• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanskrit and Islam

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...1-8-2004_pg3_3

From a PAKISTANI PAPER

WORD FOR WORD: Three Sanskrit words in the Quran —Khaled Ahmed

According to Syed Suleiman Nadwi, the Quran itself bears witness to the natural wealth of India by using three Sanskrit words only when it was describing Paradise. His other purpose was to prove that India was perceived by the Arabs as a kind of paradise or higher civilisation

My friend Masood Ashar has sent me a book by Syed Suleiman Nadwi titled Arab-o-Hind kay Ta’aluqaat (Indo-Arab relations) by Mashal Books. I can’t thank him enough because this was the book I had on my ‘must read’ list for a long time.

This is an old book and Syed Nadwi was the same man Allama Iqbal corresponded with while writing his great but controversial Sixth Lecture. Nadwi it was who went to Afghanistan with Allama Iqbal in 1930 at the invitation of Nadir Khan. But for Nadwi’s account, we wouldn’t have known about this journey at all, apart from the masnavi Musafir by Allama himself.

Syed Sahib was made a member of the first committee set up under the Objectives Resolution in 1949 to provide guidance for the Islamisation of the state of Pakistan. His progeny now lives in South Africa.

After Muhammad Hussain Azad, Nadwi is the second man with endless curiosity about words. He read widely among the Western orientalists in emulation of his mentor, non-polyglot Shibli, who got them translated to him in readings from Atiya Faizi.

Nadwi thinks that there are three Sanskrit words in the Quran and all three point to the Arabs’ realisation that India was the origin of perfumes and medicines. The first word is zanjbeel. It is referred to in verse 76:18 when Allah describes the plenty of Paradise.

The inhabitants of Paradise will drink form cups mixed with zanjbeel. Scholars have opined that this word came from Persian and suggest various early forms of it. But Nadwi says it comes from Sanskrit zaranjaber, the last part –ber being the name of common berry in India.

Zanjbeel means common adrak in Urdu. In English we call it ginger. In Heaven, the drink you will get will be mixed with ginger and will smell nicely of camphor.

The other Sanskrit word to be found in Holy Quran is kafur. In verse 76:5 it further explains the quality of the wine in Paradise: it will smell of kafur. We know the word camphor in English. Some etymologists derive it from the Arabic root ‘kfr’.

My Klein says camphor comes from Sanskrit word kapur; that is what Nadwi says too. Many Muslim slaves were named Kafur because the name occurs in the Quran as an attribute of the pleasures of Paradise. I have no idea why the slaves only were named thus.

It would not be right to equate proper name Kafur with the other kafur (going down of tipsiness) that we use in Urdu from the Arab root ‘kfr’.

The third word in the Quran could again be disputed. Once again the account is of Paradise and once again the reference is to wine. This time it is the aroma of the wine that is described as misk, 83:26. Some etymologists take it from the root ‘msk’ and relate it to imsaak (niggardliness).

My dictionary says that perfume known as musk comes from substance secreted by a gland located near the testicles of the musk deer. The word musk is all over the place, including Greek. My Hindi dictionary says mushk is testicle and small mouse.

The origin of the English word ginger is traced back to the Sanskrit group of languages by Klein. It is no doubt an old borrowing because it is there in Greek too and made its way westward from there. It seems that in ancient times India was known for its perfumes and medicinal plants.

According to Syed Suleiman Nadwi, the Quran itself bears witness to the natural wealth of India by using three Sanskrit words only when it was describing Paradise. His book shows how meticulous he was in collecting and corroborating facts. His other purpose was to prove that India was perceived by the Arabs as a kind of paradise or higher civilisation. *

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

An excellent article ... just goes to show our open-mindedness and the freedom of our press!

we don't mind publishing that our holy scriptures contain words of sanskrit ... not many nations share that kind of generosity ...

Thanks for an excellent article!

or Rather ... thanks ... Press freedom in Pakistan!

Comment

I umm have my own theories about the inter-linking of Islam and Hinduism. Islam dis-approves the worshiping method of Hindus, but no where does it state that they're following a false religion, like a cult that got out of hand or something. Islam Acknowledge, Judaism and Christianity but it states that there were a Gazillion Prophets before and in between all of them, most about whom we don't know about. They came according to time and need.

Anyway, I seriously find THIS argument to be kinda weak. Do those words meant the same in sanskrit? Berry and Ginger? hehe....

Comment

Hmm, wasn't it Sabians too?
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Sufis?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I once came upon this site, claiming to have started a new religion...... called........ QUAKE!

:D

They had all messengers and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
              I once came upon this site, claiming to have started a new religion...... called........ QUAKE!

:D

They had all messengers and everything.

Yahoo or MSN??
              A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Working...
              X