Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terror or stress, the attack on Ft Hood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that there is going to be an awful lot of hatred vented on Muslim Communities in the US. Thoughts anyone!

Comment

what type of handgun would he have had to let off so many rounds in such a short space of time, would he have had time to re-load. Thats 43 rounds that found their target. Just curious. Most magazines that I know of, and thats not many actually hold up to a maximum of 20!!!
      Last edited by Kernow; 06 Nov 09,, 05:02. Reason: Deleted inaccurate info.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        A sad day. Glad they killed the Bas&$rd

Army officials are saying that he was born in Virginia. A grad of Va Tech where he got his commission through ROTC and the
        Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., .

Where are you getting the Jordan info from?

(edit) I just saw a mention of it from Sen Hutchisons office
        Methinks the good senator should leave the press releases to the Army...
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
          Hasan was born in Virginia per MSNBC but, that just makes him a Tim Mcveigh. Another home grown terrorist My heart goes out to all the families effected
          Yeah I know, I got that from the governor to-air: I had one of the sat-feeds switched over.
          Like I said, the governor needs to let the army do the talking...

Leibniz

Comment

Do we know he was a Muslim, do you have a link, I know his name sounds like he could be, perhaps we should wait and see and see what transpires out of this, including the other two guys.
            I looked at my post and considered your concerns, I would bet he is and I am concerned about the lax standards in my country when it comes to who we let in. I am well aware that the overwhelming majority of Muslims are not terrorists or mean any ill will to me or anyone else. The problem is ALL societies have their extremists in some form (there are no exeptions) and I am not going to cowtow to PCness in this matter.

There is a very good chance he lost it for some reason also. I could also be flatout wrong.

Comment

Interview with retired colonel he worked with. Revealing, but surprising this guy is talking to the media.

Shooter Said Muslims Should 'Stand Up' - WDAF
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Lest anyone start the profiling game. And remember Timothy McVeigh was a Christian.

Muslims in the Military

His call sign is "Hadji," meaning "one who has made a pilgrimage to Mecca."

"It's a pilot thing," explains Colonel Douglas Burpee, the highest ranking Muslim officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. Now in his 23rd year of military service, Colonel Burpee recently returned from flying helicopters in Afghanistan.

"Everyone knows I'm a Muslim. When I fly, attached to my dog tags, I wear a pendant with a passage from the Koran," he says. "I try to set a good example based upon what I believe.... I can be a soldier and a Muslim at the same time. I have no problem with that."

In the era of the war on terror, the example of a devout Muslim serving in the American Military is a heartening sign that highlights the difference between America and its self-appointed enemies in this conflict. This is not a clash of civilizations, but a fight between a modern pluralistic democracy and intolerant murders who have hijacked one of the world's great faiths.

Certainly that's Colonel Burpee's view. "These people who commit terrorism have just adopted the face of Islam - nothing they say or do have anything to do with Islam," he says. "The Taliban is a terrorist organization - they are bad people doing bad things and they've attached religion to it. They are ruthless when it comes to killing people, but that's how you move helpless people around - you use fear."

Out of the 1.4 million service men and women serving actively in the American military, an estimated 3,700 are Muslim, according to the Department of Defense.

Colonel Burpee's path to both Islam and the military is not necessarily typical. With blond hair that is now going gray, he was born in America and raised Episcopalian. He converted to Islam when he was 19 for a very American reason: "I met a pretty girl" - an Egyptian woman named Hala who was a fellow student at the University of Southern California in the late 1970s. Three years later he was accepted at the Officers Candidates' School in Quantico, Va. Now he and Hala and their five sons live in Glendale, Calif.

"We believe in god and family and prayer - the same things as everyone who believes in religion," he says. But his reaction to September 11th fit a less typical script. "I watched the attacks on TV, like everybody else. The first thing we did afterwards was go to the mosque because people were concerned about a backlash. On the other hand, I had to call into my squadron and ask, 'Hey, are we being activated?'" Colonel Burpee straddles his two worlds, but he is not typical of Islam or the military.

Perhaps a more typical portrait of a Muslim soldier in the U.S. military comes from Sergeant Youseff Mandour of the U.S. Army. He immigrated to America from Morocco at the age of 17 and joined the army at age 22. Now 25, he just returned from 12 months in Iraq. Like Colonel Burpee, he aspires to a lifelong career in the military. "I'm fighting for a better life and a belief in freedom," he says. "I had a chance to get involved. I learned the English language and appreciate everything this country has given to me. That's why I joined the Army. The U.S. is doing great things."

