X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vannor View Post
    Jello,...

I thought that Sikhs were honored with their own regiments for supporting(or abstaining hurting) the British East India company during the 1857 mutiny. Then thru inertia more regiments were added in later years.
    And then they passed on to the Indian Army. The Gurkhas were special: India and Britain split the Gurkha Rifles regiments on a 2:1 basis. All other units (including the Sikh Regiment) were part of the 2:1 split between India and Pakistan. The proposal the UK Sikhs put out was recruiting a Sikh regiment from the Sikhs in the UK - a completely different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jones View Post
      Well it was politically correct during WW1 and 2 to recruit from, what was then the colonies or commonwealth, and has been posted, we still have the Gurkhas amongst the Army strength, so whats wrong with forming ethnic Regiments, or Brigade
      I am told that there is a sizable ethnic-Pathan presence near the Heathrow Airport... so it really such a good idea to resurrect Ali Baba and His 40 Thieves at this time?

Comment

To Cactus:

I did not know about the divisions. Interesting.

I made a mistake in not clarifying to whom I was speaking. Singh had made a comment that seemed to imply that Sikh regiments had proven their worth starting only from WWI forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by vannor View Post
          To Cactus:

I did not know about the divisions. Interesting.

I made a mistake in not clarifying to whom I was speaking. Singh had made a comment that seemed to imply that Sikh regiments had proven their worth starting only from WWI forwards.
          And a clarification on my side: The entire British Indian Military (minus the Gurkha Rifles regiments) were split 2:1 between India and Pakistan. The Sikh, Sikh LI and all other companies/squadrons/batteries composed of Sikhs went to India.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            Eric, you are intolerable:)) ...get back in the cage

Comment

that was really a verry good idea, me too would join that legion...

Comment

Working...
              X