X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ex MIB View Post
    McAuslan in the Rough by George MacDonald Fraser

Hahahahahahaha, fabulous likeness "Tankie", just swap the clubs for your fishing gear. hahahahahaha
    Crumbs! With the possible exception of the swarm of flies around the fictional one, the resemblance is startling!
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
      How PC things have become. Military training these days must resemble life in a holiday camp (but with the necessity to wear uniform on occasion)! Chee-Zuss-H-Kee-Rist, everythings changed. Well, what we went through was tough but considered to be character building. It didn't do us any harm.
      I would have to disagree, over my years at RMC I watched some cadets go from scared kids to brutal and rather sadistic individuals. Hazing, harassment and other such methods have no place in the training of military personnel. In my opinion less mind games and more combat training would make soldiers more effective soldiers. The hazing games at military institutions like RMC were vestiges of the private school type hazing which RMC institutionalized and made more virulent. Very stupid indeed IMHO.

Comment

• Tankie,

You have been had! ;) :)

You modern McAuslan!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Originally posted by Ex MIB View Post
          McAuslan in the Rough by George MacDonald Fraser

Hahahahahahaha, fabulous likeness "Tankie", just swap the clubs for your fishing gear. hahahahahaha
          John,Glyn, Ray,

Friends Romans and countrymen.

The lord said let there be light , and it was made so , he also said , GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY
          Last edited by tankie; 02 Feb 07,, 11:17.

Comment

• My brother who spent 12 years in the military had a long chat with me 1 week before my departure to do my national service ,he said to me you have to go into the military with a sense of humour and the right attitude,which i did.Needless to say i soon became very fit because of my wisecracks and big mouth,however i always managed to draw a smike on my RSM,s face whenever he saw me ,hence my nickname.While doing our border duty in Nambibia and Angola our section was volunteered to help out another unit on Coin OPs ,which actually was baby sitting a bunch of regular officers who where in Namibia for the first time and where trying to enhance their career,s which i have nothing against as long it,s not at my expenseAnyway after one week of patrols we dirty ,tired and all i wanted to do was sink an ice cold beer and sleep,but noooooooo our over zealous captain decidedto have a drilling session ,left turn right turn about turn forward march. Their RSM who was watching this whole affair said something to this captain who gave us the halt, upon that my friend muttered TO BE OR NOT TO BE, the captain screaming WHO SAID THAT ,and i could,nt resist myself which i replied I BELIEVE IT WAS WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE SIR, well after that comment i was dropped off 25kilometers from the camp 3000 rounds of ammo my LMG and my battle jacket and helmut and had to walk back to this camp with the captain driving behind me on his little jeep.Anyway when i9 got back to camp at about 10,00oclock that night there was a case of beers on the bed i was sleeping on for that week.With a note saying that i had made their day,To this day i swear it was that RSM cos i still see the tears running down his face after i said what i had said.

Moral of the story do not chirp an officer most do not have any sense of humour and if you do think of the consequences

Comment

• i said i bought it at a knock down price , now how was i to know it was swiped ?
              They all say that, don't they, Tankie? ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Soutie,

That's where you are wrong.
                '
                If officers did not have a sense of humour, they would have gone nuts with chaps like you know who.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown!

Further, if you had told me that, of course with an innocent face and not a smirk, I would have laughed the loudest since it was a super repartee.

That way, you would not have had the last laugh as also it would have eased the situation.

I would have also ordered a tot of rum for you and paid for the same!

That is what is known as man management! ;)

You are the man and I do the managing. :)

T-igger,

I am not being hoity toity, lest you go ballistic!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray View Post
                  They all say that, don't they, Tankie? ;)
                  Yes m,lud

Comment

Soutie,

That's where you are wrong.
                    '
                    If officers did not have a sense of humour, they would have gone nuts with chaps like you know who.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown!

Further, if you had told me that, of course with an innocent face and not a smirk, I would have laughed the loudest since it was a super repartee.

That way, you would not have had the last laugh as also it would have eased the situation.

I would have also ordered a tot of rum for you and paid for the same!

That is what is known as man management! ;)

You are the man and I do the managing. :)

T-igger,

I am not being hoity toity, lest you go ballistic
                    !
                    :) I am sure your not Ray,.... sarcastic,.... ironic..... maybe, "hoity toity".....never
                    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                      :) I am sure your not Ray,.... sarcastic,.... ironic..... maybe, "hoity toity".....never
                      Creep ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                        Creep ;)
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• OK, I won't say nasty tyke to you know who! :)

Blasted tick? ;)

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

OK, I won't say nasty tyke to you know who! :)

Blasted tick? ;)
                            I should think not either ? whats X_MIB ever said to you

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              I should think not either ? whats X_MIB ever said to you
                              Either that or Tankie.Eric or Akita owner might think you are thinking it might just be him

Comment

• Depends on the officer.

I was not typical of what was at the time the stereotype SADF Officer.
                                Too much of a street-fighter and too little of the gentleman.
                                Also I had studied what I could of French Indo-China and later Vietnam before my service started.

Troops were taught to do the job.
                                Mine was to teach them and ensure that most, if not all, came back home.

When we worked, we worked, when we played .......!

As they said, "Hoe groter die Bokkop .... :-) "

Comment

Working...
                                X