No announcement yet.

The Life and Death of Pvt Danny Chen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The commander is responsible for everything his troops do or fail to do.So yes. But,if I were to be nuanced(which I'm not) I'd say I don't know all circumstances.

What I don't understand is why didn't the soldier reported the situation to higher echelons.Granted,I never seriously considered blowing my brains either.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Shame

Comment

Z,there's something I never considered before.Why above platoon level they're commanders,while at platoon and below they're leaders.To us everyone from fireteam to the theater commander is a commander,while leadership is an atitude and the manifestation of certain traits.Well,in theory at least...
        What's the your underlying philosophy ?
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
          Z,there's something I never considered before.Why above platoon level they're commanders,while at platoon and below they're leaders.To us everyone from fireteam to the theater commander is a commander,while leadership is an atitude and the manifestation of certain traits.Well,in theory at least...
          What's the your underlying philosophy ?

In the US Army the term commander has a specific legal connotation regarding the ability to promote and demote personnel, management of funds, etc. A platoon leader, squad leader, etc, is someone who has authority and responsibility which does not rise to the level of command. I know in the USMC platoon commanders but I am not sure how that works for them.

As for the leadership above platoon in this case? That is why I say everyone from team leader to company commander is gone and that the IG is crawling up the ass of the battalion and brigade commanders & command sergeants major.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

either way, the leadership has insufficient SA on what's going on at the lower echelons, or (worse yet) they are promoting a culture in which this type of behavior is acceptable.

neither speaks well towards the quality of leadership.

here's another disturbing thought: what if pvt chen had just continued to meekly submit to this type of degradation/torture-- got through his time and then quit, or commit suicide stateside?

how many of these bad actors would have continued to stay in and get promoted?
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

News - Stripes

This is how the chain of command should have acted.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                News - Stripes

This is how the chain of command should have acted.
                Have quietly followed this and read the link you provided. Scrolling down through the comments I ran across one that reminded me of one or two in this thread...

Just asking, IF this kid is so weak, how did he get this far. Has military boot camps got so politically correct that people not mentally strong are graduating?

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  Have quietly followed this and read the link you provided. Scrolling down through the comments I ran across one that reminded me of one or two in this thread...
                  The kid graduated basic training and advanced individual training, meaning that he met the required standards. Also, you don't have to worry about mortar or rocket fire hitting your quarters during basic training. You don't get shot at during basic training. You get IED'd during basic training. You don't get opportunities to see your close friends lose limbs or eyesight or die of wounds during basic training. People that may seem strong during basic training may hit a breaking point. Troubles at home magnify your problems when you're halfway around the globe, as your powerless to help at home. There's plenty of reasons other than trying to pin it on being mentally weak. You can start by pinning it on being human.
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

christ jesus, talk about getting off with a slap on the wrist 30 days of prison, reduction in rank and a $1000 fine?? why no dishonorable discharge?

Soldier sentenced over death of fellow serviceman - CNN.com
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

How long has Danny Chen's unit been in a combat zone without relief?
                      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

this entire saga has seriously left a bad taste in my mouth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/ny...s-suicide.html

Army Officer Reaches Deal in the Suicide of a Private
                        By KIRK SEMPLE
                        Published: December 17, 2012

The only officer to be implicated in the death of Pvt. Danny Chen, the Chinese-American infantryman from New York City who killed himself last year while he was deployed in Afghanistan, will avoid a trial but be thrown out of the military under a deal with prosecutors, the Army said Monday.

The deal was requested by the officer, First Lt. Daniel L. Schwartz, and agreed to by prosecutors, who consulted with Private Chen’s parents at a meeting in the city two weeks ago, officials said.

The case was the last of eight to stem from the death of Private Chen, 19, who killed himself in October 2011 while on guard duty on a military base in Afghanistan. Prosecutors contended that other soldiers had subjected him to a campaign of brutal hazing, including racial taunts and a physical attack, eventually driving him to suicide.

The death resonated with Asians around the country, leading some to question whether a pattern of discrimination against Asians existed in the military and highlighting the somewhat ambivalent relationship between the armed forces and Asians, who have historically enlisted at lower rates than other ethnic groups.

Private Chen’s death and the resulting uproar also compelled the Army to re-examine its policies against hazing and, officials said, double its efforts to eradicate the practice from its ranks.

Lieutenant Schwartz, who was Private Chen’s platoon leader, was accused of dereliction of duty for failing “to foster a climate in which everyone is treated with dignity and respect, regardless of race” and “failing to prevent his subordinates from maltreating and engaging in racially abusive language,” according to the charging documents.

He was also accused of failing to report two soldiers for consuming alcohol in violation of military rules and failing to report one of those soldiers for “recklessly” detonating a hand grenade near their base.

Officials, citing confidentiality rules, did not reveal the full terms of the plea agreement.

The courts-martial in the Chen case began in July with the trial of Sgt. Adam M. Holcomb, who was found guilty of maltreatment and assault. The jury, however, acquitted him of the most serious charges.

Sergeant Holcomb was sentenced to 30 days in prison, demoted a rank and forced to forfeit one month’s pay. He had faced a sentence of up to two years in prison and a punitive discharge.

Four other soldiers received demotions and prison sentences for their treatment of Private Chen, and two received demotions but avoided prison time.

Elizabeth R. OuYang, president of the New York chapter of OCA, a civil-rights group that has advocated on behalf of the Chen family, expressed her disappointment. “These light sentences do not give justice to the life of Pvt. Danny Chen,” she said.

Private Chen’s parents, both Chinese immigrants who do not speak English, attended five of the trials, held at Fort Bragg, in North Carolina. They were accompanied by supporters.

“It’s been very long, very difficult on the family,” Ms. OuYang said. “I hope people can appreciate a monolingual immigrant family having to sit through so many of these trials and hearing what was done to their son.”

Comment

Working...
                        X