Bush edges ahead in Iowa, going strong in 'blue' states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smilingassassin
    Yep thats a hick, maybe a strong choice of wording but you get my point.
    Yeah, I got your point, no doubt about it. What's worse is you have a Moderator doing a snow job on your racist remarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
      Yeah, I got your point, no doubt about it. What's worse is you have a Moderator doing a snow job on your racist remarks.
      What's racist?
      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Considering the context it was in there is no basis for the Rasist card, poor attempt to link this to an arguement between you and I on remarks you have made in another post.

Seeing as an opology isn't in store for your remark, I shall respond in a similar way.
        Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
          What's racist?

5. disparaging comments about cultures, nations, or race

smilingassassin properly referred to New Yorkers so why did he have to refer to southerners with such a disparaging remark? I know, and I resent it and I do not mind posting it right here, since you did ask.

Comment

so why did he have to refer to southerners
            I don't see where he said southerners were hicks? I'm 1/2 redneck and 1/2 hillbilly, the word hick is used all the time to refer to simple country folk unaware of the the things a "city slicker" (is "city slicker" also racist?) is aware of. Race does not matter, culture only does if that culture precludes knowlege of city life, and it could be one of any nation. To the best of my knowledge, even the Amish do not fit as a whole. I don't need to hear the rules, I know them. I don't understand the racism. I need an actual explanation as to how the word "hick", used in the way it was, is racist.
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Should I change the word to hillbilly or redneck? Would we be having this discussion if I refered to new yorkers as city slickers? If I called Bush a hick I'm sure you'd chime in your approval.....
              Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

smilingassassin properly referred to New Yorkers so why did he have to refer to southerners with such a disparaging remark? I know, and I resent it and I do not mind posting it right here, since you did ask.

I was under the impression being called a "New Yorker" was bad enough. Of course, "Kalifornian," "New Germany," and "mAssachusettes" being equal or worse, and the worst of all being "French."

Most hicks I know don't mind being referred to as such. Of course, they almost all have hard-science university degrees, as well.
                The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

I don't know much about the US, but the general impression is that the Southern Americans of the 'cowboy' origin are unlettered country bumpkins and hence called 'hicks'. Something like Huckleberry Finn chewing on the grass, with torn trousers, unwashed and smelling to high heavens, yellow teeth and basically a wee bit better than an animal.

Hillybilly is worse.

In comparison, the Yankees are smooth and educated and sophisticated.

In India, call a person a 'hick' and if he is educated in a pucblic school (private and exclusive school here, but called public as per the British style), you might find you have a back eye!;)
                  Last edited by Ray; 27 Oct 04,, 17:19.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

My personal opinion is that the electoral college stuff is bogus.

If I am entitled a vote as per adult franchise, then my vote is to decide.

I am not that dumb that I want someone else to decide for me.

That is if I have understood the complicated electoral college system of the US.

Maybe I haven't.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I never understood why the British call public schools private schools and private schools public...do you know the reasoning Ray?

Comment

racism
                        n.
                        1 a doctrine or teaching, without scientific support, that claims to find racial differences in character, intelligence, etc., that asserts the superiority of one race over another or others, and that seeks to maintain the supposed purity of a race or the races
                        2 any program or practice of racial discrimination, segregation, etc. based on such beliefs

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                          I don't know much about the US, but the general impression is that the Southern Americans of the 'cowboy' origin are unlettered country bumpkins and hence called 'hicks'. Something like Huckleberry Finn chewing on the grass, with torn trousers, unwashed and smelling to high heavens, yellow teeth and basically a wee bit better than an animal.

Hillybilly is worse.

In India, call a person a 'hick' and if he is educated in a pucblic school (private and exclusive school here, but called public as per the British style), you might find you have a back eye!;)
                          Southerners consider the term "hick" a disparaging comment as to their intellect, and it is an insult here in Georgia to use that term. There are also ugly nicknames for Canadians as well, but I wouldn't use them on this board, no matter how tempted I may become.

Comment

Really? I know you would not use them, but I'm just curious as to what they are. Honestly, the rudest name I've ever heard for Canada is "Soviet Republic of Kanuckistan", I think by Bill O'Reilly. I didn't know other people really cared enough about us to bother with disparaging names.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                              I don't know much about the US, but the general impression is that the Southern Americans of the 'cowboy' origin are unlettered country bumpkins and hence called 'hicks'.
                              I swear, the rest of the world is more ignorant of the US than what they claim we are of the rest of the world! Need to sit their sorry butts down in front of a VCR and have them watch Tombstone, any "Lone Ranger" or "Bonanza" episode, or Clint Eastwood or Ronald Reagan film to FINALLY figure out what a COWBOY is! And even THAT is just a Hollywood fabrication, but at least they'd have the RIGHT fabrication!

Cowboy's are NOT SOUTHERN (ie, southeast)! They are SOUTH (Texas) up through the midwest towards the Great Lakes, and expanding along the southwest through Arizona up through Utah!

It's enough to make a man want to take his six-shooter, make use of it to end the nattering, and ride off into the sunset.

Originally posted by Ray
                              And the idiots still manage to lack good judgment and common sense.
                              The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrido
                                I swear, the rest of the world is more ignorant of the US than what they claim we are of the rest of the world! Need to sit their sorry butts down in front of a VCR and have them watch Tombstone, any "Lone Ranger" or "Bonanza" episode, or Clint Eastwood or Ronald Reagan film to FINALLY figure out what a COWBOY is! And even THAT is just a Hollywood fabrication, but at least they'd have the RIGHT fabrication!

Cowboy's are NOT SOUTHERN (ie, southeast)! They are SOUTH (Texas) up through the midwest towards the Great Lakes, and expanding along the southwest through Arizona up through Utah!

It's enough to make a man want to take his six-shooter, make use of it to end the nattering, and ride off into the sunset.

And the idiots still manage to lack good judgment and common sense.
                                Ah, you are a savior Horrido ! You are exactly correct! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X