• Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	coronavirus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	1478710

here's a good graph for context.

Italy's lockdown on the 9th is finally producing dividends with the reduction of cases over the last 2 days.

deaths in Italy should start peaking fairly soon.

the US still has no unified policy on lockdowns and likely will not have one anytime soon. this is why the Surgeon General said this week would be bad for the US; even assuming the NYC cluster gets under control, that leaves the rest of the country.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
      Guy in the office next to me stayed home today because he has an intense fever, major dry cough, and shortness of breath. Can't get tested because his symptoms aren't severe enough yet.
      Tell him to self quarantine.

Good times, I'm getting smashed, anyone else want to join in?
      Would have been good. I'm getting drunk at night all by myself. Not a single soul on the roads then.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
        [ATTACH]48374[/ATTACH]

Italy's lockdown on the 9th is finally producing dividends with the reduction of cases over the last 2 days.

the US still has no unified policy on lockdowns and likely will not have one anytime soon. this is why the Surgeon General said this week would be bad for the US; even assuming the NYC cluster gets under control, that leaves the rest of the country.
        Whoa! 628 deaths in US. That's a pretty high number for a developed country, even if most are above 60 (doubt that). India's doing well in comparison, till now ofcourse.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
          Are you kidding me. There still aren't enough kits to do this ?
          Cannot speak for where GV is but, I sat in on a meeting friday. A rep from the Fla Dept of Health stated that there were 500 test kits allocated to the Florida Panhandle. A population of 1.3 million

Comment

[ATTACH]48374[/ATTACH]

More Americans need to watch these Italian mayors plead with their people to self isolate.

If they wouldn't stay in during a lock down they certainly continued as normal prior when they should have been keeping off.

Just like in the US

Now if Trump could say something like that .....

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
              I guess ex-military just don't get freaked out over this. Like I said, better odds than line infantry.
              Don't know what your odds are. But let's say you lose half the guys. That's 5 to 10 odds.

Listening to a vlogger in Wuhan, he lives in a housing community of around 500. 40 tested positive and 10 were suspect.

That means odds are 1 in 10 of catching the virus. Lose only 10% of the guys in a battle.

1 in 10 in Wuhan with community spread ie between Stage 3 & Stage 4

At Stage 2 the odds will be better
              Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Mar 20,, 06:33.

Comment

• Two things.
                First, those Italy v. USA charts need to be per capita, or per square mile, to be really useful.
                Second, let's keep the timeline in perspective when thinking this will all be over by Summer.

_ _ _ _ _ _ Spanish Flu _ _ _ Coronavirus
                1st Peak _ _Oct/Nov ’17 _ _ _ Mar ’20 (?)
                2nd Peak _ Feb/Mar ’18 _ _ _ _Jun ’20 (?)
                Reaction _ Summer ’18 _ _ _ _Mar ‘20
                Quacks _ _ _Sept ’18 _ _ _ _ _Mar ’20 _ 12,000 dead in USA, Sept 1919.
                “No worrys”_ Sept ’18 _ _ _ _Mar ’20 _ NYC, SF health commissioners (Sept ’18)
                No sports _ _Oct ’18 _ _ _ _ _Mar ‘20
                Bad Vax _ _ Oct ’18 _ _ _ _ _ _ ? _ _ _ a vaccine that didn’t work was used on 100,000 (’18)
                195k dead _ end-Oct ’18 _ _ _ _ ? _ _ _ first reports of violence against deniers (no masks)
                Oops _ _ _ Nov 11, 1918 _ _Spring Break ‘20 _ _ Big crowds gather
                All clear _ _Nov 21, ’18 _ _ _ _ _ _ ? _ _ _ _ _ SF announces the city is safe
                Oops (2) _ Dec ’18 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ? _ _ _ _ _ SF has 5,000 new cases in one month
                All clear _ _June 1920 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ?

Among those infected who survived: David Lloyd George, Walt Disney, Mahatma Gandhi, Woodrow Wilson, Greta Garbo, Kaiser Wilhelm II
                And victims included Frederick Trump, (The Donald’s grandfather), Henry J. Heinz (catsup, and Frederick’s 2nd cousin), Andrew Carnegie (pneumonia), and Max Weber (confirmed).
                https://www.acep.org/how-we-serve/se...ates-timeline/
                Trust me?
                I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  Tell him to self quarantine.

