No announcement yet.

'Raghead' slur is new ugly twist in S.C. race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nice to know where a person attempting to wield power gets their ethics from.
    Does that mean an atheist has no chance as if now ??? I always thought until now US stands for liberalism and hardwork rather than on race or religion.

Comment

Originally posted by martinmystry View Post
      Does that mean an atheist has no chance as if now ??? I always thought until now US stands for liberalism and hardwork rather than on race or religion.
      No, that is what Americans (especially conservatives) like to believe. the truth is a wee bit messier.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

No, that is what Americans (especially conservatives) like to believe. the truth is a wee bit messier.
        Then the line between Islamist radicals and Conservative americans is subtle. Both want to cling to the values they hold and resist "Change".

Comment

Then the line between Islamist radicals and Conservative americans is subtle. Both want to cling to the values they hold and resist "Change".

Only viewed from a particular perspective. Both (or at least elements of both) have certainly invented an idealized past against which anyone who disagrees with them will most certainly fail (though they are hardly alone in this). There are many, many more differences, however. Not the least of these is that the idealized past of American conservatives allows for freedom & democracy (though there are divisions between more libertarian & more statist types - some of whom would use their religious beliefs to direct state policy), while the idealized past of the islamists you are thinking of is the very nastiest of theocracies.

I'm probably going to get jumped on for this. Oh well.
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Only viewed from a particular perspective.
            Agreed !!!
            Not the least of these is that the idealized past of American conservatives allows for freedom & democracy (though there are divisions between more libertarian & more statist types - some of whom would use their religious beliefs to direct state policy), while the idealized past of the islamists you are thinking of is the very nastiest of theocracies.
            There are many differences but I still don't get that US society is one of the most conservative one. They still don't have any women Prez until now and a black person as Prez only in 2009. It just reminds me of the song "Where is love" by black eyed peas. There are people trying to kill Obama just cause of his color (even though I also hate him for entirely different reasons ), then the US supported the Radicals for it's own advantage in A-stan and helped Pak's ISI in preaching Radicalism whose effect could be seen in both A-stan and Kashmir.

The religion conservatism thus imparted by US has far reaching consequences from 9/11, to kashmir, to A-stan, to Chechnya, to Iran. The US started the modern day terrorism to achieve the super-power status and is now feeling it's ramifications.

Unless the conservatism gives rise to equality and liberalism, the same will affect the world and US. Religion shouldn't matter unless it's not a peaceful one, and hardwork/Innovation should be the only criteria for selection in elections. Although that would be like hoping for Utopia.

Comment

Agreed !!!

There are many differences but I still don't get that US society is one of the most conservative one. They still don't have any women Prez until now and a black person as Prez only in 2009. It just reminds me of the song "Where is love" by black eyed peas. There are people trying to kill Obama just cause of his color (even though I also hate him for entirely different reasons ), then the US supported the Radicals for it's own advantage in A-stan and helped Pak's ISI in preaching Radicalism whose effect could be seen in both A-stan and Kashmir.

The religion conservatism thus imparted by US has far reaching consequences from 9/11, to kashmir, to A-stan, to Chechnya, to Iran. The US started the modern day terrorism to achieve the super-power status and is now feeling it's ramifications.

Unless the conservatism gives rise to equality and liberalism, the same will affect the world and US. Religion shouldn't matter unless it's not a peaceful one, and hardwork/Innovation should be the only criteria for selection in elections. Although that would be like hoping for Utopia.
              You fail at English, what the F*ck is a Prez, I know what a Pez is, but whats a Prez? Who is trying to kill Obama, if you have information have you let the Secret Service know? Oh finally, the US became a super power when we had the A-bomb, 100 aircraft carriers, 20 something battleships and 12,000 combat aircraft in other words 1945, not 1979.

Comment

...They still don't have any women Prez until now and a black person as Prez only in 2009.
                Why should the US elect a president based on gender or race? How many european countries have had a black president or prime minister?
                That's a bunch on nonsense. The US promotes freedom of religion. It's in the Constitution. I am a lifelong atheist, and I have never experienced any sort of discrimination for religious reasons. I have been preached to on occasion, but always left alone when asked to be.

We don't export religious conservatism to muslim countries, and the problems in Kashmir and Chechnya have nothing to do with religion in the US. The support for the Afghan mujahadeen was part of the cold war power struggle, and Iran was about oil.

The rise of modern day terrorism (as in the murder of civilians for political reasons) was started by the palestinians in Munich and has been supported by other Arab countries ever since.
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

No chance? Not really. We atheists have ethics too. :) It's just another factor to evaluate someone on.

-dale

Comment

You fail at English, what the F*ck is a Prez, I know what a Pez is, but whats a Prez?
                    I don't need a f*cking certificate from you, or do I ???

