Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If McMaster has lost the President's confidence then he needs to go.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post
      Correct, it also suffers from a complete lack (or almost complete lack) of product substitution. With most other goods and services rationing by price leads to consumers selecting a product from the range offered based on their price point. Doesn't matter if it's food, clothing, transport or shelter this rule applies (except at the extreme margins). With healthcare it doesn't. If you or a family member requires an appendectomy you have to purchase an appendectomy no matter what the price - no substitution is possible.

These and related structural problems are precisely why 'free market' economics hits a brick wall when it comes to healthcare costs - medicine is simply NOT a free market as defined by economic theory. It would be great (and so much simpler) if it was but it isn't. Hence the impending train wreck heading strait towards the far right of the Republican party.
      Actually, there is a fair amount of substitution (albeit not for an appendectomy).
      • Over The Counter remedies
      • Traditional Chinese Medicine
      • Acupuncture
      • Acupressure, massage therapy
      • Herbal treatments

and, of course sucking it up.
      Rub some dirt on it, that leg isn't really broken!
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

GVChamp,
        And since Krugman talks about trust, no, I don't trust Democrats meddling in this, which will NOT result in more efficiencies, but WILL result in me having to pay more dollars, for inferior care, to win more votes. I can certainly live with it (won't be the end of the world), but definitely not my first choice.
        Well, the Democrats produced Medicare in the first place, and then after battling the 19th century mentality for nearly 50 years, came up with Obamacare. Given the track record of the other major political party, perhaps you might want to reconsider your blanket endorsement of those who have a long track record of generating larger fiscal deficits by way of tax relief for the uber-rich.
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
          Actually, there is a fair amount of substitution (albeit not for an appendectomy).
          • Over The Counter remedies
          • Traditional Chinese Medicine
          • Acupuncture
          • Acupressure, massage therapy
          • Herbal treatments

and, of course sucking it up.
          Rub some dirt on it, that leg isn't really broken!
          Actually I would suggest there's little to no ability to substitute products. Over the counter remedies deal with limited number of mild ailments. Generic drugs have same active constituents as brand name drugs so there is the some limited degree of variation there but not a lot and for physical injuries requiring manipulation massage and acupuncture are not direct substitutes for physiotherapy. If anything chiro and physio etc tend to complement each other rather than substitute. As for most herbal remedies in the vast majority of cases the effect is either marginal or its just the placebo effect at work. Even antibiotics face a diminishing capacity to be substituted one for another.

For 99.9 % of medical conditions what the doctor orders is what you get. As for the the dirt thing and 'sucking it up' I believe that only works on Marines.
          Last edited by Monash; 09 May 17,, 13:47.
          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
            GVChamp,

Well, the Democrats produced Medicare in the first place, and then after battling the 19th century mentality for nearly 50 years, came up with Obamacare. Given the track record of the other major political party, perhaps you might want to reconsider your blanket endorsement of those who have a long track record of generating larger fiscal deficits by way of tax relief for the uber-rich.
            Well, I've discussed this with asty in the past, but I'm a Republican by default more than affinity for Republicans.
            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
              Well, I've discussed this with asty in the past, but I'm a Republican by default more than affinity for Republicans.
              Given the current state of the GOP, you might want to have those reflexes checked...and, I think it might still be covered under Obamacare!
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• Frankly as a European and recently British I don't get the Yank problem with free healthcare for the poor. Hell it's keeps people working and paying tax (even if it's mostly VAT), able to contribute and reproduce to continue making more road cleaners or repairers etc.. I have always had private health insurance since I started work but never had a problem paying 'National Insurance' in the UK because to me it seemed for the good of the country and those less able to pay for insurance than I. Not sure why you lot have a problem with these reasonable for the good of all and very basic Christian values.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                  Frankly as a European and recently British I don't get the Yank problem with free healthcare for the poor. Hell it's keeps people working and paying tax (even if it's mostly VAT), able to contribute and reproduce to continue making more road cleaners or repairers etc.. I have always had private health insurance since I started work but never had a problem paying 'National Insurance' in the UK because to me it seemed for the good of the country and those less able to pay for insurance than I. Not sure why you lot have a problem with these reasonable for the good of all and very basic Christian values.
                  It's called Medicaid. We already have it. It's not the same as Obamacare.

Comment

• And... he's gone

Comey fired by Trump
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• the false information he gave at his congressional testimony was probably the last straw.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                        It's called Medicaid. We already have it. It's not the same as Obamacare.
                        Er, what?

Obamacare expanded Medicaid to reach low-income adults previously excluded from the program and provided federal funding to states for the vast majority of the cost of newly eligible adults.
                        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• i imagine somewhere HRC is softly chuckling and knocking back a glass of cognac.

====

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/u...-fbi-live.html

Comey heard the news while giving a speech

Mr. Comey was addressing a group of F.B.I. employees in Los Angeles when a television in the background flashed the news that he had been fired.

In response, Mr. Comey laughed, saying he thought it was a fairly funny prank.

Then his staff started scurrying around in the background and told Mr. Comey that he should step into a nearby office.

Mr. Comey stopped addressing the group. He proceeded to shake hands with the employees he had been speaking to. Then he stepped into a side office, where he confirmed that he had been fired. At that point, he had not heard from the White House.

Shortly thereafter, a letter from Mr. Trump was delivered to the F.B.I.’s headquarters, just seven blocks from the White House.

Mr. Comey’s day had begun in Florida, where he spoke to a group of police officers. He then flew to Los Angeles, where he was also scheduled to speak at a diversity meeting.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                            Er, what?

Obamacare expanded Medicaid to reach low-income adults previously excluded from the program and provided federal funding to states for the vast majority of the cost of newly eligible adults.
                            Yeah, and....? Was there a point to this irrelevant response?
                            Last edited by Wooglin; 10 May 17,, 03:19.

Comment

• Comey fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                                Yeah, and....? Was there a point to this irrelevant response?
                                Yes, the point was to prove you wrong. Medicare in its current form is due to the ACA. Mission accomplished

Comment

Working...
                                X