80% Frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80% Frames

80% frames and receivers. Has anyone made any? If so, I want to give it a shot and am looking for experiences and/or advice.
    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

80% frames

Here is a link to a site with some of the legal specifics KT Ordnance - Dillon, MT
    CADPIPE

Comment

80% frame

80% Castings / Forgings : ExtCart an even better site with a link to a BATF
      CADPIPE

Comment

80% frames another take

Law Research on Home Built firearms Another site addressing the legalities, From what I have read, in 2006, BATF rided a bunch of the 80% shops, Since they are still in operation ATF must have lost the trials if it went that far. Still since you would have to machine your own rails in the slide, something that seems like it would take some skills attained thru years of practice to get exactly parallel on both sides, and exactly the same elevation on the frame, you could screw up easily, and you can't put metal back on once it is off. You could buy consecutive numbered frames from Essex or some other manuf. and build the rest. Then if you ever needed the money, you could sell them. If you have a gun with no serial number, how do you prove it is yours if it is stolen, what do the cops look for to see if it is yours?
        CADPIPE

Comment

I have no experience at all with these 80% frames.

Having said that wouldn't it be possible to have them finished by a professional, there are loads of machine shops out there, that want to earn some $'s? All they would need would be the blue print finished, no dremel bodge jobs.

Tony
          Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

I think there's an obscure law that says we are allowed to "manufacture" one gun for personal use per year. That's where these 80% frames come in. We are only allowed them for personal use. I don't think they are transferable since there is no serial number. I'm not sure if we are allowed to hire someone to finish the frame on our behalf.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Sorry, can't help you there. The law states that 80% frames can only be completed by the individual who owns it, and once finished cannot be sold, else you would be in violation of law. In order to sell firearms you manufacture you must have a manufacturer's license that is issued by the federal government. In short, you, and only you, can finish the firearm, and once completed you cannot sell it.

Comment

I should further clarify my posting. Having already researched much of the legalities of machining my own firearm, I start this thread to find anyone who has had experience with said hobby and am wondering if they have any machining tips they would like to pass on, so I screw up as few frames as possible.

Comment

All the loop holes covered, should of known better;).

I wouldn't take the chance, wasting money is something I don't do readily, please provide a link to the said 80% frames. And we'll have a look.

Tony
                  Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Machining tip

You want to make "one" set up, that allows maching both frame rails with out changing anything so they come out parrallel, if you can use set up blocks and surface gauges to get the top of the frame parallel, lock it down, rotate the mill head so id runs horiz. and feed it at what ever the recommended speed is, run one one side then rotate the table 180. you might want a good set of caliphers to transfer measurements from an existing frame. I would get some metal dye and scribe the lines for the rails and double check them, just like with working on the house "Measure twice cut once".
                    CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                      I should further clarify my posting. Having already researched much of the legalities of machining my own firearm, I start this thread to find anyone who has had experience with said hobby and am wondering if they have any machining tips they would like to pass on, so I screw up as few frames as possible.
                      I haven't built any, but I have friends who have, including one who has made several AKs, including a left-hand Krink (he's building a collection of different configurations). His advice: do research on the Internet before buying a particular frame, see if anyone has comments for you to ponder. Follow the directions exactly. If you don't understand a step, don't do anything until you do. Measure, and measure again before cutting steel. Buy extra parts kits, since they aren't always complete, and sometimes what does come is bunged up. The first time, buy two and try to make all your mistakes on the first one.

Also: larger gun shows in the US always have some people selling such parts, or the templates, or instruction manuals. They are usually happy to assist customers, in an informational way, with their projects. Some larger US cities have public, non-profit machine shops where you can pay a fee and use the equipment for a period of time.

Comment

I have found folks who sell milling jigs that supposedly take a bunch of the guesswork out of some of the milling and drilling. I am looking hard at some of these jigs.

Comment

Working...
                        X