Would have been good. I'm getting drunk at night all by myself. Not a single soul on the roads then.
                  He is in self-quarantine. However, asymptomatic transfer is still a possibility. Not impossible he didn't already get someone at work sick.
                  "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• What Did You Do During the War on Coronavirus, Congressman?

While the rest of Congress and the Senate were passing a $2 trillion coronavirus bill, Jim Banks (R-IN) spent his time drafting a resolution to blame it all on China.

The bill was co-sponsored by Seth Moulton (D-MA), Kevin Hern (R-OK), Larry Bucshon (R-IN), Mike Rogers (R-AL), Barry Loudermilk (R-GA), Trent Kelly (R-MS), Mike Gallagher (R-WI), Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), Jason Smith (R-MO), Ralph Lee Abraham (R-LA), Michael Waltz (R-FL), Anthony Gonzalez (R-OH), Denver Riggleman (R-VA), Jim Hagedorn (R-Mn), Ralph Norman (R-SC), Eric A. “Rick” Crawford (R-AR), Bill Johnson (R-OH), Elise Stefanik (R-NY), and Randy Weber (R-TX).

If any of these idiots represent you, consider voting for someone else this year.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...KWICView=false
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                      He is in self-quarantine. However, asymptomatic transfer is still a possibility. Not impossible he didn't already get someone at work sick.
                      Any symptoms, breathlessness or fever, inform your local authorities and get help. You take care man.

Comment

• 'It's a two-way street': Trump suggests federal coronavirus aid will be given to governors who 'treat us well'

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...us-well-2020-3

President Donald Trump on Tuesday appeared to condition giving federal aid to fight the coronavirus outbreak on whether states "treat us well."

During a Fox News town hall on Tuesday, Trump talked about providing critical support, like building new hospitals and supplying ventilators, to states hit hard by the spread of the virus.

"It's a two-way street," Trump said of his discussions with governors about providing their states with federal aid.

"They have to treat us well also. They can't say, 'Oh gee, we should get this, we should get that.' We're doing a great job."

Trump used New York an example of how the federal government had put forward resources to support states.

"We're literally building hospitals and medical centers," he said. "And then I hear that there's a problem with ventilators — well, we sent them ventilators, and they could have had 15 or 16,000, all they had to do was order them two years ago. But they decided not to do it."

"They can't blame us for that," he added.

Several state and local leaders have criticized Trump's slow response to disbursing national resources to state governments. Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York City told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that he had repeatedly asked Trump to provide federal aid with the city's coronavirus cases continuing to spike.

"The president of the United States is from New York City, and he will not lift a finger to help his hometown," de Blasio said. "And I do not get it. I do not get it."

He added: "I can't be blunt enough. If the president does not act, people will die who could have lived otherwise."

Gov. JB Pritzker of Illinois called out the federal government over the state's shortage of masks and ventilators.

"This should've been a coordinated effort by the federal government," Pritzker told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday.

Trump responded to Pritzker's comments on Twitter, saying governors shouldn't blame the federal government "for their own shortcomings."

"We are there to back you up should you fail, and always will be!" he wrote.

Trump on Tuesday told Fox News that state governments needed to get the necessary medical supplies on their own.

"We're there to help them," Trump said. "They need to get the gear themselves."

More than 54,000 coronavirus cases had been reported across all 50 states, multiple territories, and Washington, DC, as of Tuesday. More than 720 people have died in the US.

Ventilators are key in treating a respiratory illness like COVID-19. But experts have warned that America faces a shortage of critical supplies in the months ahead as the number of coronavirus cases continues to grow.

A February report from the Center for Health Security at Johns Hopkins found that the US had about 170,000 ventilators, with 160,000 ventilators ready for use in hospitals along with about 8,900 held in a national reserve.

One expert has estimated that about 1 million Americans may need ventilator treatment during the coronavirus outbreak, straining the country's resources even if all those cases do not overlap. Shortages of other medical gear like masks have already started to affect US hospitals.

