This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by junoth1001 View Post
    I still have a payslip from 1980, whch says I got paid £14 a day!
    September 1985, my first LES was $160 take home for the month, IIRC. Thats $5.16 a day. I was training from 5 am to 10 pm, so it was a 17 hour "workday", that's .30cents and hour. What was I thinking!!!

Comment

• Living well (locally)

Originally posted by junoth1001 View Post
      I still have a payslip from 1980, whch says I got paid £14 a day!
      by 7thsfsniper
      September 1985, my first LES was $160 take home for the month, IIRC. Thats $5.16 a day. I was training from 5 am to 10 pm, so it was a 17 hour "workday", that's .30cents and hour. What was I thinking!!!
      :))

March 1980, I was a Corporal making R270 a month, about $28. Sapper school meant triple the pay (R810), married plus quarters (R75), a whopping R885 or about $125. Africa was cheap in those days before the "global village" took over. My off base studio apartment complete with fold out of the wall murphy bed (like The Honeymooners) cost R45 or only $6! Sergeants pay even better at R2505. When I went back to the US my in laws couldn't believe I made R6000 a week (a fortune to them) but they also didn't understand how expensive everything was here.
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• I remember (think it was gross) 31 pounds a day as a Lance Corp in the 80's.

A little less than Im on now!!!!
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
          :))

March 1980, I was a Corporal making R270 a month, about $28. Sapper school meant triple the pay (R810), married plus quarters (R75), a whopping R885 or about $125. Africa was cheap in those days before the "global village" took over. My off base studio apartment complete with fold out of the wall murphy bed (like The Honeymooners) cost R45 or only $6! Sergeants pay even better at R2505. When I went back to the US my in laws couldn't believe I made R6000 a week (a fortune to them) but they also didn't understand how expensive everything was here.
          Back in late 70's, it was something like $2 to the pound and the first time I went up to keflavik, I thought that I was rich because I had $75 in my pocket and then hit both the Top of the Rock club and the PX.

Comment

• Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
            Cry me a river. After basic, as an E-3. I was grossing about $99 a month. OK, so it was 1958 dollars, and a buck back then went a long way in Nuevo Lauredo. :))
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• geez, JAD, if 7thsf is an "aspiring grumpy old fart", then you need to add a line under "Defense Professional"- "Older than God Almighty"
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                geez, JAD, if 7thsf is an "aspiring grumpy old fart", then you need to add a line under "Defense Professional"- "Older than God Almighty"
                Thanks, n/asty. It's Saturday already. No need to come out of your hole and insult your elders. :P:)):)

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                  Cry me a river. After basic, as an E-3. I was grossing about $99 a month.
                  We can but imagine what they taught you during basic, sir.

When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• JAD,

reminds me of an old chinese joke.

---

one day, while strolling in the garden, the emperor overheard one of his young courtiers cussing him out as a "lao tou zi"- "old guy", although literally translated as "old head son".

enraged, he confronted the courtier about his disrespect and warned HIS head was at risk if no satisfactory answer was given.

not missing a beat, the courtier said: "why, don't we all know that 'old' in China is a sign of respect? 'head', well, you ARE head of the middle kingdom, right? and 'son', you are the Son of Heaven so i was just stating the obvious! majesty, i am the paragon of respect!"

the next day the courtier found himself promoted with a warning not be a smart-arse again.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                      In the RAF, we would have said that he joined up before Pontius had done his basic training or that when he joined up, Covent garden was just a window box:)):))
                      Last edited by junoth1001; 22 Aug 09,, 18:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post

Excellent ..Jad should have no problems killing them darn humans:)

Comment

• Originally posted by junoth1001 View Post
                          In the RAF, we would have said that he joined up before Pontius had done his basic training or that when he joined up, Covent garden was just a window box:)):))
                          Wasn't Pontius a Pilot?:))

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            Wasn't Pontius a Pilot?:))
                            Yes! But he had not got his wings at the time!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Knaur Amarsh;666387]We can but imagine what they taught you during basic, sir.

Knaur:

Thanks for bringing back memories of basic, and for stirring up Lukins and his merry bunch of jesters. You mean Covent Garden isn't a window box? :P:))

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                                JAD,

reminds me of an old chinese joke.

---

one day, while strolling in the garden, the emperor overheard one of his young courtiers cussing him out as a "lao tou zi"- "old guy", although literally translated as "old head son".

enraged, he confronted the courtier about his disrespect and warned HIS head was at risk if no satisfactory answer was given.

not missing a beat, the courtier said: "why, don't we all know that 'old' in China is a sign of respect? 'head', well, you ARE head of the middle kingdom, right? and 'son', you are the Son of Heaven so i was just stating the obvious! majesty, i am the paragon of respect!"

the next day the courtier found himself promoted with a warning not be a smart-arse again.

At least you learned your lesson.:))

Is that the kind of joke a Taiwanese would like? I have Tai customers all over McLean. The one I have right now doesn't speak English. No matter what I say, she say "already'...it's taken me 3 weeks to realize she saying "oh really", not that it matters.:)

Comment

Working...
                                X