This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tronic View Post
    What's stopping someone from crossing out your indelible marker and frauding the vote? Are you not allowed to make a mistake and cross out your previously marked choice? Pencil or pen shouldn't make a difference.
    none whatsoever mate ,but it will be marked void , but i would rather that if thats the case than have my vote counted as a plus for a party i never voted for . But pencil does make a difference , watch the vid .
    Last edited by tankie; 25 Jun 16,, 17:24.

Comment

• Welsh Muslim told to 'pack bags and go home' following Brexit

Click image for larger version

Name:	Welcome to Britain.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1468910

Tankie, good or bad for people having work permits? :-)
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• citanon,

Nope. It will grow.

First, the the power of the European commission will diminish, leaving nation states in Europe stronger by default.

Secondly, I suspect UK will actually benefit economically by practicing transatlantic trade agreement arbitrage. There is already talk of a UK US trade agreement. You could imagine this could extend to UK and China. If so then UK might well achieve entrepot status as a smooth interface between European and RoW regulations. In other words, the UK might get more say then ever in trade policy and even European regulations, while making quote a bit of extra money.
        think you're overselling it. IE, -if- everything goes perfectly, yes...but for some reason i doubt it will.

"leave" is one of those theoretically good ideas that is far more problematic in the execution. i think it's a fair statement to say that there will be very significant costs to the UK in the short-term, moderate costs to the UK in the medium, and only IF all the right decisions are made will there be a long-term payoff.

as for the EU itself, my belief in their abilities to use this to "get their sh*t together" is far, far lower than my trust that the UK can execute this all perfectly.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• The first reactions from Brussels show they didn't get the memo.

Shame, a good idea screwed up by bureaucrats
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            It certainly ain't yours.
            Coming from a Gentleman who can read "a NATO exercise" from "a Polish exercise" and "Poland can guarantee Baltic security" from "the Baltic's are indefencible" should I read that as implying that the world is all mine, although I did not say that?

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
              Coming from a Gentleman who can read "a NATO exercise" from "a Polish exercise" and "Poland can guarantee Baltic security" from "the Baltic's are indefencible" should I read that as implying that the world is all mine, although I did not say that?
              The BREXIT vote and your follow up tantrum say it all.
              Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                The power of Eurocrats will be the true casualty of this vote, and the current crop of leaders will be on their way out.
                I am all for that but would still argue "united we stand etc" at a time there is a deep threat to Europe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  The BREXIT vote and your follow up tantrum say it all.
                  Did the £ fall 11% at one point? Or was that a "tantrum" of mine?

Comment

• And what's it at now? You panic and you threw a hissy fit.

Your tantrum saying that Tankie's generation/my generation ruined your future, destroyed the UK. Well, young lady, we gave you your future and we saved the West from the Soviets and when we see things we don't like and we acted within our rights, you're the one throwing a hissy fit. You lost your vote. Deal with it like an adult.

BREXIT and the Iranian Ayatollahs are launching a Chinese Pearl Harbour! Shessh.
                    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      citanon,

think you're overselling it. IE, -if- everything goes perfectly, yes...but for some reason i doubt it will.

"leave" is one of those theoretically good ideas that is far more problematic in the execution. i think it's a fair statement to say that there will be very significant costs to the UK in the short-term, moderate costs to the UK in the medium, and only IF all the right decisions are made will there be a long-term payoff.

as for the EU itself, my belief in their abilities to use this to "get their sh*t together" is far, far lower than my trust that the UK can execute this all perfectly.
                      Asty,

Perhaps, but i believe things going right for the UK is easier than you think.

Short term obviously the is now considerable volatility.

Going out next three to five years depends on how quick the agreement. Yes it's a complex matter but everything we do is complex. The real stickler is whether the tone and the goals of the two sides can be reconciled.

In Brussels there is a lot of undertones of punishing Britain but from Berlin and Paris? Zip, Nada, zilch.

In negotiations the EU will fold like wet laundry. This divergence of national and EU interests and goals will automatically spark off the power struggle against Brussels. But with Britain out, Paris and Berlin working against them and popular sentiment in Europe deeply dissatisfied, Brussels has zero political base and will lose badly.

To me it seems these things will actually go on automatic.

As to whether long term things work out better than status quo I think there you are right in that it takes some doing. Britain navigating multiparty trade negotiations to achieve favorable outcome and arbitrage opportunity takes considerable skill. new EU governance being better than status quo takes skill.

Comment

• What will the benefit of Brexit be if the UK ceases to be united?

Comment

I am all for that but would still argue "united we stand etc" at a time there is a deep threat to Europe.
                          That's just a slogan. Uniting for the long haul takes foundations that go deep.

And you are still thinking of the Russian threat as "a time" when it's more likely "a lifetime".

Comment

Did the £ fall 11% at one point? Or was that a "tantrum" of mine?
                            It was a tantrum of the market. Some times you need to treat the market seriously. Sometimes you need to treat it like a rapacious 5 year old.

Comment

• I am all for that but would still argue "united we stand etc" at a time there is a deep threat to Europe.
                              That liberal 18 to 24 age range, which is totally unwilling to go to war with Putin...
                              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• Originally posted by dan m View Post
                                What will the benefit of Brexit be if the UK ceases to be united?
                                I think Scotland find the EU rather less welcoming than it expects, unless they think that Spain, Germany, and France are jumping up and down to pump money into yet another broke small state to make scessesionist problems worse in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                X