Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone assume plastic means weak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does everyone assume plastic means weak?

I've gone through a lot of threads and it seems so many people really hate the plastic composites on rifles today. I mean they are quite durable and lighter which means everything if you've already got a lot of weight to carry in your rucksack.
    When I went to basic in 98 (just reserves going reg force CDN infantry when I get home from my travells) I saw my corporal stomp on the charging handle of my C-7 with the butt on the ground to clear a stoppage. It didn't break and I mean he stomped the crap out of it. I did however, get a chewing out as he went around a hut and told me to stay put but I wanted to see what he was doing.

I saw those things put through **** and abuse and still work just fine. That being said I don't know anything about how durable the collapsible stock is. It can't be too bad though. It's not likle you'd use it to beat a concrete wall now would you. Even a wooden stock isn't going to open a reinforced door before someone mentions it. That's what explosives are for...
    Originally posted by GVChamp
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

The only concern with the stock is that it be strong enough to open an enemy soldiers skull.

IMO, the M-4 stock is a bit flimsy for that.

Plastic weps got a bit of a bad reputation because the Early weps were prone to breaking and cracking their plastic furniture.

Comment

I can definately see that point but we've come a long way since then.
      IMO what does that mean? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
      College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

IMO = In My Opinion
        IME= In My Experience

Etcetera, etcetera. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
          I can definately see that point but we've come a long way since then.
          IMO what does that mean? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
          IMO - In my opinion
          IMHO - In my humble opinion

My favorite, but one that I've never seen used (I had a philosophy professor that used it all the time - he was a crack up)

IMHYHAO - In my humble yet highly accurate opinion
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

IMNSHO is a good one too.

"In my not so humble opinion".

Comment

I would like to add-on my set of IMOs.

IMHOWIAF:
              "In my humble opinion which is actually fact"

IMIFHO:
              "In my invisible friend's honest opinion"

Oh boy, this could go on and on forever...

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                The only concern with the stock is that it be strong enough to open an enemy soldiers skull.

IMO, the M-4 stock is a bit flimsy for that.

Plastic weps got a bit of a bad reputation because the Early weps were prone to breaking and cracking their plastic furniture.
                The fixed the problem three years ago with an improved collapsible stock so you can smash away without snapping it off.
                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Too bad they didn't put that feature on my airsoft version...

Comment

Thanks guys.

Oooh and the new stock is better? Great Canada will have that when I join in a year and a bit. Seeing the world right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman
                      Thanks guys.

Oooh and the new stock is better? Great Canada will have that when I join in a year and a bit. Seeing the world right now.
                      It is improved over the old stock, but still functions in the exact same way (three length settings). This has been done to US Army M4 carbines. I don't know if an improved version has been fielded to the Canadian Army or if they initially fielded at better collapsible stock that hasn't needed to be replaced. Compared to a wood stock, it has less mass, so your power will come mainly from the velocity of the stock when it meets your target. However, I'd still prefer to carry less weight.

Comment

There was a previous post about the updates we are doing to the c-7 with links and all. It was what made me sure I want to come home to Canada to enlist as I seriously considered joining the British Army. I started researching the SA-80A2 as I have a South African friend who joined here and was asking his advice. That's how I ended up on the board. Very informative now I'm hooked.

For some reason not being able to fire from my left shoulder seemed stupid even though I'm right handed. Why expose so much of myself to shoot around a corner?

The article I found here mentioned the Royal 22e in Afganistan is trying out the newer version. They've shortened it etc. Basically it's like everyone will be issued something similar to an M-4. It's in the firearms thread here somewhere.

Comment

Here we go.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-c7a2.htm

Comment

Oooo..... The C79a2 has a FOUR-position adjustable stock.

Comment

IMHBYWIFYDO -In My Humble But Your Wrong If You Disagree Opinion. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X