Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    500 billion in trade not in investment.

Thats a pipe dream. Trade with India (imports and exports) is currently around 60 Billion.

500 billion would put you in the #4 spot. Just below China. Not hearing anything like that in US papers.
    Not sure about US papers but this news started appearing from May and Trade already touched $100 Billion.

Sushma, Kerry discuss $500 billion target for trade - The Hindu
    External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj on Wednesday held discussions with United States Secretary of State John Kerry on the two countries’ shared commitment to boost trade and economic ties to $500 billion.
    India-US trade can touch $500 billion in 10 years: US-India Business Council - The Times of India
    MUMBAI: The US-India Business Council (USIBC) today said that bilateral trade between India and the US could touch $500-billion mark over the next one decade."From $25 billion in 2006, the Indo-US trade has sniffed at $100 billion last year, while defence trade alone touched $10 billion in the past one decade.

Comment

• Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
      None of the Germans or Japanese today started that war.
      Bullshit
      Suspected commander of Nazi SS-led unit found living in Minnesota | World news | theguardian.com

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
      None of the Allied countries' citizens today bled in that war.
      Quite apparent you don't know your own veterans.

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
      Everyone is dead and gone. Merged in the same soil. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Move on.
      That means turning your back on them and forgetting them? Not today. Not ever.
      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Batista View Post
        Not sure about US papers but this news started appearing from May and Trade already touched $100 Billion.

Sushma, Kerry discuss $500 billion target for trade - The Hindu

India-US trade can touch $500 billion in 10 years: US-India Business Council - The Times of India
        500 Billion$ over 10 years is nothing that makes news then. Because the current trade is at around 50-60 Billion dollars as per astralis and as per your sources it is 100 Billion$. I am not a whiz in mathematics but even to me that sounds silly and rather a downgrade

Comment

• Originally posted by commander View Post
          500 Billion$ over 10 years is nothing that makes news then. Because the current trade is at around 50-60 Billion dollars as per astralis and as per your sources it is 100 Billion$. I am not a whiz in mathematics but even to me that sounds silly and rather a downgrade
          Perhaps... at first I thought it was a 5 year plan.May be like 100,150,250,300 through years and finally touch 500 after 10 years.This would be in Trillions so let's see.

But Defense deals are increasing and US is providing stuff rather quickly.
          Last edited by Batista; 15 Sep 14,, 14:22.

Comment

Its about today's Japanese being able to openly respect and pay homage to their war veterans and their dead.

Its their right. And they have nothing to feel sorry or contrite about.
            You're right. It is their right to tell you that this man is no war hero and they don't have a clue who Bose is. And they did.

The facts staring at you right in the face and you're still trying to tell others what to think. Typical Nazi behaviour. Facts are wrong. I'm right.
            Chimo

Comment

We think of him as a gay butcher. A war criminal.

Will you stop considering him your hero?
              Who is "WE", your RSS friends?

Alexander at least has been viewed as an honorable enemy in India, due to the way his interaction went with King Porus.

Also, being gay is an issue with you?
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• The majoritarian view in India is the brits dragged them into a war in which they had no stake .Yes its the popular opinion.

Even most veterans xpress the same opinions barring those who fought the japanese.The war with the Japanese is an entirely story

Comment

• commander,

The atrocities of the Japanese has never made to any MSM in India as far as I can remember. Not even during my fathers time I can bet. Even the Holocaust iirc had never made news.
                  well, in the 1940s, the newspaper was very much for the elites, ie those whom could read and buy a newspaper. and they were certainly aware of Japanese atrocities in China. hell, the Japanese got as far as Kohima. as for the holocaust, most people weren't really aware, other than vague rumors, until the camps were overrun.

So it is not surprise to see many Japanese sympathizers and German admirers (I used to be one too). For us Japan had been this country that was decimated by the US with the use of Nukes crippling it's future generation who did no wrong and that gathers some sympathy from Indian side, also some admiration on how they were able to recover from that kind of damage.
                  it's a very reflexive view, ie viewing Japan and Germany through rose-colored lens. this was a serious problem with many Indian elites, including Gandhi. (although Nehru was considerably more nuanced.) however even by 1941-- let alone today!-- it should have been perfectly clear that both Japan and Germany would have sought to enslave India in a far worse way than the UK.

of course now the differences matter much less. japan, germany, UK, none of them now have designs upon India's sovereignty. however, one cannot simply whitewash the past.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

As the West always tries to do every time one of their leaders visits the famous shrine of theirs. I have never understood why I do not see many many more open Japanese fingers than those I do see. If this were India, you would see a giant 400 meter tall finger in brass installed in the middle of the ocean off our coastline.

