you Lindzen was a contributor to the original IPCC report, I'll highlight the juicy bits to aid your comprehension.

The original denier: into the cold

December 22, 2006

Most scientists who are labelled as "deniers" for their views on global warming don't embrace this role. They cringe at the thought of disagreeing with colleagues who think that the science is settled, they do their best to avoid making waves, and they fear being marginalized as cranks who disagree with the scientific consensus. Dr. Richard Lindzen is an exception.

Dr. Lindzen is one of the original deniers -- among the first to criticize the scientific bureaucracy, and scientists themselves, for claims about global warming that he views as unfounded and alarmist. While he does not welcome the role he's acquired, he also does not shrink from it. Dr. Lindzen takes his protests about the abuse of science to the public, to the press, and to government.

His detractors can't dismiss him as a crank from the fringe, however, much as they might wish. Dr. Lindzen is a critic from within, one of the most distinguished climate scientists in the world: a past professor at the University of Chicago and Harvard, the Alfred P. Sloan professor of meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a member of the National Academy of Sciences, and a lead author in a landmark report from the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the very organization that established global warming as an issue of paramount importance.

Dr. Lindzen is proud of his contribution, and that of his colleagues, to the IPCC chapter they worked on. His pride in this work matches his dismay at seeing it misrepresented. "[Almost all reading and coverage of the IPCC is restricted to the highly publicized Summaries for Policymakers which are written by representatives from governments, NGOs and business; the full reports, written by participating scientists, are largely ignored," he told the United States Senate committee on environment and public works in 2001. These unscientific summaries, often written to further political or business agendas, then become the basis of public understanding.

As an example, Dr. Lindzen provided the committee with the summary that was created for Chapter 7, which he worked on. "Understanding of climate processes and their incorporation in climate models have improved, including water vapour, sea-ice dynamics, and ocean heat transport," the summary stated, creating the impression that the climate models were reliable. The actual report by the scientists indicated just the opposite. Dr. Lindzen testified that the scientists had "found numerous problems with model treatments -- including those of clouds and water vapor."

When the IPCC was stung by criticism that the summaries were being written with little or no input by the scientists themselves, the IPCC had a subset of the scientists review a subsequent draft summary -- an improvement in the process. Except that the final version, when later released at a Shanghai press conference, had surprising changes to the draft that scientists had seen.

The version that emerged from Shanghai concludes, "In the light of new evidence and taking into account the remaining uncertainties, most of the observed warming over the last 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations." Yet the draft was rife with qualifiers making it clear the science was very much in doubt because "the accuracy of these estimates continues to be limited by uncertainties in estimates of internal variability, natural and anthropogenic forcing, and the climate response to external forcing."

The summaries' distortion of the IPCC chapters compounds another distortion that occurred in the very writing of the scientific chapters themselves. Dr. Lindzen's description of the conditions under which the climate scientists worked conjures up a scene worthy of a totalitarian state: "throughout the drafting sessions, IPCC 'coordinators' would go around insisting that criticism of models be toned down, and that 'motherhood' statements be inserted to the effect that models might still be correct despite the cited faults. Refusals were occasionally met with ad hominem attacks. I personally witnessed coauthors forced to assert their 'green' credentials in defense of their statements."

To better understand the issue of climate change, including the controversies over the IPCC summary documents, the White House asked the National Academy of Sciences, the country's premier scientific organization, to assemble a panel on climate change. The 11 members of the panel, which included Richard Lindzen, concluded that the science is far from settled: "Because there is considerable uncertainty in current understanding of how the climate system varies naturally and reacts to emissions of greenhouse gases and aerosols, current estimates of the magnitude of future warming should be regarded as tentative and subject to future adjustments (either upward or downward)."

The press's spin on the NAS report? CNN, in language typical of other reportage, stated that it represented "a unanimous decision that global warming is real, is getting worse, and is due to man. There is no wiggle room."

Despite such obtuseness Lindzen fights on, defending the science at what is undoubtedly a very considerable personal cost. Those who toe the party line are publicly praised and have grants ladled out to them from a funding pot that overflows with US$1.7-billion per year in the U.S. alone. As Lindzen wrote earlier this year in The Wall Street Journal, "there is a more sinister side to this feeding frenzy. Scientists who dissent from the alarmism have seen their grant funds disappear, their work derided, and themselves libeled as industry stooges, scientific hacks or worse. Consequently, lies about climate change gain credence even when they fly in the face of the science that supposedly is their basis."

Lawrence Solomon is executive director of Urban Renaissance Institute and Consumer Policy Institute, divisions of Energy Probe Research Foundation. Email: Lawrence [email protected].

CV OF A DENIER:

Richard Lindzen received his PhD in applied mathematics in 1964 from Harvard University. A professor of meteorology in the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, he is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and a member of the National Research Council Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate. He is also a consultant to the Global Modeling and Simulation Group at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and a Distinguished Visiting Scientist at California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Prof. Lindzen is a recipient of the AMS's Meisinger, and Charney Awards, and AGU's Macelwane Medal. He is author or coauthor of over 200 scholarly papers and books.
                        So sneer all you want and condescend all you like, use as many dismissive terms, libels and put downs as you like, dismiss 10s of 1000's of scientists opinions, dismiss people such as Lindzen who is actually one of the premier climatologists alive, but the simple point is that neither you, nor your priesthood can provide a single piece of scientific research that proves in real life that anthropogenic CO2 causes global warming.

All you've done thus far is prove Lindzen et al right: dissent, no matter what the mana of the dissenter, will not be tolerated.

So go on. Post some science rather than character assassination and politics, I dare you.:))
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by clackers View Post
                          Remember, GN, that a rise in average global temperature certainly doesn't mean that locally everyone gets hotter ... the earth isn't uniform ... models may show that weather patterns shift locations, or greater extremes (hot and cold) may be experienced according to region ...

An example is that the rainfall in my part of the woods (southern continental edge of Australia) may decline, but it's counterbalanced by an increase in the rainfall into the sea even further south. Same amount of water, just of little use to the farmers ...
                          Oh by the way, being so clever n' all, you are aware global temperatures (for what that measurement is worth) has been tracking down since 1998 aren't you? That like um for the past 8 years the globe has been cooling?
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

While I'm in the mood, another piece on the vilification of any deviation from the 'true science'

Chilling Effect

Environment: Newsweek equates global warming skeptics with Holocaust deniers and accuses reputable scientists of being paid to create confusion in the face of consensus. Galileo is once again on trial.