No announcement yet.

New US 25mm Sniper rifle from Barret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It still doesn't explain how could that barret 25x59mm round go through anything but soft vechiles,"

Depends on the ammo, and the tank, just like i said earlier.

"C'mon the bradleys fired saboted DU penetrators with shell lenght of nearly 200mm ( wild guess )"

Very bad wild guess. The NATO 25mm cartridge is about 140mm in length.

"and muzzle velocity probably near 1500m/s"

You need to reduce that to about 900 m/s for the AP rounds, which are not APDS.

"surely it will penetrate T-72 at certain points but that barret round has much lower velocity therefor lesser penetration power. Perhaps Its true that 25x59mm can take out MBTs but Im having hard time believing it"

It would penetrate the engine grill on pretty much any tank if it had the right kind of ammo.

Comment

Wouldn't you call that a high velocity grenade rifle? The size ratio of the projectile and shell doesn't seem like it is a 'penetrator' type round. Unless its shaped charge type thing or something, definately not the type of WW2 anti-armour rifle.

Comment

"Wouldn't you call that a high velocity grenade rifle?"

Yep, that's exactly what i'd call it.

"The size ratio of the projectile and shell doesn't seem like it is a 'penetrator' type round. Unless its shaped charge type thing or something, definately not the type of WW2 anti-armour rifle."

You'd want HEAT or APDS, preferably the latter. Even standard HE rounds could be very effective if the tank is carrying an external fuel drum(as is common on Russian built tanks) or if it has the crews rucksacks strapped to the outside(as is common on most tanks).

Once a fire starts on the turret or hull, there's no telling how it will spread, and many tanks are disabled even though they suffer no real damage. If the tank is unbuttoned, fire is an extremely large threat to the crew.

Comment

what do you mean "unbuttoned"? unlatched down?

Comment

Hatches open.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoon
              A 25mm may not be able To "kill" an MBT but it can destroy optics gunsights, and break a track, also anyone riding out of the turret would be in a lot of trouble.

And I would like to call that a kill if it's in combat. In the actual fighting it is just about disableing the tank and waht good is an immobile M1A1 with destroyed FC if it's sitting on a battlefield?
              ...and what I'm frightened off, is that they call it God's love...

Comment

The 25mm Bradley gun is virtually useless for killing T72 tanks. The reason that it has had success in this role is because of situations which saw Bradley vehicles ambushing T72s while they still had their standard external fuel-tanks attached! The result was several dozen gallons of diesel fuel igniting right next to the engine grills with predictable results.
                Now, it is not impossible to kill a T72 with a 25mm projectile. No tank, even the M1 Abrams, is so heavily armoured on all surfaces as to be impervious to a AP rounds from a cannon of 25mm bore. However, the key is that it is extremely improbable and certainly not a reliable method of killing them. If anything, the result is generally a demobilized tank, not a dead one.
                One is better off attaching a TOW missile launcher to a Stryker than trusting in a cannon to kill tanks. That is why Bradleys are so equipped.

Comment

I think Gunny should replace the dead chick with the nearly dead fashion victim. That should discourage necroposting with a vengeance.
                  Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 20 Aug 09,, 04:48.
                  I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

I have always been amused by this hatred of necroposting by people in these kind of forums. If a subject is interesting, then why not discuss it? So what if a long period of time has passed since it was the hot topic? It is still a subject worthy of discussion.
                    Many people wrote in this thread about 25mm cannons killing T72s. I happen to know why the T72s were killed by the 25mm and no one else had said the reason, so I added the answer. Is that so terrible?

Comment

Working...
                    X