This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
    One year? No, each line is an entire president's time in office (cf. 1982-90 for Reagan, where he shouldn't be held responsible for 1981, but gets credit/blame for 1990).

ADD: clarity ... the budget balance as a percent of GDP is an average over the same period.
    Looked like that. But the years look like someone is cherry-picking, so RR was in the office for 9 years but Bill was for 7?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• I'm entranced by the notion that twenty to twenty five percent of your population is viewed as crazy. Here it would be like five percent.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Pari,

what do you mean? don't get it or the figures.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          I'm entranced by the notion that twenty to twenty five percent of your population is viewed as crazy. Here it would be like five percent.
          What a relief. Thought it was much higher.
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            Since we talk stereotypes, here it would be even lower. OTOH the perceived level of ignorance would be above 50%. The easiest way to show people how biased they are about the Americans is to ask them to show you where North Dacota is on the map. I mean it's huge, who'd miss it, right?

Back to the regular program
            Last edited by Doktor; 04 Aug 15,, 20:18.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              Since we talk stereotypes, here it would be even lower. OTOH the perceived level of ignorance would be above 50%. The easiest way to show people how biased they are about the Americans is to ask them to show you where North Dacota is on the map. I mean it's huge, who'd miss it, right?

Back to the regular program
              It would surprise you to know how many Americans don't know where N. Dakota is.

Since we're talking obliquely about the 20% who support Trump, I will stick my neck out and say that most of them are not crazy. They're channeling through Trump to express their frustration about Washington's lack of action on immigration, etc. If that is the only way they have to let the rest of the field of presidential hopefuls know what's bugging them, why not. My sister was polled and she named Trump as her favorite, but told me she'd never really vote for him. Right message...wrong guy.
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• The danger lies elsewhere.He may turn to be a Caesar to the Republic.But tha failt ain't his.The system has failed or is failing.
                Those who know don't speak
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                  I make up most of the five percent because of my sheer irascibility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    Pari,

what do you mean? don't get it or the figures.
                    http://www.salon.com/2015/07/16/john...p_the_crazies/
                    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...o-john-kasich/
                    McCain (and others) say Trumps supporters are crazies. Trumps support seems to be floating around the 20-25% mark. Ergo, 20-25% of y'all are crazy :)

Leibniz

Comment

• ah. but that's 20-25% of Republican voters, which is what, 25-30% of the electorate.

so it's pretty close to that 5% of New Zealanders you're talking about...:-)
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        ah. but that's 20-25% of Republican voters, which is what, 25-30% of the electorate.

so it's pretty close to that 5% of New Zealanders you're talking about...:-)
                        Nice try Asty but no cigar
                        http://maristpoll.marist.edu/731-tru...-name-billary/
                        Face it, 20% of your population are bananas

Leibniz

Comment

• In fact delving into it, while only 5% of Democrats are a few sandwiches short of a picnic.....
                          http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-cont...es.pdf#page=26
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 10.11.48 am.png
Views:	2
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1463491

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                            Bananas or kiwis. In the end we are all fruits...

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              Bananas or kiwis. In the end we are all fruits...
                              Touche

Comment

• pari,

ah, you're optimistic. truth be told, given the state of the Republican party since Bush the Elder, i'd say it's closer to 50%...

i kid, i kid. sort of. ;-)

by the way, JAD, more seriously-- i think the support for trump doesn't arise from his policy positions (he hasn't really articulated any, unless you count "build a wall on the Mexico border and forcing the Mexicans to pay for it", or "solving our energy problem by a combination of fracking and conquering parts of the Middle East and taking their oil" as policy positions).

it arises from the fact that he says whatever the hell he likes and is pretty much the opposite of the Mitt Romney/Hillary poll-test-every-position-to-death-and-then-triangulate.

in short, it's about HOW he says things, not really what he's spewing. look at the fact that he said he's still for universal healthcare, but somehow everyone's just about ignored that.

if he said any of his various "positions" without his usual bombastic tone, he'd have been laughed out already.

Comment

Working...
                                X