Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ray View Post
    Some other issues that I have gleaned from various posts:

Am I to understand that the student involved in this massacre would be making bombs for the purpose he used the gun?

And is making a bomb that easy that it would evade detection?

I am not aware of the US environment and so I cannot fathom if making bomb is so easy or not and also avoiding detection.
    Yes Sir he could. In any environment Yes Sir. Anywhere, any time. Even your own kitchen or bathroom. Anyone could knock down a wall with a bag of flour and a match.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
      huh? What utter crap! Take a look at India's crime statistics! If you say that India has a much greater potential for murders than US but looking at the murders killed with guns are very much lower than in US, that totally destroys the myth that banning guns will save lives.
      Uh, it would suggest banning guns saves lives. Widespread gun ownership would enable India to reach its full potential. Remember: threshold. Gun ownership lowers the threshold for killing

Comment

• Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
        Ineffective in what way?
        As in: full recovery from attack with knife or blunt instrument, -which is far more likely than in an attack with a gun, your exceptions not withstanding.

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
          This is good information.
          India has tough gun laws, but its murders per 1000 people is very close to USA without tough gun laws.

So the answer is that tough gun laws DO NOT PREVENT MURDERS.
          India has different incidents in colleges that do not go unreported, and are just as henious as classroom massacres.
          Why no Afghanistan, Pakistan and Sri Lanka in that survey?

Comment

• Originally posted by bandwagon View Post
            OTH: if you look at societies that do match that of the US, eg. Canada, UK, W Europe, there is a screaming correlation between gun control and murder rate. Non-gun related murders are of the same order. when you add gun deaths, the US soars to triple that of the others:

Non-gun murders Gun murders All Murders
            per 10m people

US 149 279 428
            UK 130 10 140
            Ca 100 49 149
            Aus 121 29 121

Conclusion?

(Notice murders in Canada compared to the other 2 with gun bans; is that because there is a ready supply across the border?)
            Perhaps it has to do with ghetto culture(and we don't even have ghettos!). Most of Toronto's gun related crime is caused by immigrants from the Carribean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post

As for the arson reports, that is largely unsubstantiated. Ditto for the stalking thing. Stalking is such a loose term. Hell if I followed a woman for 500 meters, that would be considered stalking according to your standards and some other people's standards, but then you wouldn't know that I was following her because she was going the same direction that I was. The point is that the police didn't have enough evidence to charge him and therefore no red flag showed up on the gun shop's computer.
              I watched CNN 360 yesterday night, where Cho's former roommates were interviewed. That guy was mentally sick, period. Too many people saw the signs early on, but could nothing. His teacher didn't want him inside the class, he was reported school authorities, but nothing could be done as there is no law compelling him to undergo therapy.

It is this lacuna that needs to be addressed, without curbing basic rights.

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                This is good information.
                India has tough gun laws, but its murders per 1000 people is very close to USA without tough gun laws.

So the answer is that tough gun laws DO NOT PREVENT MURDERS.
                India has different incidents in colleges that do not go unreported, and are just as henious as classroom massacres.
                LT,

Do provide some more info rather than your personal opinion.

India is not that backward as you wish to portray. We do have statistics. And our media is always upfront to show what a rotten country we are. Ask them. They will be able to help you.

I sure will be brave enough to face the truth.

You have seen the Australian statistic that indicates that gun laws have brought gun crimes down.

Are they fibbing?
                Last edited by Ray; 18 Apr 07,, 12:12.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Originally posted by Grim View Post
                  Yes Sir he could. In any environment Yes Sir. Anywhere, any time. Even your own kitchen or bathroom. Anyone could knock down a wall with a bag of flour and a match.
                  Unlike the US where the wall are of wood, we have concrete!

Maybe that is an answer! ;)

Bandwagon,

Thank you.

We dont require guns.

Like is very difficult as it is.

Nothing more is required to make it worse.

However, thank you for you annual college killings. It makes our drab life a wee bit exciting!

A cruel thing to say, but so be it!

Two Indian have been killed anyway!
                  Last edited by Ray; 18 Apr 07,, 11:53.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Unlike the US where the wall are of wood, we have concrete!

Maybe that is an answer! ;)
                    All the better for a bigger bang Sir.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grim View Post
                      All the better for a bigger bang Sir.
                      Indeed a bomb is required!

It will wake up the dead!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• I feel very bad for this boys parents as well as the families of the kids and teachers killed.

Imagine the guilt they must have knowing the child they raised was capable of doing this and wondering if it was something they did or did not do. Not only have they lost their son as well, but they have to live with knowing that he killed all these other people and they have to see him portrayed as a terrible horrible murderer (which he is but I am sure they never thought he was capable of this).

I feel bad enough when Mackenzie gets too domineering or bossy with other five year olds...I cannot imagine myself being in their positions right now.
                        "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

• THL,

You are too kind. Nothing unusual. You are a lady and a mother.

I have no sympathy for the parents of the killer.

They are scum.

They did not know how their child is shaping up?

Could they not have given this idiot of a killer some medical attention and not come to this sad state?

They have failed as parents.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I have no sympathy for the parents of the killer.
                            It's too early to tell. He either had a Personality Disorder or a psychotic illness. The symptoms of the latter usually do not appear until the late teens or later.

In personality disorders the most constistent finding is genetic predisposition, -a coming together of huge numbers of genes determining personality and psychological makeup. Some people with PD have suffered severe trauma in childhood and must fit in the equation in addition to genetic predisposition, but it is inconsistant and many cases are clearly completely genetic iin aetiology.

Apart trauma, there is no correlation between upbringing and PD (despite what was assumed in the past by Freudians)

So unless his parents abused him enough to cause severe trauma, I'm completely with THL on this and credit to her for identifying it. They are just as much victims. Worse: they will probably be unjustly villified, in addition to their grief and irrational guilt feeling.

Comment

You have seen the Australian statistic that indicates that gun laws have brought gun crimes down.
                              Sir,

That's the fallacy. Yes, gun crimes have been brought down but violent crimes stays up or even goes up when criminals know you cannot defend yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                                Another misleading part about this statistic is that Japan theoretically has ZERO guns, yet people are still dying from gun violence, what does that say?

I just heard today that the mayor of Hiroshima was shot twice in the back. Where did that weapon come from? I thought banning guns should remove gun violence from society.

In addition to that list we are missing Russia. Also gun related deaths in Ireland cant hold a candle to both knife and bludgeony in that country. Guns are illeagal with exception to scatter guns for farmers if im not mistaken unless it has changed since my last trip.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X