Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd imagine it's just external cosmetic work that would need to be done to the Iowa, ie. new deck, fix some rust, and paint. Oh wait a sec it's a 887 foot long, 45,000 ton ship, I guess even cosmetic is serious!
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
      I'd imagine it's just external cosmetic work that would need to be done to the Iowa, ie. new deck, fix some rust, and paint. Oh wait a sec it's a 887 foot long, 45,000 ton ship, I guess even cosmetic is serious!

I was part of the Iowa crew when she was decommissioned. The rumor was there were some serious problems (leaks) in the fuel system that would have needed repair if the ship were to remain in commission. But then, I worked in Ops, not engineering, so I can't say for certain that is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
        I'd imagine it's just external cosmetic work that would need to be done to the Iowa, ie. new deck, fix some rust, and paint. Oh wait a sec it's a 887 foot long, 45,000 ton ship, I guess even cosmetic is serious!
        Approximately 200 tons of MAB Haze grey for that paint job not including her red oxide nor black striping at the waterline. The hull numbers on the bow and stern are special paint. The letters are 8'-0" high.
        And it took 1500 gallons of white to do the interior and passage ways.;)
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• I thank God that the Battleship USS New Jersey has been preserved in Camden, NJ.

What a proud monument. May our great Battleship & highly decorated vessel live forever.

Ironically; Our Army may resurrect the Battleships, due to the need for naval gunnery.

The loss of the Crusader & other NLOS cannons is difficult to overcome for Our Army.

As with the A-10 Warthog, Our Generals may require the support needed to win wars.

I personally feel this eventuality should be pursued through Congress immediately.

America deserves to be defended properly when at war, "Re-Commission Our Battleships."
          "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

Comment

• *Wont happen, they are cosigned to the History books now and forever and hopefully no younger generations will ever see them in service again. If they do then that means all else has failed and we as a people have failed as well.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
              I was part of the Iowa crew when she was decommissioned. The rumor was there were some serious problems (leaks) in the fuel system that would have needed repair if the ship were to remain in commission. But then, I worked in Ops, not engineering, so I can't say for certain that is true.
              The leak was in one of your secondary (back up) lube oil pumps. It has been removed from the ship. It's motor and motor foundation are still there, but not the pump.

This we found on our inspection in 2006.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• ???

Ironically; Our Army may resurrect the Battleships, due to the need for naval gunnery.

No the Army is NOT asking for any such thing. The Army has NOTHING to do with naval gunfire support other than training FSOs how to call for fire. If anything, it would be the USMC, who trains their artilleryment at.....FT Sill, home of the US Army Artillery.

The loss of the Crusader & other NLOS cannons is difficult to overcome for Our Army.

Crusader was an anachronism.

Precision fire MLRS and 155mm work just fine for the Army's needs now and well into the future. The Army doesn't need anything to do with a 70 year old weapons concept.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• Ryan Bailey and A.R. Reply

I'll enter the fray to say that USAFAS did a piss-poor job of preparing F.O.s, FIST leaders and sergeants, and Bn./BDE FSOs/S-3 (Air) on directing and managing CAS on a modern battlefield.

As to naval gunfire, I remember NOTHING about NGF except it would really help if you've gone to the ANGLICO course at Coronado, Ca. They are the in-house resident experts.

Crusader never separated itself qualitatively from off-the-market purchases like the AS-90 or the PzH2000 except by weight. The price-tag made no sense whatsoever given the margins of improvement-if at all.

I'm quite satisfied with the Paladin M109A6-may it long continue to shoot. The Brits just used some precision rocket fires the other day south of GARMSIR to knock-down a talibunny POS from which they're were taking fire.

Come a day when we fight the Russians or Chinese, I'd happily take my chances still with an M109A6.

Thanks.
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• S-2 & A.R. Reply

Thanks for the input. I am a huge fan of both MLRS & Paladins.

I do pray that the tracked SPARTY stays in service.

All tracks were targeted for termination under GEN Shinseki.

His preference for wheels over tracks was well published.

I don't know if we've backed off from that in the years since.

Do you have information as to that trackpad v. wheel question ?

I pray God that we keep tanks & SP cannons for the future conflicts.

