Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally some news outlet got it right. We hope to get her topsides painted out and if I can get EXPERIENCED shipfitters who have built WARSHIP MASTS we can put the mast back together. I have a hunch I'll be doing most of the grinding of weld bevels, shaping of welding sleeves and even some of the tack welding myself. Or at least offering some tricks of the trade to those not quite experienced.

But what the heck, if it keeps me active and gets me below 205 lbs, I'll be real happy. I was around 245 before we really got going on this baby. This ship has been better for my health than any redundant and boring exercise program.
    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 23 Dec 11,, 06:30.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Rusty, another great way for that ship to continue to serve! It will give life and thriving back to many! Just like any machine, if the human body is put back to work and into shape it will go on and on! I see it on our ship with our 88 year old MMC Farnsworth! He works circles around me! Having a purpose and a job to do is extending the life and viability of everyone involved! Just as it does to these great "ladies of the sea" that have and will continue to serve!
      Just make sure you have a Corpsman around just in case! hehe

Comment

• Man I wish I lived closer, I'd volunteer some welding, painting, and wiring work. Oh well, at least I got a model kit of Missouri for Christmas. Should be fun to build.
        "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
        -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

• If San Pedro is too far for ya, we have a crew from Michigan that comes in for 5 days in the Spring and Fall and do just those kind of jobs on our little DE! You sleep in the berths eat in the mess and shower in the head! If you would like I can put you in touch with the contact in Michigan! He just also happens to be on our Board of Trustees!
          Merry Christmas to all!
          Plus, a Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish brothers!

Comment

• Wikimapia must have updated their database recently.
            Iowa is now visible at the pier in Richmond!

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Comment

• Google Earth shows her there as well. What is funny is that you can still find the ship in Suisun Bay. So, I guess there are 2 Iowas now. BB-61 & BB-61A? ��

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayGhost1975 View Post
                Google Earth shows her there as well. What is funny is that you can still find the ship in Suisun Bay. So, I guess there are 2 Iowas now. BB-61 & BB-61A? ��
                Shhh, they're secretly building Iowa's again - soon there will be three...
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Comment

• Shhhhhh......it could be "Operation Fortitude" all over again!

What those Chinese satellites see may direct their naval development in the near future!

I wonder how much material it takes to make an inflatable Iowa!

Comment

• Cant be too diffacult given the target dummy's they built on some AF bases way back when. Like this one built on a US AF base. This one was called "Muroc Maru". Muroc AF base.

I have seen other photos of other BB dummys too.

The Brits were also pretty good at making inflatables (tanks, aircraft etc) prior to the D-Day landing to help keep up the rouse of when the Normandy landings would take place.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Dreadnought; 21 Jan 12,, 18:59.
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

I have seen other photos of other BB dummys too.
                        Pictures? Hell, I know a few....

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                          Wikimapia must have updated their database recently.
                          Iowa is now visible at the pier in Richmond!
                          [ATTACH]28197[/ATTACH]

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
                          No doubt before December 13th as that is the day the fleet tug Quapaw sank. In the lower left corner, where the Red Oak is, you can still see her floating next to the Moctobi.

Comment

• So, Rusty you in here somewhere??

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                              So, Rusty you in here somewhere??[ATTACH]28422[/ATTACH]
                              Nope! Though the guy in the sun tans in the back row looks something like me, he's apparently at the weight I'm trying to get down to.

I wore my American Legion hat for the photo (courtesy Bob Riha Jr. of USA TODAY) and the Battleship Program badge I wore in the 1980's during their reactivation.
                              Attached Files
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• What the Iowa looks like on a weekend at Point Richmond. She is open Sat. & Sun. from 10am-4pm. The only space people can walk around is from the front of the gangway to just at the tip of the guns for Turret 1 and then down the other side. You can see plywood down over the teak deck and areas where it has already been pulled. More has been pulled form the stern so no visitor can go back there. I did over hear many asking if anything inside was open for viewing.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X