Major Shabbir Sharif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asim Aquil
    Man this Shabbir dude, sounds like a bad ass.
    Someone who can hold back serious counter attacks had to be a very fine leader. The is another officer mentioned in the East-Pakistan 1971 (forget his name), he held on till the "last man last round".

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by hammer
      Hey Asim,
      You are a lahorite, arent you ? Does 'Barkee' area comes under Lahore Dist.?
      Its 11 km from Lahore airport.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Nishaan-e-Haider. The best way to go down if you're a Pakistani. This is an amazing inspiring story indeed, perhaps as good as Major Aziz Bhatti's story.
        You do not have to "go down" to get it.

But these men will live for ever.

http://images.google.com.pk/imgres?i...l%3Den%26lr%3D

whew long link. He is the one on the left. Hmm brownish hair, does not mean pathan necessrily (as reddish would). But he was a PA man, and they are never cowards.

You should visit the army museum in Rawalpindi, Asim. They have a whole section on Nishan-e-Haiders. The Aziz Bhatti exhibt also has his uniform from the time of Shahdat.

If peace is achieved between the two nations, I hope they (and there Indian Counterparts) would not have died in vain.
        Last edited by sparten; 12 Aug 05,, 05:49.
        "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

The new one? its close to the border too.... (hmm so was the old one too, but not as much).

You do not have to "go down" to get it.
          Ya but so far no one in Pakistan's history has received it without dying. Any idea if civillians can receive awards such as Nishaan-e-Haider and Sitara-e-Jurrat?

Comment

Ya but so far no one in Pakistan's history has received it without dying. Any idea if civillians can receive awards such as Nishaan-e-Haider and Sitara-e-Jurrat?
            Its a military award, no civilians can get.

IIRC, SJ is for enlisted men, while HJ is for officers. The awards and the medals are the same. The latter (Hilal-e-Jurat) is for "couragous leadership." I think NCO and JCOs can also get it.
            "Any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy, which qualifies life for immortality." ~ George William Russell

Comment

Its a military award, no civilians can get.

IIRC, SJ is for enlisted men, while HJ is for officers. The awards and the medals are the same. The latter (Hilal-e-Jurat) is for "couragous leadership." I think NCO and JCOs can also get it.

Lemontree is 'Barkee' area from the 1965 war? I know near Wagah there is a memorial to a Battalion of the Punjab regiment which was the first PA outfit engaged in 1965. Maybe this is that place. Either way your knowledge of the geography in the border areas will be alot better than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by sparten
                IIRC, SJ is for enlisted men, while HJ is for officers.
                No SJ is also given to officers. Example Sqn Ldr Sarfaraz Rafiqi was also awarded the SJ, as many other officers were.
                Lemontree is 'Barkee' area from the 1965 war? I know near Wagah there is a memorial to a Battalion of the Punjab regiment which was the first PA outfit engaged in 1965. Maybe this is that place. Either way your knowledge of the geography in the border areas will be alot better than mine.
                Barki is shown in the map below in the apporx centre of the Ichogil canal indicated by the dark vertical line.
                Last edited by lemontree; 21 Dec 06,, 05:57.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                X