This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did you get that?

I have a C&R license and WAS able to have one of these shipped directly to my house. Unfortunately California Communist Party (CCP) changed the law and now require even C&R long guns to be registered through FFL.

I looked at the ones from JGSales and AIMSurplus. Just never got around to actually buying one. Plus the ammo is more expensive.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• The supply of K31's are drying up. I got mine over ten years ago. They are very accurate rifles.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Where did you get that?

I have a C&R license and WAS able to have one of these shipped directly to my house. Unfortunately California Communist Party (CCP) changed the law and now require even C&R long guns to be registered through FFL.

I looked at the ones from JGSales and AIMSurplus. Just never got around to actually buying one. Plus the ammo is more expensive.
        AIMsurplus, Samco and Simpsons have them. Mine is through Simpson's. Simpsons has individual pictures of each gun. On my gun the blueing is not too great, but it has all matching numbers and a very sharp, tight bore

I got some ammo from Graf and sons
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
          Ok children,

Feast your eye on this one:

Swiss K31 from probably early '50s, beechwood stock

[ATTACH]36894[/ATTACH][ATTACH]36895[/ATTACH][ATTACH]36896[/ATTACH]

Matching receiver, bolt and magazine numbers; chewed up stock (common with K31s), tight bore with sharp rifling

Coolest of all, opening the buttplate gives you this

[ATTACH]36897[/ATTACH][ATTACH]36898[/ATTACH]

A tag with the details of the soldier this was issued to. Anyone from Switzerland? Would love to track down this gent

My Memorial Day outing is going to be a whole lot of fun
          Congratulations. Just a small question. Weren't the Swiss a neutral country in the war? So which soldier are you refering to?

Comment

• Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
            Congratulations. Just a small question. Weren't the Swiss a neutral country in the war? So which soldier are you refering to?
            They were neutral, but they had army to support their neutrality. You might want to read on Hitler's plan to go to the Alps and why he didn't do it.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
              They are neutral but have a conscript based army. I am a bit hazy on the details but I think every physically active Swiss male over 18 has to serve.
              They have been neutral for a while. Which is why the guns saw a lot of training, skiing, kicking around but very little shooting. That is why I have a 60 year old rifle with a sharp, tight bore :)

The mechanism is also unique (straight pull) compared to other Bolt guns like our very own .303 Lee Enfiled (which our cops still use), Russian Mosin Nagant or German Mauser Kar98. Compared to its age, the machining looks very refined.

Next on my Mil Surp collection list (fund permitting) - the Lee Enfield SMLE No. 1 MK III*
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                They were neutral, but they had army to support their neutrality. You might want to read on Hitler's plan to go to the Alps and why he didn't do it.
                Please, allow me :)

Operation Tannenbaum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                The Impact of the Swiss Civilian Militia On Hitler's War Plans

Looks like the Nazis were scaredy cats when faced with determined men armed with the K31. And now I have one of these :)

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony
                  Please, allow me :)

Operation Tannenbaum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  The Impact of the Swiss Civilian Militia On Hitler's War Plans

Looks like the Nazis were scaredy cats when faced with determined men armed with the K31. And now I have one of these :)
                  You don't fish for other people, you teach them how to fish and never hear from them again

Congrats on the rifle, you got yourself a piece of history.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Next on my Mil Surp collection list (fund permitting) - the Lee Enfield SMLE No. 1 MK III*
                    Grandad & uncle Padda lugged one of those around Papua New Guinea for a few years (or had them handy when they were doing other stuff at the very least). If you really want to impress me, emulate uncle Len aka 'the mad Irishman' who carried a Bren gun through southern Malaysia and, at one point, through Japanese lines. Uncle Len is barely 170cms in his army boots. Don't know how he did it.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                      Grandad & uncle Padda lugged one of those around Papua New Guinea for a few years (or had them handy when they were doing other stuff at the very least). If you really want to impress me, emulate uncle Len aka 'the mad Irishman' who carried a Bren gun through southern Malaysia and, at one point, through Japanese lines. Uncle Len is barely 170cms in his army boots. Don't know how he did it.
                      That would mean a separate registration and tax, a whole lot of trouble. Plus, I am not yet part of the 1%, so not much cash

Comment

Lots of Lee Enfield .303's in India. Try picking one up next time you're here. Probably the only gun I've used.

Comment

The fortifications and the mountain LOCs made the Gustav Line, the Maginot Line, and the Sigfried Line look like Disney Land. The Sudetenland was a walk in the park by comparison. The Swiss can force the Germans into killzones by blowing up axis or rock sliding axis of approach and no outside enemy can do shit all against mountain LOCs. Hell, I don't think the Soviets could have done it with nukes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            The fortifications and the mountain LOCs made the Gustav Line, the Maginot Line, and the Sigfried Line look like Disney Land. The Sudetenland was a walk in the park by comparison. The Swiss can force the Germans into killzones by blowing up axis or rock sliding axis of approach and no outside enemy can do shit all against mountain LOCs. Hell, I don't think the Soviets could have done it with nukes.
                            Really? I have read about how it's literally impossible to invade Switzerland. I just didn't know it's....LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Hopefully I can visit Germany and Switzerland next year.
                            Last edited by gunnut; 23 May 14,, 08:20.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              No disagreement here. SB thought neutrality means no army and/or no rifles.

I wanted him to look around a bit, but you and antimony had to spoil it :)

Comment

I wanted him to look around a bit, but you and antimony had to spoil it :)
                                Yeah, as before you feel obligated to offer advice on what someone needs to do, and SB hops to oblige (not). Old habits die hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X