And every year the finger would be venerated and bathed in ghee (clarified butter), rose petals and milk by the masses. It would be our newest festival.
                    Hehehehahahahahahahahaha ... well I wouldn't be thinking finger, especially with liquid all over it. BF, you are right about stupid people.
                    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by indian View Post
                      The majoritarian view in India is the brits dragged them into a war in which they had no stake .Yes its the popular opinion.

Even most veterans xpress the same opinions barring those who fought the japanese.The war with the Japanese is an entirely story
                      Three points:

1. Unlike for some other countries, in BIA soldiers volunteered. No one got dragged into anything
                      2. Part of the war was on our lands. You have seen what the Japaneses did to other nations. What makes you think they would treat a conquered India with kid gloves?
                      3. The reason why the World is not talking in a mixture of German, Japanese and Italian is partly because of the ass kicking from soldiers of a "reluctant" nation. Imagine what we could we have done if we had been fully motivated. That is a story to be proud of any day of the week

I know that we try to downplay our colonial past, but why do we downplay the bravery, gallantry and sheer badassery of our men?
                      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                        Three points:

1. Unlike for some other countries, in BIA soldiers volunteered. No one got dragged into anything
                        2. Part of the war was on our lands. You have seen what the Japaneses did to other nations. What makes you think they would treat a conquered India with kid gloves?
                        3. The reason why the World is not talking in a mixture of German, Japanese and Italian is partly because of the ass kicking from soldiers of a "reluctant" nation. Imagine what we could we have done if we had been fully motivated. That is a story to be proud of any day of the week

I know that we try to downplay our colonial past, but why do we downplay the bravery, gallantry and sheer badassery of our men?
                        Antimony , you should know it better since your grandfather had took part in BIA, how many known records in India do you know of the existence of BIA (available to civilians like me) let alone the reasons for them to join the BIA. I had an knowledge that Japanese advanced till Rangoon or some other Burmese city, partly because Tamil populace (from my state) lived and exiled in large numbers during the war. There are many movies about the war but nothing more than that.

I am proud myself after learning what our men were able to achieve about 6 or 7 decades back especially against modern militaries that were feared by then modern nations across globe. Goes to prove our men provided the correct tools and training are capable of incredible ass kicking. Alas all these had been forgotten or never passed down the generation. What puzzles me is what stopped the vet's of that war not passing down the information to their children and grandchildren. If 2.3 million volunteered and even if only half survived that is still a great number. Were they not proud themselves for accomplishing something like that ? Or was it something else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Hehehehahahahahahahahaha ... well I wouldn't be thinking finger, especially with liquid all over it. BF, you are right about stupid people.
                          Let me asses the damage from the spilled coffee all over my laptop.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• I am guessing at this point he is just arguing for the sake of it. Anyway.. History as taught to us was completely different and for someone like me (a Civilian) there are totally new and hard to digest. I appreciate those who helped me understand the Indian contribution in WW2 and what saddens me is that those brave men will probably will never be glorified/remembered either in their homeland or the other lands they fought to protect. Only in the memories of very few from those times like OoE.

BTW any idea on how many survived and returned home ?

Comment

• In other news:

'Sino-India disputes can't be isolated from economic ties'

Political divergences between India and China cannot be separated from economic cooperation, an article in a state-run daily here said today, ahead of President Xi Jinping's maiden visit to the country.

"Some Indian scholars hold that political divergences could be separated from economic cooperation when it comes to India-China relationship. This is infeasible," said an article in the web edition of Global Times by a scholar from the influential Shanghai Institute of International Studies.

"Besides economic cooperation, Xi and (Prime Minister) Modi will talk frankly about a wide range of issues such as the border dispute, the Dalai Lama issue and the trade imbalance," said the article in the ruling Communist Party-run newspaper, known for its usually nationalistic views.

Admittedly, there are many unsolved questions left over by history between China and India, among which the border dispute is the biggest obstacle to the bilateral relationship.