Sergeant Mandour takes special offense at the terrorists who murder in the name of his faith. "The war on terror is not about Islam. This is a war against criminals who use religion to say they are good people, but they're no better than the Mafia. They're just common criminals, many with criminal records ... It was great that I got to use my training against people who tried to kill us and who tried to give a wrong idea about my religion."

Nor is Sergeant Mandour agnostic about the war in Iraq. "We are not there to fight Islam but spread democracy. I feel very ashamed for those like Osama Bin Laden who use the religion of Islam and call for a jihad. You can't call a jihad against people trying to help, and I believe we are helping people in Iraq. I helped more people in Iraq than I ever did in my life as a soldier and as a Muslim."

Few people in the world can view the war on terror with more clarity than Muslim soldiers serving in the U.S. military. While figures like Osama Bin Laden and his henchmen try to divide the world by arguing that the war on terror is really a war between Islam and the west, our Islamic soldiers' example exposes their rhetoric for the lie that it is. The west is not a religion. It is instead a pluralistic place that opens its arms to all people of good faith regardless of race, nationality, or religion. And if soldiers who are proud to be American and Muslim at the same time can help heal some of the existing divides by the strength of their example, so much the better.

These Muslim U.S. soldiers are, in some ways, the point men in this moment in our history, exemplifying the new edge of a far older trend. As Colonel Burpee says, "My family first came here as French Huguenots a few hundred years ago. They were oppressed and they came to America because it allowed them to practice their religion and live in freedom. That is the same reason that the Muslims have come here ... So is there a clash of civilizations? I don't think so. I think you have an old world and a new world. And we are the new world."

That is exactly where I would want us to be.

Muslims in the Military - April 21, 2006 - The New York Sun

Comment

More...

The American Muslim (TAM)

Comment

R.I.P to all the victims, and may god bless the families that were effected by this.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                      I think that there is going to be an awful lot of hatred vented on Muslim Communities in the US. Thoughts anyone!
                      I doubt it. Alot of people don't exactly know what a muslim looks like. They end up targetting Latin, Indian, or Sicilian people on mistaken identities.

I'm not a racist, but I'm actually quite surprised there was a muslim Major in the US Army. Is it easy to become a Major? I have no clue. But I honestly believed, especially after these past wars, they do not recruit Muslims. Shame on my ignorant self.

I admit I don't know much, but now I begin to question why some people question the gays in the army? I wonder how our soldiers feel when they're aligned next to muslims to go fight in muslim countries. Quite scary, but I'm just questioning the thought.
                      Last edited by Mobbme; 06 Nov 09,, 05:47.

Comment

I heard on the TV news just now he was wrongly reported to be killed, but hospitalised and in stable condition. He has a Muslim name, but his religion is not known.

He is due to be deployed to Iraq soon.

Edit: Oh, this is the Fort Worth shooting, not Fort Hood. Sorry
                        Last edited by Merlin; 06 Nov 09,, 05:54.

Comment

Nor is Sergeant Mandour agnostic about the war in Iraq. "We are not there to fight Islam but spread democracy. I feel very ashamed for those like Osama Bin Laden who use the religion of Islam and call for a jihad. You can't call a jihad against people trying to help, and I believe we are helping people in Iraq. I helped more people in Iraq than I ever did in my life as a soldier and as a Muslim."

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                            what type of handgun would he have had to let off so many rounds in such a short space of time, would he have had time to re-load. Thats 43 rounds that found their target. Just curious. Most magazines that I know of, and thats not many actually hold up to a maximum of 20!!!
                            I have 5 17 rnd. magazines for my Glock 17, that's 85 rounds there. Also there is a 33 round magazine available for a G17. Depending on what he was carrying, it is not out of the realm of possibility for him to get off that many rounds in a short time frame.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                              Lest anyone start the profiling game. And remember Timothy McVeigh was a Christian.
                              Your "average" "Christian" these days is not particularly interested in the mass-murder of his comrades, Timothy McVeigh not withstanding.

And this is not the first time that a U.S. Army soldier member of The Faithful has decided to open fire on his fellow soldiers.

GI held in base attack made anti-U.S. remarks

Hasan Akbar case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are these murderous attacks a pattern or just isolated cases?

How many dead have to pile up at Arlington Cemetary?
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                                To add on that, the allied forces are doing a tremendous job in Afghanistan. They are not only building hospitals, schools, HOMES, they are building water things too; now afghanis are actually getting clean water, something they were never accustomed to.

Comment

Working...
                                X