This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several opportunities....

:red: Quite a bit of carpenter work ahead.
    Thanks for posting!

Comment

• While there I ran into an old friend, from one of my car clubs, and his specialty happens to be wood. He noticed that, knows the Federal regs on the use of non-sustainable wood, knows it was teak and said they have one hell of a job coming up with that stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        While there I ran into an old friend, from one of my car clubs, and his specialty happens to be wood. He noticed that, knows the Federal regs on the use of non-sustainable wood, knows it was teak and said they have one hell of a job coming up with that stuff.
        Get us the wood. I have the plans of how it's to be installed.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Awesome stuff:)

Comment

• The New Jerseys decks that were replaced are quite beautiful. A little at a time. It would be nice to find a generous benefactor such as Bill Gates or others that could purchase all of the teak at once and donate it. It comes to quite a "bill".
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Some of you volunteers have expressed concerns that they never received an acknowledgment of the volunteer forms they filled out last year. Those forms have been acknowledged (in a sense) when they were stacked up at the Navy's review office and tipped the scales in our favor that we indeed had the PROFESSIONALS on board and ready to bring the ship back to life.

A new system has been set up on the Pacific Battleship Center web site, pacificbattleship.com, where you can click over to a page to refill out your form for permanent registration, Volunteer | USS Iowa,

Navydoc has told me about a couple of men that live in the San Pedro area that want to work on the ship. This is the form they should submit that will keep them informed as to what is going on where, when and how.

Right now, we are in a desparate need for pipe fitters. Some of the ship's deck drains have been cracked open by ice when she was anchored off of Rhode Island. Those deck drains need repair ASAP. If you are a pipe fitter and live near Richmond, California you will be put to work immediately. If you live near the San Pedro/Long Beach/Wilmington/Los Angeles area, there will still be plenty more for you to do.

In any case, even if you submitted volunteer forms last year, resubmit them on the web page given above for official log-in.

And, last but not least, WELCOME ABOARD.
              Last edited by RustyBattleship; 21 Feb 12,, 03:21.

Comment

• I think we need to go back to the state of Iowa and say
                "Please sir, may I have some more?"

Iowa's governor signs bill authorizing donation to USS Iowa project
                By Donna Littlejohn, Daily Breeze Staff Writer
                Posted: 02/01/2012 01:46:24 PM PST

Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad on Wednesday signed a bill that clears the way for the state's $3 million donation for the USS Iowa battleship's preservation, according to a blog published by the Des Moines Register.

The World War II vessel will be permanently berthed in the Port of Los Angeles later this year as a tourist attraction and memorial.

The Iowa legislature last year allocated $3 million to the Department of Cultural Affairs to go toward the preservation of the ship once it was donated to a nonprofit group as a museum.

The ship was donated last September to the Pacific Battleship Center which is overseeing its refurbishment. The ship currently is in the Port of Richmond in Northern California but will be brought to San Pedro sometime this spring.

The bill signed by the governor outlines how the money should be spent and also provides a timeline and reporting requirements.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  Some of you volunteers have expressed concerns that they never received an acknowledgment of the volunteer forms they filled out last year. Those forms have been acknowledged (in a sense) when they were stacked up at the Navy's review office and tipped the scales in our favor that we indeed had the PROFESSIONALS on board and ready to bring the ship back to life.

A new system has been set up on the Pacific Battleship Center web site, pacificbattleship.com, where you can click over to a page to refill out your form for permanent registration, Volunteer | USS Iowa,

Navydoc has told me about a couple of men that live in the San Pedro area that want to work on the ship. This is the form they should submit that will keep them informed as to what is going on where, when and how.

Right now, we are in a desparate need for pipe fitters. Some of the ship's deck drains have been cracked open by ice when she was anchored off of Rhode Island. Those deck drains need repair ASAP. If you are a pipe fitter and live near Richmond, California you will be put to work immediately. If you live near the San Pedro/Long Beach/Wilmington/Los Angeles area, there will still be plenty more for you to do.

In any case, even if you submitted volunteer forms last year, resubmit them on the web page given above for official log-in.

And, last but not least, WELCOME ABOARD.
                  *Hows about that ingenious deck drainage system? Had those problems before, The idea behind it is mind boggling.;)

Comment

• from another site

Rusty,
                    This pic was posted on another site. Can you tell if it's Iowa?

Yes, I guess this is cheating in a way! But, at least I know who to go to!

Comment

• Given the size of the bulwark birdbath up front I would think this to be either Iowa or Wisconsin. Looking at a pic of Iowa, New Jersey and Wisconsin post Korean war (1967) tells me Iowas bullwark had a smaller lip and Wisconsins a larger lip around the bulwark of the birdbath. Im gonna say Iowa.

Heres the pic I refer too. Philly Navy Yard 1967.
                      http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016111s.jpg

Iowa and New Jersey

Here is where you can see that Iowa has the smaller lip at the bulwark. Compare Iowa to Wisconsin to New Jersey.
                      http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016440.jpg

Iowa and Wisconsin would not have lost their birdbaths until 1982/83 reactivation. New Jersey and Missouri had alread lost theirs.
                      Last edited by Dreadnought; 02 Mar 12,, 00:15.

Comment

• Given what is visible on the number the second numeral is either a 1 or a 4. I'm going with the "1"...

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                          Rusty,
                          This pic was posted on another site. Can you tell if it's Iowa?
                          [ATTACH]28539[/ATTACH]

Yes, I guess this is cheating in a way! But, at least I know who to go to!
                          Not without seeing more of the superstructure above main deck. In WW II all four ships had the 20 mm gun tubs at the bow but today only the Wisconsin and Iowa have kept them. I can see the forward boat tending booms are stowed and the starboard accomodation ladder is rigged put pulled up.

The crew is hosing down the starboard anchor as it is coming aweigh and one of the flukes has snagged a wire of some sort causing more than a normal number of crewmen looking over the bullwark (a MINE?). Interestingly there is a similar wire hanging off the port anchor that is already housed.

But just behind the anchor I can make out the small size number "6" which would be WW II size. The second digit looks like it could be the top of the number "1", but clarity is obscured by the anchor washdown spray.

I need a pic showing the bullwark around the 08 level secondary conning station or the top of turret II to tell for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post

But just behind the anchor I can make out the small size number "6" which would be WW II size. The second digit looks like it could be the top of the number "1", but clarity is obscured by the anchor washdown spray.
                            Say I thought the cataract surgery not only gave you 20/20 but also X-ray eyes too...

Comment

• In the pictures I posted (link) in PNSY, Note the Wisconsins heavier and longer length gusset work supporting the bulwark brow. The picture posted shows the gusset work hidden and a smaller lip. I doubt that structure would have changed from WWII. This is why I say it is the Iowa and not Wisconsin. They kept these structures through the Korean War where as the other two Iowas had already had them removed.
                              Last edited by Dreadnought; 02 Mar 12,, 04:34.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow of Iowa.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	1449802The ship shown is the USS Missouri, WW II era.

The clue is that "rib" around the bullwark. It is actually the Venturi shield that deflects wind to go up and over the deck. In the photo, it is very low in height and it wraps all the way around.

On Iowa and Wisconsin, the venturi shield is deeper in its depth with a more noticable flare at the bottom and only goes half way around the shield. Internet researching did find a WW II photo of Missouri with the full wrap-around venturi.
                                Last edited by RustyBattleship; 02 Mar 12,, 19:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X