Who is trying to kill Obama, if you have information have you let the Secret Service know?
                    They are your fellow Americans, the fascists, the KKK. US secret service personnel acknowledged it to the Washington post a few months back. They admitted that many white supremacist groups are planning to assassinate Obama.
                    Oh finally, the US became a super power when we had the A-bomb
                    Corrected to "the US became one of the super power when we had the A-bomb". They became the sole superpower only after the so called mujaheddin drama in A-stan.
                    12,000 combat aircraft in other words 1945, not 1979.
                    Then why demonized the Soviets for more than 40 years ??? Weren't the 12,000 combat aircraft enough ???
                    The US promotes freedom of religion. It's in the Constitution. I am a lifelong atheist, and I have never experienced any sort of discrimination for religious reasons. I have been preached to on occasion, but always left alone when asked to be.
                    Then why is religion so important that people have to prove that they are Christians. Why was M/s Haley's religious affiliations questioned ???
                    We don't export religious conservatism to muslim countries, and the problems in Kashmir and Chechnya have nothing to do with religion in the US. The support for the Afghan mujahadeen was part of the cold war power struggle, and Iran was about oil.
                    Then why was there no insurrection in Kashmir before US preached mujaheddin violence in A-stan. Pakistan has been associated with both Kashmir & Chechnya and they started it with the art they learn from US.
                    he rise of modern day terrorism (as in the murder of civilians for political reasons) was started by the palestinians in Munich and has been supported by other Arab countries ever since.
                    And why was the so called super power silent. Why was oil supply increased so much that it was selling for $12-14 a barrel. Just to destroy Soviet economy ??? US is the largest contributor of military aid to Arabs, why ???

Comment

Then why demonized the Soviets for more than 40 years ???
                      Oh dear. Another one of these.

-dale

Comment

Martin, might I make a suggestion? We here at the WAB enjoy asking and answering questions, and love someone with an opinion that is different from ours, because they question us and help us learn more, and every so often someone's opinion is changed over stuff that goes on here.

However, one thing we like (and demand) even more is a civil environment. I don't know if you read the Survival Guide, but if you haven't now would be a good opportunity.

Here's an excerpt:

Prepare to get some abuse. This site deals with topics that have a lot of emotional energy. While WAB is generally civil, tempers do flare. We won’t normally tell you to eat a gun or otherwise go beyond the pale, but you might get called a variety of names. This comes with a Catch-22, if a poster with 4000 posts says you're, “too stupid to breathe”, they probably will not get banned. You fire back a similar insult and you probably will. While post count alone does not make one an expert, most of the prolific posters are at least journeymen levels in one field or another and have earned a bit of leeway. On WAB there is no equal protection clause. Stick around and earn your place and the same unfairness you dislike as a newcomer will save your butt as an old timer caught up in an emotional issue.
                        Z has 6,000 posts, you have 130. If this language keeps up, the both of you might get a PM from one of the Mods or the Admins, the difference, however, is that Z might just get a PM, you might just get banned as well.

Like I said from the beginning, we love someone with a different opinion, but know how to phrase your questions and comments properly...
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Martin, might I make a suggestion? We here at the WAB enjoy asking and answering questions, and love someone with an opinion that is different from ours, because they question us and help us learn more, and every so often someone's opinion is changed over stuff that goes on here.
                          Agreed with your post !!!
                          But Zraver (Although I am impressed with his knowledge about tactics) was trying to pick minor points just to make circumlocution that "How dare you question US pst actions" ??? His demeanor was less than the Zraver I know.

Comment

^^^^ *past

Comment

Isn't it fascism or chauvinistic attitude ??
                              It was a campaign trick, not fascism. She in fact won the primary, it did not work.

Then why was there no insurrection in Kashmir before US preached mujaheddin violence in A-stan. Pakistan has been associated with both Kashmir & Chechnya and they started it with the art they learn from US.
                              Nope.

Quote worthy stupid.

Most of the Americans on this board are right of center. Why are you here?

even though I also hate him for entirely different reasons
                              Oh please tell us why...

I don't need a f*cking certificate from you, or do I ???
                              Yes you do.

Then why demonized the Soviets for more than 40 years ???
                              They were evil.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by troung; 23 Jun 10,, 20:04.
                              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Then why is religion so important that people have to prove that they are Christians. Why was M/s Haley's religious affiliations questioned ???
                                Some jackass slurred her for political gain. It isn't that important, as the election shows. However the media portrays things, the majority of people really don't care about someone's religion. They care if that person is a good candidate. Nikki Haley was the strongest candidate, and she won. Good for her. I hope she wins the general. I think she'd be good for South Carolina.

Sure, there are some religious groups that make a big deal, they are religious groups. That's what they do. But they don't run the electorate, and the people that vote based on religion are a minority.
                                B.S. The problems in Kashmir go all the way back to 1947. The mujahadeen in Afghanistan predate US support.
                                And why was the so called super power silent. Why was oil supply increased so much that it was selling for $12-14 a barrel. Just to destroy Soviet economy ??? US is the largest contributor of military aid to Arabs, why ???
                                Are you a teenager or something? The US wasn't silent.

The oil situation has fluctuated forever. The US needed oil for it's navy in vietnam, which was one reason we went to the saudis and threatened them over the embargo.

The US, France, Britain, and the USSR all supplied weapons to Arab countries, depending on their relationships. Those planes shot down in Iraq weren't F-16's.
                                Last edited by highsea; 23 Jun 10,, 20:02.
                                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Working...
                                X