No announcement yet.

Boston Marathon bombings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I've been wrestling with, how did the bombs get in the trash cans. I assume the route was swept and putting a backpack in a trash can is so obviously a red flag in an area filled with police... Timing seems to suggest timed detonation. This points at the bombs being there pre-race. The explosives might or might not have been advanced, but beating a dogs nose is no easy task.

1. an explosive type dogs are not trained on.
    2. Packaging that could defeat a dogs nose
    3. Security failure in sweeping the route.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
      RIP and Sympathies to the victims and their loved ones.

This stinks of domestic terrorism, IMO - Tax Day? It doesn't really sound like a good day for an Al Qaida attack, the day has little significance to their efforts (the day the gov't takes money from the citizens?). As monstrous as it is, the effects are not what I'd expect from them either. A marathon race? I don't see any messages or efforts to target America as a country in this. The JFK Library? that is an odd addition to the target list, and no victims?

We need to see what comes out, analysis of the unexploded bombs should be very telling.
      I guess my opinion has changed, I don't really have one anymore, I am just puzzled about who did this. It now appears to be terrorists of the "international" variety (due to the bomb design) - first impressions can be deceiving. Still if it were an international terrorist org, I wonder why no claims of responsibility have come out? Lots of information seems to have been incorrect, the black powder/ball bearing bomb didn't make a lot of sense from the descriptions of the wounds, I would have expected to see round holes in things too - RDX/NH4NO3 w/Al does fit the injuries and damage described. The coincidental JFK Library incident really confused things.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

First, RIP to the lost and good recovery for the injured and their families.

Speculation.
        There is no political or ideological capitol in a non claim, it is more likely there will be a claim later when people have managed to run and hide and feel secure.
        If there is no claim then it may indicate a domestic source , still running for cover. The perfect cover and worst case would be several groups claiming responsibility but evidence is evidence, there are clues there already, in employment records, watch lists, movements in transport, credit card transactions, locked in CCTV footage hours days or weeks leading up to the attack.
        In an imperfect world people make mistakes, have bad luck, run into coincidence or do something foolish without even realizing it to give themselves up.
        I have faith that the FBI and other agencies will put it all together, it is only a matter of time. A good model for this was the London bombings where Scotland yards` operation made a clean sweep of all involved.
        I do worry though as OOE mentioned, and hope that it doesn't take our forces to yet another sand filled meatgrinder in the middle of nowhere. End of speculation.
        "Liberty is a thing beyond all price.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          Just caught this on the wire: ''Boston Marathon explosives were in 6-liter pressure cookers and placed in black duffel bags''
          Very similar to the July 2006 Mumbai train blasts, when 7 such devices exploded. The ISI had used LeT and the SIMI to carry out the operation. 207 were killed and 700 injured.

I will not be surprised if this incident vectors towards the LeT.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

he who can profit from this incident is the responsible...
            Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
              he who can profit from this incident is the responsible...
              Doesn't help.

A lot of people/orgs can make "profit" out of this. Being as the show of US weakness, promoting "idea", helping recruitment and even funding of LE agencies.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                The suspects.

Al Queda
                Al Queda in the Arabian Pennisula
                Taliban
                other international Sunni jihadist group
                other domestic sunni jihadist group
                Lone wolf jihadi
                Domestic right wing extremist group
                Domestic left wing extremist group
                Domestic lone wolf
                Hezzbollah/Hamas/PoG/Quds Force*
                I doubt its the hezzies, they're relatively rational when it comes to these attacks, the US is not Bulgaria. Same with Hamas, if it gets back to them which whoever did will most likely will, the US would crush them.

Qods force which is really the same animal as Hezbollah has the resources but it doesn't make sense either considering the the tense standoff with the US and they're amazing negotiation/stalling strategy. Opening the terror can of worms wouldn't be the greatest tactic considering their current goals.

The 2 likely suspects:

Al-Qaeda is always a huge suspect, this stuff is what they live for. They haven't claimed it, but iirc it took UBL about a month or so to claim 911. Also if it is them i don't see Al-Qaeda not mouthing off due to drones, they're a proud bunch and will readily dire for honor/they're message.

This seems like a lone wolf, either Islamist/right/left/international/domestic.
                One cannot but examine it.

Comment

Why is the "lone wolf" theory gaining currency.

What points to a lone wolf attack?

Its still early days guys. As some of my compatriots have pointed out, pressure cooker bombs are a signature in our part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                    Very similar to the July 2006 Mumbai train blasts, when 7 such devices exploded. The ISI had used LeT and the SIMI to carry out the operation. 207 were killed and 700 injured.

I will not be surprised if this incident vectors towards the LeT.
                    Therein lays a clue , London marathon next week , fingers crossed its not going to rear its ugly fkin head there .

RIP to the murdered .

Comment

I was watching interviews on CNN with ex FBI guys. The lone wolf phenomenon is more pointing to extreme right wingers than the jihadis.

My question is, would they do something like this in what is predominantly a part of "white" America?

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                        Why is the "lone wolf" theory gaining currency.

What points to a lone wolf attack?

Its still early days guys. As some of my compatriots have pointed out, pressure cooker bombs are a signature in our part of the world.
                        I was watching interviews on CNN with ex FBI guys. The lone wolf phenomenon is more pointing to extreme right wingers than the jihadis.

My question is, would they do something like this in what is predominantly a part of "white" America?
                        Well there there is a history of Islamist and right wing lone wolf attempts and attacks in the past, trunk sniper, Canadians plotting bombs, and Timothy McVae to name a few. So its likely that the probability is considerable given the factors and likely suspects.

Comment

Speculation is natural, but beyond a certain point (which we have already reached IMHO) not especially useful. Whether ex-FBI or curious WAB we are all waiting on the FBI & other law enforcement folk to methodically pick though what sounds like quite a body of intact evidence plus the bomg remnants, CCTV, footage from spectators & media etc. We have already begun chasing our tails in the guessing stakes.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

But what is especially nice, and equally ominous for the perps, is that this time there are no "leaks", no territorial squabbles and politics, and the silence is actually reassuring in that its clear that there is a reckoning coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                              Speculation is natural, but beyond a certain point (which we have already reached IMHO) not especially useful. Whether ex-FBI or curious WAB we are all waiting on the FBI & other law enforcement folk to methodically pick though what sounds like quite a body of intact evidence plus the bomg remnants, CCTV, footage from spectators & media etc. We have already begun chasing our tails in the guessing stakes.
                              Well yeah like you said its a natural to make assumptions, but it is a forum after all. I for one like to compare the discourse and the facts revealed afterwards. It contributes to the betterment of my thought process.

Also, if it is a foreign op, i think the IC and CIA especially will have a huge role in this.

Comment

But what is especially nice, and equally ominous for the perps, is that this time there are no "leaks", no territorial squabbles and politics, and the silence is actually reassuring in that its clear that there is a reckoning coming.
                                Im not sure what you mean by no "leaks", no territorial squabbles and politics.

Comment

Working...
                                X