Some states have called on private companies and people to help provide medical supplies where possible. Gov. Gavin Newsom of California said at a press conference on Monday that Tesla CEO Elon Musk delivered 1,000 ventilators to help California hospitals treat patients.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                          We were also in the middle of fighting a World War. So, priority would have been more screwed back then.

And that is exactly the problem. Your personal health is your responsibility. I couldn't be bothered with Trump or Trudeau. I have bills to be paid. I have animals to take care of. I will be aware of those who are sneezing and coughing around me but I am not going to wipe down a $20bill just before I pay for something nor am I going to ask the cashier to dump the coins into alcohol before handing back my change.

I feel a cough coming on, I stayed home and play with the dogs.
                          Not saying you should go into a bunker.

But restaurants shifting to takeout, social distancing,closing schools, etc., are prudent public health tasks.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                            Any symptoms, breathlessness or fever
                            All of the above

inform your local authorities and get help
                            They said self isolate & come back when he's really sick

This is in Chicago

Ridiculous!

Comment

'It's a two-way street': Trump suggests federal coronavirus aid will be given to governors who 'treat us well'

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...us-well-2020-3

President Donald Trump on Tuesday appeared to condition giving federal aid to fight the coronavirus outbreak on whether states "treat us well."

During a Fox News town hall on Tuesday, Trump talked about providing critical support, like building new hospitals and supplying ventilators, to states hit hard by the spread of the virus.

"It's a two-way street," Trump said of his discussions with governors about providing their states with federal aid.

"They have to treat us well also. They can't say, 'Oh gee, we should get this, we should get that.' We're doing a great job."

Trump used New York an example of how the federal government had put forward resources to support states.

"We're literally building hospitals and medical centers," he said. "And then I hear that there's a problem with ventilators — well, we sent them ventilators, and they could have had 15 or 16,000, all they had to do was order them two years ago. But they decided not to do it."

"They can't blame us for that," he added.

Several state and local leaders have criticized Trump's slow response to disbursing national resources to state governments. Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York City told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that he had repeatedly asked Trump to provide federal aid with the city's coronavirus cases continuing to spike.

"The president of the United States is from New York City, and he will not lift a finger to help his hometown," de Blasio said. "And I do not get it. I do not get it."

He added: "I can't be blunt enough. If the president does not act, people will die who could have lived otherwise."

Gov. JB Pritzker of Illinois called out the federal government over the state's shortage of masks and ventilators.

"This should've been a coordinated effort by the federal government," Pritzker told CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday.

Trump responded to Pritzker's comments on Twitter, saying governors shouldn't blame the federal government "for their own shortcomings."

"We are there to back you up should you fail, and always will be!" he wrote.

Trump on Tuesday told Fox News that state governments needed to get the necessary medical supplies on their own.

"We're there to help them," Trump said. "They need to get the gear themselves."

More than 54,000 coronavirus cases had been reported across all 50 states, multiple territories, and Washington, DC, as of Tuesday. More than 720 people have died in the US.

Ventilators are key in treating a respiratory illness like COVID-19. But experts have warned that America faces a shortage of critical supplies in the months ahead as the number of coronavirus cases continues to grow.

A February report from the Center for Health Security at Johns Hopkins found that the US had about 170,000 ventilators, with 160,000 ventilators ready for use in hospitals along with about 8,900 held in a national reserve.

One expert has estimated that about 1 million Americans may need ventilator treatment during the coronavirus outbreak, straining the country's resources even if all those cases do not overlap. Shortages of other medical gear like masks have already started to affect US hospitals.

Some states have called on private companies and people to help provide medical supplies where possible. Gov. Gavin Newsom of California said at a press conference on Monday that Tesla CEO Elon Musk delivered 1,000 ventilators to help California hospitals treat patients.
                              The imbecile (I like the way the French use that word such je ne sais quoi) has run amok

Comment

So if we are 12 days behind does that mean our peak will be right around when I want to wear my finest Easter outfit to church? I have a new tie.

What happens if the Easter bunny gets sick? No Easter egg hunts?
                                Last edited by tbm3fan; 25 Mar 20,, 17:47.

Comment

Working...
                                X