Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure mounts in honours probe

Pressure mounts in honours probe

Speculation is mounting that the prime minister will soon be interviewed by police investigating allegations of cash-for-honours.

Scotland Yard's Assistant Commissioner John Yates has described his inquiry as in its "final stages", with a report due to be given to the CPS in January.

However, he has said he is "about to undertake" other inquiries - taken to mean interviewing Tony Blair.

Downing Street has declined to comment on the inquiry.

Ninety people have been interviewed by police. All deny any wrongdoing.

Mr Yates, in a letter to the public administration committee, said his inquiry team had "significant and valuable material" while "considerable progress continues to be made".

He said he hoped to give the Crown Prosecution Service a report in January - depending on the co-operation of the parties and individuals involved.

But he warned that factors beyond his control could alter the timetable.

"It is also subject to any additional lines of investigation that may result from the inquiries I am about to undertake," he said, but did not provide details.

Read more here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6156674.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Should any WAB member feel left out of the Honours system, may I assure them that 'for a consideration' (of the weighty banknote type) I too will refer to them with some ancient title. Naturally it will be on a sliding scale, so cheapskates will not achieve the higher titles given to generous donors.
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Blair did not exchange banknotes for honours, did he?

These are peccadilloes.

Minor indiscretions, compared to the Iraq war he embarked on!

Did he make a quick buck there?

Thatcher's son has made greater fortunes, in the Middle East as also in South Africa, I am told. He even tried to topple govts!!

So, these politicians are all skunks and weasels.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        Blair did not exchange banknotes for honours, did he?

These are peccadilloes.

Minor indiscretions, compared to the Iraq war he embarked on!

Did he make a quick buck there?

Thatcher's son has made greater fortunes, in the Middle East as also in South Africa, I am told. He even tried to topple govts!!

So, these politicians are all skunks and weasels.
        It might be more accurate to say all politicians are unprincipled weasels these days. Look at what Kofi Annans son was up to, so don't expect the UN to be any better than our homegrown self-servers.
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
        X