This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt-Maj,

Had heard rumours about hippos charging AK fire to snap a man in two. Anything to those?

Comment

• Mean AND nasty

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Sgt-Maj,

Had heard rumours about hippos charging AK fire to snap a man in two. Anything to those?
      It wouldn't surprise me. I think hippos are considered the most dangerous animal around mostly due to their aggressive nature combined with a foul temper.
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
        It wouldn't surprise me. I think hippos are considered the most dangerous animal around mostly due to their aggressive nature combined with a foul temper.
        True indeed, they kill more people than any other animal in Africa. When they attack they are not bluffing

Comment

• he he in our rat packs ,i think you guys call them mre,s we used to get powdered cool drinks ,and with that you got this plastic FL or we called them condoms ,put the powdered drink in ,fill with water ,tie the top ,bite a hole in the bottom and then drink. Well one morning i had a brain wave ,we decided we would piss in them and then sling at some unsuspecting bugger that walked past our moving ratel.we had to drive back to jamba to fetch a 32 battalion captain who was with unita officers in the base of unita,well about 20min from our rondevoux point there was a group of unita guys standing around next the tracks ,i got my missile full of piss and threw it ,man it was like slow motion i watched the FL smack the back of this guys head ,about 600meters down the track we stopped,i asked our corporal why are we stopping ,he said we missed our pick up point ,it was 600 meters back ,the guy i hit on the head with the packet full of piss was the 32 captain we had to pick up ,the unita officers where in tears ,he was not,2 hour sand bag PT in angola is not funny in that sand ,i will never forget what my corporal said i must stop doing this to myself,man the look in the captains eyes when he asked who threw it ,i still get a cold shiver down my spine

Comment

• why does a zebra have stripes,cos a lion or cheetah or any carnivour only has the ability to single out one target,when the zebra,s are running through the lions eye sight gives a effect of blurring alot a stripes moving all at once thats why they target the old sick lame and lazy,so if any of you are zebra,s do not leave the herd it could be bad for your health

Comment

• Originally posted by Southie View Post
              I was picking her up at the after care program on base and as we were making our way out to the car, retreat was sounding. I told her to stand still and I rendered my salute. I glanced over at her and she was also saluting.
              Great story :)
              Sounds like something I would have done at that age. Or hell, somethat I sure wanted to do at this age!

When my friends and I were at Naval Station Mayport about a month ago to meet up with a CPO friend, we were heading for the gate to do some serious partying. (no, I didn't make it to the bar, but that's a different story)

As we were walking along, Retreat was sounding.
              We all stopped and turned towards the music, which placed us looking out across the basin that was filled with probably a dozen cruisers, destroyers and frigates, which were all lit up.

I remember thinking what a magical little moment it was, all the more so because it was totally unexpected. I've been on a few military bases before, but never during Retreat.

Bear in mind, our CPO buddy had had a rough couple of days, lots of Mickey Mouse crap and he was really looking forward to getting out (his 20 is up in a few months IIRC).

He'd kinda had enough of the Navy I'd say.

So it was a small surprise to hear him half-mumble with a touch of reverence in his voice: "I'm really going to miss this when I get out".

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
              Holy CRAP, dude!
              Okay, THAT story is pure Slav. Personally, I can't think of a single worse way to go than to be eaten alive by an animal.
              Holy CRAP is right!

Cruel as hell perhaps, but I'm sure there was more to this commisar/zampolit's ill treatment of the crew for them to allow him to be torn apart by bears.

Sounds like the guy was just asking to be pushed overboard at night or something.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Never heard of them...

