Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does your country treat their Veterans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does your country treat their Veterans?

Here's a spot for the good and the bad of whatever you want to share of stories that inspire or outrage.

Not to start on a negative note, but this outraged me. I have some other good ones and bad ones to come, just need to find them......As a member of the VFW, this really pisses me off....

Cops shut down VFW post in Dallas, Texas

The story didn't offend me. 2 min into the video I knew what the problem was.

The VFW is not above the law. This would have never happened if they had made some phone calls before the first poker tournament.

My post sponsored bingo (don't they all) but ran into some questions about the people that work the games. All it took was one call to the States Attorneys office to clear up what could have eventually led to what happened here.

They we courteous, and told us how things had to operate. End of story.

BTW people that work the bingo games cannot be paid or compensated. Which also includes free drinks or snacks. You cannot give them a burger and a coke when they take a break. Or sell it to them at a discount. Its the same as paying them which is illegal in Florida.

I've also seen a poker tourney run where you make a donation. Receive that amount in chips to play with. But there is never a cash prize and you cannot cash in your chips. Its a charity event, not gambling.

Comment

Not disagreeing with you a bit Gunny. They where wrong, they did break the law. I just think that since they did not know they where breaking the law, and had no nefarious intentions, there was no need for a SWAT team to raid the place in the manner of a military op and confiscate all they did. I think a letter from the county attorney or Sheriff would have put a stop to all "illegal" operations and with some guidance and assistance from a local govt, which is considered to be there for us, this would have been running within the boundaries of the law most tic.

I do however think thier comparison to the lottery was well within reason and subject to examination and comparison within the boundaries of the law. What is OK for the state is not OK for the citizens?

Comment

Gunny,

Glad to see your a fellow member btw!!:) My post went broke, quite the senseless story. No problem though, I have a choice of two others I can transfer to.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
          Not disagreeing with you a bit Gunny. They where wrong, they did break the law. I just think that since they did not know they where breaking the law, and had no nefarious intentions, there was no need for a SWAT team to raid the place in the manner of a military op and confiscate all they did. I think a letter from the county attorney or Sheriff would have put a stop to all "illegal" operations and with some guidance and assistance from a local govt, which is considered to be there for us, this would have been running within the boundaries of the law most tic.

I do however think thier comparison to the lottery was well within reason and subject to examination and comparison within the boundaries of the law. What is OK for the state is not OK for the citizens?
          I agree, I believe the militarization of police practices is a problem especially in situations like this. I also believe that Gambling should be legal but that is neither here nor there.

On a separate note I love reason.com/reason TV, I think I'm going to subscribe to their actual magazine.

Comment

I don't care for the way this was handled, The laws vary quite a bit from state to state on how you can operate this and even as to what games count as gambling. I'm a bit suprized that these guys didn't do at least a cursery check on what they could and couldn't do.

Now that said most of the states have inane laws as to gambling and also have retarded lotto games including scratch lotto which seems to prey on people to stupid to do simple math. When I read the headline I thought it would be more of an expose about support services and feelings/treatment of vets in any given country.

I am somewhat ashamed of the way the US treated vietnam era vets, and sadly I see current trends toward doing the same with the middle-eastern wars vets of which I'm a member. Not so much institutional predujudice but more of a select few extremely vocal idiots calling us baby killers, rapists and torturers. Most people have a fairly different view but those ones do get publicized alot because they make pretty good news copy. When people see this on the news they begin to feel its socially acceptable to cold shoulder people who volunteered to server their country.

Comment

The GI Bill.................

One of the greatest expansions in public education, and arguably our (U.S.A.) economy, resulted from the post-WWII G.I. Bill. After my Vietnam service, I too benefitted from the G.I. Bill, although I still had to work 10-20 hours each week and eat from the same pot of beans and hamhock the last week each month. But, this made it possible for me to have a career that I enjoy and provide a good livelihood for a family and send my own two children to good universities.

And so, here comes the Montgomery G.I. Bill, that I understand few take advantage of because it is so inadequate. Then the 2008 G.I. Bill had to be passed over a Presidential veto, and remains deficient in some respects.

