X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winton
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    I realise that the temptation to tell us what you think you know about these things & then tell us how you think it applies here is almost too much to resist. I suggest you resist anyway. We have enough quasi-informed commentators on the status of diplomats, consular employees, soldier et. al. One more isn't going to improve the quality of the thread.
    well, I think it might be best to swallow your own medicine.

I won't be the one stifling debate.

The US has got itself into a pickle and my knowledge of that is quite good. I'm already devouring the news out of india.
    Last edited by winton; 19 Dec 13,, 08:19.

Leave a comment:

• DarthSiddius
    replied
    Double post. Removed
    Last edited by DarthSiddius; 19 Dec 13,, 08:11.

Leave a comment:

• DarthSiddius
    replied
    If that is the case then the GOI is putting its diplomats a difficult position. As was pointed out earlier on this thread & as you have mentioned, this isn't the first problem with wages [aid to maids for Indian diplomats. This should all have been sorted when that maid sued last year. Massive screw up. Can't help but think that the GOI is happy for this to be all about the nature of the arrest raterh than the reason for it.
    Screw ups and GOI in a single sentence isn't all too surprising, having a proper system in place to deal with such matters in the future will perhaps be the only good outcome from this whole fiasco.

I agree. Deals will be done.
    Another interesting development.

Devyani Khobragade arrest row: US looking for positive outcome, say sources

New Delhi/New York: In phone calls to Indian officials, the United States has expressed regret over the handling of the arrest of diplomat Devyani Khobragade, who was handcuffed and strip searched in New York last week. Sources said US has told India that they are looking for a positive outcome to the row over the diplomat's arrest and that "it should not have happened and will not happen again."

Sources say US has told India that a solution could be a state department I-card that gives Ms Khobragade full immunity.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ambidex View Post
    Recent one was when Pakistani working for Pakistan Embassy New Delhi was caught outside Indian Army cantonment Chandigarh. He was supposed to be with Pakistan delegation lead by PM Gilani watching Indo-Pak cricket world cup semi-finals in Mohali. Within hours India staff was abducted working in Islamabad, he was released only when Pakistani staff was released. There are couple of more incidents when Indian have picked up Pakistanis to retaliate, news published in newspapers. There have been instances when India staff has been beaten in Pakistan and same done here. I will see if I can search more.
    Ok, gotcha, the unwritten rules.

Leave a comment:

• ambidex
    replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Details please. I really like to know if my people can be good little boys and girls.
    Recent one was when Pakistani working for Pakistan Embassy New Delhi was caught outside Indian Army cantonment Chandigarh. He was supposed to be with Pakistan delegation lead by PM Gilani watching Indo-Pak cricket world cup semi-finals in Mohali. Within hours India staff was abducted working in Islamabad, he was released only when Pakistani staff was released. There are couple of more incidents when Indian have picked up Pakistanis to retaliate, news published in newspapers. There have been instances when India staff has been beaten in Pakistan and same done here. I will see if I can search more.

Got one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/1938884.stm

The two sides routinely expel each other's diplomats on charges of spying, and accusations of kidnapping are not uncommon.
    Last edited by ambidex; 19 Dec 13,, 08:06.

Leave a comment:

• Bigfella
    replied
    Originally posted by winton View Post
    India will probably not get an apology, but I'm sure relations will be hurt.

I think its a bit disengenuous for some of the pundits to be citing rule of law, when this is a diplomatic political issue and should have been treated as such in the same manner as how Us diplomatic staff are treated elsewhere or expected to be treated elsewhere
    I realise that the temptation to tell us what you think you know about these things & then tell us how you think it applies here is almost too much to resist. I suggest you resist anyway. We have enough quasi-informed commentators on the status of diplomats, consular employees, soldier et. al. One more isn't going to improve the quality of the thread.

Leave a comment:

• winton
    replied
    India will probably not get an apology, but I'm sure relations will be hurt.

I think its a bit disengenuous for some of the pundits to be citing rule of law, when this is a diplomatic political issue and should have been treated as such in the same manner as how Us diplomatic staff are treated elsewhere or expected to be treated elsewhere

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ambidex View Post
    I was enjoying when you all hypocritically started bitching about Geneva conventions, when India started hinting the about option at its disposal. You laws will look tiny when Indian police will start enforcing their laws on your diplomats. We have been picking Pakistani diplomats withing minutes. They have been told to count abuses during Pakistani custody so that same or more can be reciprocated here in India.
    Details please. I really like to know if my people can be good little boys and girls.

Leave a comment:

• Bigfella
    replied
    Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
    BF,

With whatever I have read regarding this issue till now, it seems that the DCG's arrangement with the Maid was an unofficial "SOP". That is, to have two separate contracts - one for the visa application to satiate American labour requirements and the other that carries the actual employment agreement. If this is the case (and I could very well be wrong), this would not be the DCG's fault but a problem with the process in place. The Ministry of external affairs has taken a decision to review this process now (long overdue!) as there have been similar incidents in the past.
    If that is the case then the GOI is putting its diplomats a difficult position. As was pointed out earlier on this thread & as you have mentioned, this isn't the first problem with wages [aid to maids for Indian diplomats. This should all have been sorted when that maid sued last year. Massive screw up. Can't help but think that the GOI is happy for this to be all about the nature of the arrest raterh than the reason for it.

