Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
    It was actually cut off in 1987. Weight savings, you know
    Actually it was not for weight savings. It was to prevent flooding of the forepeak tank. The paravane "eye" was a steel casting of the forefoot skeg attached to the rounded bow. Through the rounded bow was a pipe running up through the forepeak tank and up to the Main Deck for feeding the lead chain to.

Around the periphery of the chain "hole" going up into the ship was literraly rotted around around the weld where the ships chain pipe was welded to the forefoot skeg. Therefore, New Jersey's forepeak tank was flooded for many years until I ordere the whole damn thing to be removed and replaced with a nice looking formed plate to fill in the bulbous bow of the ship.

The pipe size on Iowa and New Jersey was a nominal size of 7 inches. But during the war, odd numbered pipe sizes (particularly any over 6 inches nominal size) were phased out simplifying an increase in production by making pipe with nominal sizes in even numbers only. Therefore, the Paravan chain pipes on Missouri and Wisconsin are 8 inch nominal sizes.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      Actually it was not for weight savings.
      cRusty, cRusty, cRusty..... yes I know it was rotted, saw it in person.
      The icon means it's a joke.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        Not a problem friend.:)
        Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
        cRusty, cRusty, cRusty..... yes I know it was rotted, saw it in person.
        The icon means it's a joke.....
        Ooops. Didn't catch that smiley. Still too tired out from taking care of my wife. However she is a lot better now and is waiting for our daughter to pick her up for a shopping trip.:P

One good thing for today, she was actually able to take a shower. The bad thing is I couldn't join her because the shower stool took up to much room.

Oh well, she would just be dissappointed anyway.:(

Comment

Rusty apparently some sort of anti fouling paint was applied according to this link.
          http://www.paintsquare.com/news/arti...ws.cfm?id=3747
          Last edited by surfgun; 07 Oct 10,, 04:15.

Comment

rusty, is this you in the photo of the Missouri in the dry dock (far right)

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post

No, that's not me. I've lost quite a bit of weight recently (no more Hershey bars). Even though I provided the docking block arrangement drawing for them, I was not invited. It's a good thing too because I would have been very ticked off. It doesn't look like they used a standard anti-fouling paint on her hull below the boot top. I'm not even sure if it is anti-fouling or not as the only ones I've seen are deep red or bright blue.

Comment

They used Dura-Plate UHS Epoxy and SeaGuard Vinyl Anitfoulant for below the waterline. I guess the vinyl stuff is "eco-friendly"?

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  No, that's not me. I've lost quite a bit of weight recently (no more Hershey bars). Even though I provided the docking block arrangement drawing for them, I was not invited. It's a good thing too because I would have been very ticked off. It doesn't look like they used a standard anti-fouling paint on her hull below the boot top. I'm not even sure if it is anti-fouling or not as the only ones I've seen are deep red or bright blue.
                  Rusty what is the difference? It seems like epoxy is being used on many ships now over the traditional anti fouling paint. I know BB59 used a "Red Hand Epoxy" during her dry docking.

Two questions does color make a difference, and what is the "anti fouling" do better than an apoxy?

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
                    cRusty and wife at picnic two weeks ago.

LBNSY Picinc 2010 :: Dick Landgraff and Julia picture by donherr - Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      They used Dura-Plate UHS Epoxy and SeaGuard Vinyl Anitfoulant for below the waterline. I guess the vinyl stuff is "eco-friendly"?
                      Top coat can only bond as good as the primer sticks to the metal, especially "Low VOC Friendly" , right ;)
                      Found these paint containers in a locker on a ship berthed on the Mississippi River.
                      Interesting what types of materials are used by preservaton groups to maintain a ship.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/nav...her-class.html
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by blidgepump; 12 Oct 10,, 18:59.

Comment

Working...
                      X