I see this shortcoming. Let's say that like me, you can tolerate math and are good at science, and want to pursue a career in petroleum geology. But if you have residence in State XXXX where there is no good geology school, perhaps not even a state school that offers that major, you might want to attend school in the oil patch at one of the handful of schools that industry recruiters frequent. But wait, the out-of-state tuition makes this option impossible for you.

Now Ohio has a great attitude. They recognize that veterans were fighting not only for their home states but for all 50 states. They offer in-state tuition, I understand, for all veterans.

I thought this was a great idea. It's perceived in Ohio as a win-win. The percentage of graduates who remain in Ohio will become taxpayers at a professional wage, contributing to their economy and their tax base, and quickly pay back the tuition differential. It's a no-cost benefit to veterans, and a long term economic benefit to the State.

So I have lobbied for a year with letters to my Oklahoma State Congressman and Senator, as well as to my Congressman and Senators in Washington D.C. All have made it very clear that this issue is not on their radar screen. My Oklahoma Senator Pam Peterson irately informed me that Oklahoma does a lot for veterans already. Why after all, we name bridges and roads after them. (After they are killed in action.) That woman knows how to punch my buttons. Don't mean nuthin'. Should be used to it by now.

Politicians will only support veterans when such support will clearly benefit their personal careers, or avoid embarassment. That's been my experience with both Republicans and Democrats.
              Nightcover 1-4 Bravo
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ANGLICOone View Post
                And so, here comes the Montgomery G.I. Bill, that I understand few take advantage of because it is so inadequate.
                Inadequate is a fine word. I used the GI Bill after getting out in 2001, and still needed to work full-time and take on close to 30k in debt before completing my education. The new one is supposed to be much better...
                Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

Here in the UK to all intents and purposes ,the same as it treats its serving people , pretty abysmal :(
                  Last edited by tankie; 23 Sep 09,, 20:26.

Comment

Here in India they are another bunch of identity less "big mouthed nobodys" whom even a petty cop can take to task.
                    sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                      Here in India they are another bunch of identity less "big mouthed nobodys" whom even a petty cop can take to task.
                      Wow! So does the public appreciate, despise or is indifferent to the veterans? Is federal service not looked upon as an honor or sacrifice?

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                        Thats hardly true, at least not here, cops can't do squat to servicemen here, with JCO's in case of trouble they'd just tell their (the JCO's) superior officer, with officers they wouldn't even bother.
                        When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Wow! So does the public appreciate, despise or is indifferent to the veterans? Is federal service not looked upon as an honor or sacrifice?
                          From what I'v seen a small % of miniority is appreciative, most are indifferent, these indifferent people are largely indifferent all the time, unless stuff like Kargil or 26/11 happens, at that time they join the small miniority in being appreciative, then promptly forget about it a couple of days later.

Despise is a strong term, I'd think only in insurgent parts/ J and K etc. are the forces despised by a sizeable no. of people, might throw in a handful of pinko liberals who supposedly support these people as well. But overall the no. of people who despise the forces is even smaller than the no. who support it.

Then again, neither emotion is as strong as in the USA, crazy people picketing soldiers' funerals would be unthinkable here, you wouldn't find ignorant members of the public bad-mouthing the army in general, but by the same token you also wouldn't see random people thanking uniformed servicemen for their service to the nation.
                          When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

No special treatment for veterans here in Germany. Just like any other soldier after active service - they get some "reintegration support" and that's it. Some additional psychological service from the army itself, but other than that a veteran's life is pretty much up to them. The population mostly views it indifferently, along the lines of "well, they did volunteer for it".

Of course in Germany one always has to differentiate between Bundeswehr "veterans", most of which are young dudes under 40 with experience in Afghanistan, Somalia and the like - there's about 150,000 to 200,000 of those probably - and those old Wehrmacht veterans who are still alive.

The Bundeswehr opened its first public memorial for the 3100 soldiers and employees who died while in service since the 50s a few weeks ago btw.

Comment

Indifferent. Nobody bats an eyelid these days. Many years ago an ex serviceman was valued by an employer because they were getting someone reliable and punctual. Sadly that is not the same today. In fact, just this morning it was reported that 10% of all prisoners in England are ex servicemen:(

Comment

Working...
                              X