BTW, something tells me she will not see any jail time, just a hunch I guess.

Leave a comment:

• commander
    replied
    Just to be clear, this isn't about 'support', just my assessments of how the situation might have been differently handled. The US Prosecutor is claiming that she wasn't handcuffed when she was arrested. The strip search strikes me as unwise in the situation, but it is not out of the ordinary. Otherwise I have very little sympathy with the accused.

I also have very little sympathy with the responses of most of the Indians posting on this thread. The conspiracy theories,unfounded legal opinions, obfuscation, claims of persecution & outright hysteria aren't doing anybody any good.
    Support as in voicing that whatever done was unnecessary so far. If you see my posts i have not much concern towards the actions of the diplomat or the maid both played the game and one got greedy . We were just furious that US gets to harass Indian delegates at it's will and this time stripping a woman went too far that we had to voice our protest strongly. Will be back this evening and eager to know what develops in the between hours.

Leave a comment:

• ambidex
    replied
    Non of you have been talking why USA has granted her family US visa, going against GOI and SC of India. All I am reading is incomprehensible rants by usual brigade who has the immunity to talk all the shit and flame-bait without the fear of moderation.

Originally posted by troung View Post
    Lawfully arrested on US soil.
    Not really, your ****** diplomats have been already regretting. We will see which law will hold her, in coming days.

Our laws do apply
    We will see what will happen during litigation. At present only some bravado act of local goons of NYPD is seen and rightly criticized.

Home girl broke the law in Murrika.
    I was enjoying when you all hypocritically started bitching about Geneva conventions, when India started hinting the about option at its disposal. You laws will look tiny when Indian police will start enforcing their laws on your diplomats. We have been picking Pakistani diplomats withing minutes. They have been told to count abuses during Pakistani custody so that same or more can be reciprocated here in India.

Crying and bitching like little girls...
    All I gave you good advise to behave like a top dog than spewing venom.

Admitting the act was done. She allegedly broke the law - no one really seems to be denying they lied on the visa and paid the woman less than minimum wage.
    Sell this snake oil to someone else or repeat it many time that one start believe your version of story but not me; after the revelation of her family got visa and flown to USA.

The ISI/SSG
    When we will call it ISI conspiracy then we will call it on your face without any guilt.

Another slack jawed paper nationalist who won't live in India... ;)

To people who make daily use of running water this is a non-story.
    Look who is talking. Flag of a different country bum licking of USA, hyperbole show of nationalist machismo and frequent user of derogatory adjective, known for flame baiting, always jumping at a juncture of a discourse when rest of the pack has started showing some understanding.

I have been chewing toys like you on many different forums even when I was living in India.
    Last edited by ambidex; 19 Dec 13,, 07:42.

Leave a comment:

• tbm3fan
    replied
    Originally posted by anil View Post
    At this point, the US govt is heading on a nasty path.

It it wants to argue with words(consular, diplomat etc), then the indian govt too can do the same with US officials in india.

If it wants to enforce US laws on indians officials in US, then india too can do the same. And I can guarantee you, indias laws are so handsome that every US official stands being thrown inside a classic indian jail.

Now, why would the US want to do that? Why would it want to play with words?

After reading everything here you happen to stand out the most. There seems to be in you a very strong under current of resentment or bitterness in the tone of all your posts. I know I wasn't bitter when Iran arrested those American students near/on their border. Idiots shouldn't have been there. Wasn't upset when the Korean war vet was grabbed by the North Koreans. The moron shouldn't have been there in the first place. So I'm trying to figure out why such bitterness in you. It is almost as though she was your sister or some wrong was once done to you. All emotion and nothing else.

Leave a comment:

• YellowFever
    replied
    Originally posted by commander View Post
    I would like to post a detailed rebuttal but I am now too tired to type... lots of typo's ... been awake for almost 18 hours straight now.. will be back later today and post my answers.
    Good night commander.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by commander View Post
    But sir , medical X-Ray's and X-Ray's taken to investigate someone for contrabond should be considered different and done differently , eventhough it is all X-Ray at the end of the day. I rest my case about to have a better system at place which will avoid embarrassment to both sides.
    The reason why I asked you about a chest x-ray and what you are wearing is to show you what would it take to see inside you with the minimum amount of exposure possible. Put on clothes and you just up the exposure. We need to see what's inside your anus. That's about the same exposure requirements for a chest x-ray. Now, do that for the entire body, with clothes.

Do you really want to be blasted with that much x-rays?

Leave a comment:

• commander
    replied
    Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
    No, but you talked about the slavery part like that was all there was to this issue. So if you can ask a general question, so can I.

I would like to post a detailed rebuttal but I am now too tired to type... lots of typo's ... been awake for almost 18 hours straight now.. will be back later today and post my answers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X