Originally posted by soutie View Post
                he he in our rat packs ,i think you guys call them mre,s we used to get powdered cool drinks ,and with that you got this plastic FL or we called them condoms ,put the powdered drink in ,fill with water ,tie the top ,bite a hole in the bottom and then drink. Well one morning i had a brain wave ,we decided we would piss in them and then sling at some unsuspecting bugger that walked past our moving ratel.we had to drive back to jamba to fetch a 32 battalion captain who was with unita officers in the base of unita,well about 20min from our rondevoux point there was a group of unita guys standing around next the tracks ,i got my missile full of piss and threw it ,man it was like slow motion i watched the FL smack the back of this guys head ,about 600meters down the track we stopped,i asked our corporal why are we stopping ,he said we missed our pick up point ,it was 600 meters back ,the guy i hit on the head with the packet full of piss was the 32 captain we had to pick up ,the unita officers where in tears ,he was not,2 hour sand bag PT in angola is not funny in that sand ,i will never forget what my corporal said i must stop doing this to myself,man the look in the captains eyes when he asked who threw it ,i still get a cold shiver down my spine
                You hit a 32 bat Captain with a piss balloon? You're famous in my book!

I spent a week with 32 battalion teaching them the basics of mine warfare. My CO asked how long I thought it would take. I said, "two weeks absolute minimum.". He replied, "They gave me three days, I'll try to get you a week.".

Two Corporals and I were each assigned four men including at least one "one liner" (Lance Corporal)). Upon completing training we each picked one of our men for promotion. The idea was for the battalion to form their own organic Sapper platoon.

Years later while coming back from Africa I was detained by US Customs and questioned. I made the mistake of admitting I knew about 32 battalion. Boy did I open a can of worms! They kept me for a couple of hours playing "good cop-bad cop", throwing all kinds of questions at me, like who was the CO, did I know so and so, was I at this location, involved in that operation, etc.

I was finally released when they came to the realization that I didn't know squat. The next time I was questioned about 32 Bat I replied, "Three Two who?"!;)
                Last edited by sappersgt; 24 Apr 07,, 22:40.
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• What was so special about 32 battallion? I can't manage to find anything about it on the net (and no time to search thoroughly since I'm busy studying probability theory).

Comment

• Ray,

Is the new avatar your True Form that you only show to instill fear in the hearts of your enemies?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      What was so special about 32 battallion? I can't manage to find anything about it on the net (and no time to search thoroughly since I'm busy studying probability theory).

South African 32 Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

• Yes, but what is so controversial about it? The fact that it consisted of former Angolan Liberation Front troops?

Thank you for the link.
                        Last edited by entropy; 24 Apr 07,, 21:01. Reason: forgot to say thank you

Comment

• Being (in)famous

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                          What was so special about 32 battallion?
                          ...what is so controversial about it? The fact that it consisted of former Angolan Liberation Front troops?
                          "Three Two" Battalion was reported to have put down rioting in black townships with especially harsh measures. This and the fact that the enemy considered black 32 troops to be traitors to their race (the few 32 troopers I talked to were fervent anti-Communist rather than pro-Apartheid). To say that captured 32 soldiers were dealt with severely would be an understatement. This led to a vicious cycle of retribution and retaliation on both sides.
                          Last edited by sappersgt; 24 Apr 07,, 23:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            Ray,

Is the new avatar your True Form that you only show to instill fear in the hearts of your enemies?
                            by Ray
                            The new avatar is a the Peacock Angel of a non Moslem Kurdish tribe called Eizdi or Yezidi.
                            I was taught that Chernabog was the name of The Peacock Angel.
                            Last edited by sappersgt; 24 Apr 07,, 23:48.

Comment

• during early 87 our company was invovled in an op with 32 guys just north of onjiva for about one week ,alot of the guys did not come into direct contact with the buffalo soldiers,but we did ,i will say this if i am ever in a trench there would be one man that i would have next to me without a question of doubt and that is the buffalo soldier,extremly brave men ,ruthless and highly effective ,the Fapla Cubans and Russians had a good name for them THE TERRIBLE ONES ,they where the most effective counter insurgency unit in southern africa feared and respected by friends and foe as for that captain i hit with that piss bomb ,a red blooded afrikaner to the core and i suspect he had more of a kinship with those buffalo soldiers than his own people.

Comment

• Entrophy and Sapper.

Indeed it is the Malek Taus.

I worship World Affairs Board! ;) :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                                X