"Sound political relations are the guarantee of economic cooperation. Border disputes are the root cause of mutual distrust between China and India. But both are doing their best to find a solution," it said.

Xi's visit to India, starting September 17, is taking place amid assertions by Chinese officials that China is willing to discuss the future of the Dalai Lama, who fled from Tibet to India in 1959 with his personal envoy, but not the future of Tibet.

His presence in Dharmasala along with over 1.5 lakh Tibetan refugees has been a source of disquiet for Beijing in its strategic discourse with India.

Chinese officials maintain that India has ensured non-interference in Tibet reducing frictions between the two countries.

Today's article spoke of India's concerns over intensification of China's economic activity in South Asia and the Indian Ocean.

Xi will arrive in India after his visits to the Maldives and Sri Lanka.

The article said India is critical to the emergence of the new strategic concept of the "Indo-Asia-Pacific" from the military and economic perspective.

"Whether China and India can realise sound cooperation is the key to the establishment of the 'Indo-Asia-Pacific' community. Both countries should create favourable conditions to maintain the positive momentum of top-level communication. At the same time, they should strengthen media and grass-roots interaction to increase mutual understanding," the article said.
                              Source

If Chinese themselves views have doubts in this line of talks, no matter the amount of money promised by China it will account to nothing as it probably wont turn into real money. WHich brings the question, do we (India) really ( I mean desperately ) need the Chinese ? After all the chinese has better investment options in Africa and elsewhere without any of these political issues. Can India try to ban the imports from China until they promise to reduce the trade deficit and the border disputes ? We might be losing a big chunk of money but we can't risk our territorial sovereignty for some FDI right ?

Repeated intrusion by the Chinese troops and now civilians,

Chinese civilians intrude into Ladakh area

Ahead of President Xi Jinping's visit, Chinese civilians in government vehicles have entered Indian territory in Demchok in Ladakh and are preventing locals from working on an irrigation project there.

The Indian government sought to downplay the reports while maintaining that the boundary question would be discussed with the Chinese side.

"This is true that for the last one week, China is objecting and protesting against the work on an irrigation project in Demchok village which is close to the Line of Actual Control along with China border," Leh Deputy Commissioner Simrandeep Singh said.

He made these comments in the wake of reports that the Chinese Army had entered Indian territory and stopped the local villagers from work on the irrigation project under the NREGA scheme.

Singh said the Chinese civilians from a village across the LAC called 'Toshigang' were brought in government vehicles in large numbers to prevent the locals from working on the project.

Asked to comment on the issue, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said the "brave sentinels" on the border will address any issue that happens on the border.

Whatever happens there, they will handle it, he said.

Regarding issues on the table, Akbaruddin said the unresolved issues including the boundary question and questions about the media reports would be addressed.

Meanwhile, the Army refused to comment on the media reports about the villagers.

A Brigadier-level flag meeting was held in Chushul earlier on Monday where the issues of incursions and face-offs are learnt to have been raised by the Indian side.
                              Source

Comment

• @antimony

1)The BIA volunteered not out of some desire to protect the mother land or His majesty something it was a compulsion for the sipoys in most regiments the army is the only meanigful choice of income to them and their family a direct effect of the socio economic havoc the british unleashed in India

2)Look at my post I saidthe war with IJA was all together another matter most Sipaayis slaughtered the IJA after they heard watch they did to the captured PoWs who refused to co operate with them and also to the civilians rape,penal labour and cannibalization were few of the things they did and BIA regiments payed them back in the same way later.

But this ferocity was missing initialy when fighting the IJA also let me add my two bit to those Indians who lived in Burma and saw the whole spectacle Bose is as much hated as the IJA

3)The reason the world is not speaking a mixture of German and Japanese is due to the Soviet Red army nd Stalin.Inspite off all their faults the Soviets were the ones who slaughetred the Nazi monster. The ones who butchered the Japanese monster goes to the Americans

It it not a case of downplaying it is a case where most do not see the war as their war.The only front where Indians saw the war as their own was in Burma against the Japansese as the Indian nationals who lived in Burma saw the Japanese slaughter

My Great Grandpas memoirs has lot of episodes narrating events of Japanese Savagery and reading those parts gives me chills

Comment

Working...
                                X