WTC remembered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTC remembered

Im surprised none of our yank posters have not started a thread about this , if there is and I missed it ,appols

It was a moving site on tv when the names of the murdered were read out . RIP

There are still conspiracy theories being bandied about .

Very poignant this morning at Ground Zero. A shame though, that Presidents Obama and Bush have to address from behind a glass screen.

Tankie, I generally refuse to pay lip service to conspiracy theories. Such ludicrous ideas based on nothing but paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by gdmillar View Post
      Very poignant this morning at Ground Zero. A shame though, that Presidents Obama and Bush have to address from behind a glass screen.

Tankie, I generally refuse to pay lip service to conspiracy theories. Such ludicrous ideas based on nothing but paranoia.
      There is a thread on WAB somewhere which discusses the conspiracy thing , but yes they are still going on ?

Comment

I see it was remembered in UK

9/11 memorial events: London protesters burn American flag outside US embassy | Mail Online
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Not forgotten here, and the notice from out your way is much appreciated.
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Concur with Jad on all points.

RE: the link Doktor posted - I'm quite surprised that protest didn't turn to outright violence. Today is a day of rememberance - rememberance of those who died in the WTC collapse and the attack on the Pentagon, rememberance of the heroes who died on United Flight 93 preventing the terrorists from accomplishing their mission. Rememberance of a time when we didn't have to worry about terrorists on US soil, and rememberance that we must always keep our guard up against them now.

Today is not about celebrating the war on terrorism, it's about remembering WHY we are at war with this concept. If certain extremists can't understand that, it's their problem, not ours, but we'd bloody well be glad to make it our problem if they ever attempt anything like that again.
            sigpic

Comment

I am grateful to our non-US members for honoring this day - it is a solomn occassion here - not a good memory.
              But the unity it generated was one bright moment in an otherwise dark time.
              For brief time the world's evil orgainizations were very afraid - the US united behind a cause like this was a fearful thing to behold.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by BB61Vet View Post
                Concur with Jad on all points.

RE: the link Doktor posted - I'm quite surprised that protest didn't turn to outright violence.
                It would have if the Police had not been present. There seems to be no law preventing the burning of a flag, waving placards, using abusive language, causing a disturbance or blocking a thoroughfare etc but there is if you try to stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                  I am grateful to our non-US members for honoring this day - it is a solomn occassion here - not a good memory.
                  But the unity it generated was one bright moment in an otherwise dark time.
                  For brief time the world's evil orgainizations were very afraid - the US united behind a cause like this was a fearful thing to behold.
                  67 British people lost their lives on that fateful day but we honour all those who lost their lives, every single one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                    It would have if the Police had not been present. There seems to be no law preventing the burning of a flag, waving placards, using abusive language, causing a disturbance or blocking a thoroughfare etc but there is if you try to stop it.
                    ^^^ Freedom of speech?

Back in 2001...

I remember that day. I was on a trip and all the people in the shops were watching one movie (or so I thought) like hypnotized.

When I asked "hey what's going on, what's this movie everyone's watching?", I got the reply "Saddam hit Pentagon with jets" - Yeah right!

Next days I took off from work coz it was impossible to finish some job, everyone was having their version on what happened and some were even glad this is happening (I am still shocked how can anyone feel joy on other people's horror).

So, I decided to go to the mountains awaiting a nuke to explode somewhere, luckily I was wrong.

Sympathies to all who were affected with the events on this horrible day, may never happen again, to noone!
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I remember I had just gotten home from high school and my older sister was already watching it on TV while talking to another friend. We had just gotten digital cable that took a few seconds to clean up the image from regular cable, so my sister heard her friend say the towers had collapsed and then we saw it. Amazing the little things you remember, isn't it?
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The conspiracy theorists still rankle me big time. For any of those theories to even begin to be plausable (ignoring the basic physics) they have to involve thousands of government workers, military, firemen, police etc all willing to sacrifice not only their fellow Americans but also their co-workers and friends. The insult to those people is enormous and I find such beliefs despicable.
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                          The conspiracy theorists still rankle me big time. For any of those theories to even begin to be plausable (ignoring the basic physics) they have to involve thousands of government workers, military, firemen, police etc all willing to sacrifice not only their fellow Americans but also their co-workers and friends. The insult to those people is enormous and I find such beliefs despicable.
                          And for what purpose? I can't see anyone willing to murder thousands, destroy the lives of many more thousands, then everyone involved in this 'conspiracy' to keep quiet about it, just to have more killed in war. It just doesn't make sense. This was an act of outside terrorism... FULL STOP.

Comment

67 British people lost their lives on that fateful day but we honour all those who lost their lives, every single one of them.
                            We honor them too. In fact, the local University set up flags for each one of the deceased today, including 67 British flags, and various others from around the world based on each victim's nationality. I hope and pray nothing like this ever occurs again.
                            2977 flags, bearing the names of those lost in 9-11, were placed on the campus lawn, and the bell tower tolled every ten seconds. 2-thousand -9-hundred-77 times. It has come to define who we are, something that will always be in our consciousness.
                            From here: http://www.kltv.com/story/15432043/l...-9-11-memorial

The conspiracy theorists still rankle me big time.
                            Although I believe that we live in a world where it is quite possible for 'someone' to watch our every move if 'they' so choose, I lump the conspiracy theroists in with the very same terrorists and fearmongers who did it. All sit in the 'dangerous insane idiot' basket along with my eternal wish that stupidity become both painful and unlawful.
                            Last edited by BB61Vet; 12 Sep 11,, 00:22. Reason: clarity, it's such a wonderful thing to have.
                            sigpic

Comment

I was on my way to Chicago (by car) with two of my coworkers - we heard on the radio a jet had hit one of the towers. My friend remarked what a tragic accident it was and then in a little while another jet hit the other tower... The same friend still didn't belive it was intentional - and commented about the chances of this happening. I was the first one in the car to vocalize that it wasn't an accident. We arrived at the office in Rosemont as planned but they were very concerned about more attacks and were shutting things down (it was a highrise building) - we watched on TV for a few minutes at the control center there (they had walls full of plamsa TV's for monitors) and decided to head back to Milwaukee - when we got there they were shutting down that office too - moving everyone to dispersed emergency facilities - and sending none essential people home. Most people got the afternoon off - over the following days, many changes were made...
                              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                              X