And to come back to the thread's point....battleships too:)
                    "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                      I'll enter the fray to say that USAFAS did a piss-poor job of preparing F.O.s, FIST leaders and sergeants, and Bn./BDE FSOs/S-3 (Air) on directing and managing CAS on a modern battlefield.

As to naval gunfire, I remember NOTHING about NGF except it would really help if you've gone to the ANGLICO course at Coronado, Ca. They are the in-house resident experts.

Crusader never separated itself qualitatively from off-the-market purchases like the AS-90 or the PzH2000 except by weight. The price-tag made no sense whatsoever given the margins of improvement-if at all.

I'm quite satisfied with the Paladin M109A6-may it long continue to shoot. The Brits just used some precision rocket fires the other day south of GARMSIR to knock-down a talibunny POS from which they're were taking fire.

Come a day when we fight the Russians or Chinese, I'd happily take my chances still with an M109A6.

Thanks.
                      The M109A6 is outclassed by the newest Russian systems, as is the MLRS. The 2S19 Msta out ranges the M109A6 by up to 6km and has twice the rate of fire. Plus the Msta has the Krasnopol self guiding anti-armor round. A big improvement over the Copperhead. The BM-30 Smerch is likewise superior to the M270. The Smerch can throw a 300mm missile up to 90km that is 20 more than the M270.

Russia hasn't bought many of these systems yet, but their purchase of the Msta is accelerating and both systems are for sale on the world market. Should for any reason the US Army be forced to rely on its Red legs due to a lack of air cover against a force equipped with these more modern systems we are asking for filled body bags to be sent home. The M109 is a good system but it is rapidly approaching being obsolete.

Comment

• There is a great paper written on the need for upgraded NSFS, and the writer, an Army COL named Shawn Welsh, does indeed mention the battleships and what they can bring to the fight short term till a long term solution is found. He wrote it in May 07. It is called: Solving the NSFS Capabilities Gap. It was written as his Masters Thesis for the Joint Advanced Warfighting School. I have it as a PDF file, you can find it on the web.

So, the Army is not asking for their reactivation, but at least one COLONEL is.

Comment

• Originally posted by looking4NSFS View Post
                          There is a great paper written on the need for upgraded NSFS, and the writer, an Army COL named Shawn Welsh, does indeed mention the battleships and what they can bring to the fight short term till a long term solution is found. He wrote it in May 07. It is called: Solving the NSFS Capabilities Gap. It was written as his Masters Thesis for the Joint Advanced Warfighting School. I have it as a PDF file, you can find it on the web.

So, the Army is not asking for their reactivation, but at least one COLONEL is.
                          Let me see, A National Guard,Corps of Engineers Col who has No combat arms, much less fire support experience, thought it was a good idea.

One that was a member of the lying USNFSA.

Would you happen to have an intelligent argument for bringing back battleships?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan Bailey View Post
                            FYI, ALL Field Artillery weapons are NLOS

America deserves to be defended properly when at war, "Re-Commission Our Battleships."
                            So what would the BBs and their big guns contribute to the GWOT in Afghanistan?

One modern DD (Burke) carries more long range punch than all 4 Iowa class ships combined.
                            Last edited by Gun Grape; 27 Mar 09,, 03:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                              From the Blockhouse, its not their job. In addition there would be no where to support a yearly class cycle. Unless you could get a AF and Navy/MC squadron stationed at either Tinker or Shepard whos sole purpose would be the USAFAS Joint CAS Support Squadron.

That would never fly. For the Field grade and above billets, its an issue for the C&S course. Sgt and below, maybe the Army needs to change the 13F to something more in line with the USMC 0861s.

Naval gang bang school is in Coronado. All 0861s attend. Don't confuse Smart, Strong good looking Marines with those crazy mothers that jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

That would be like getting me and Walking Dead confused

Comment

• Iowa's aren't coming back into commision without something world shattering happening and anything that does that is likely to killl the possiblity of them being brought back. (only possibility outside of this is the misuri becoming something like the constitution which is also very unlikely.)

Now a modern heavily armoured missileship with gun turrets of heavy cruiser/battleship size is an interesting possibility but the economics of it probably aren't worthwile.

Comment

Working...
                                X