USS America (LHA-6) News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
    Probably. I have another story on Soviet hardware stemming from their unprecedented visit to San Diego back in 1984-1985-ish, and how three of us SWOS instructors got pressed into service for ONI. Nothing sexy; just "interesting."
    Hmmmmm, sounds similar to the NROTC instructor saying how our tourist photography as merchant officers (when I was in that pipeline) could be of interest for a look over by that section.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      I can verify that story, only change the rank. The troop leader was a Sgt. I know him.
      He has my utmost respect.:wors: I kind of would have liked to have seen that. The look on the LAPD guy's faces must have been precious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamara View Post
        Hmmmmm, sounds similar to the NROTC instructor saying how our tourist photography as merchant officers (when I was in that pipeline) could be of interest for a look over by that section.
        You know what? I had my visits mixed up. In the 80s it was the tall ships that made a visit and we all went for a look, because we could. It was 1990 when I was working on the PACFLT PEB that my CO called the three of us in, told us to grab our spouses/significant others, and go in mufti, to stand in line for hours as we toured the two warships; as I recall, a Udaloy and a Sovremmeny. For some reason I keep thinking there was a third combatant, but I'm not sure about that. There was some sort of supply ship too, but no one was interested in that. Upon completion of said assignment, we were visited in our building by a guy from 3rd Fleet Staff who asked us to write down our impressions. I hasten to add that even though all engineers, one of us was had also been an Operations Officer with significant time in service as an enlisted ET, the other had also been a Weapons Officer who knew more about guns and missiles than the law allows, and me, who up to that point had only six months in the Communications Department on the carrier, and the rest of my 11 years as a "wrench." When I wasn't doing it, I was teaching it, and when I wasn't teaching it, I was inspecting it. I damn near never got free of it. :insane:

Anyway, there were actually four of us, because my wife, who broke her right hip when she was 25, had just had it replaced so she wasn't going anywhere. So, we used one of our staff who graduated second in her class, with a BS in Physics no less, at the Naval Academy; the first graduating class with women in it, to be my "wife" (her actual husband was an F-14 jock, and there is a story there as well vis-a-vis the movie "Top Gun"). She had done her sea duty in tenders and an AFS, as was the norm at the time, and upon leaving her job there, she went to Woods Hole and got a Ph.D. in Oceanography. Anyway, together, we looked like we could be a "couple."

Regardless, we took our walk around and wrote down our impressions and that was that. Like I said, nothing sexy, just interesting. My main impression though was that they had better get the first shot off and then run like hell, because if they ever took a hit, they were going to the bottom, and quickly. To say that damage control, as we know and practice it, was a foreign concept to them would be an understatement. Whether the Russian Navy has improved upon that, I have no way of knowing, but they'd better hope so, for their sakes. I think we all were thinking along the same lines.

I suspect we weren't the only US naval officers similarly employed during that visit. We were probably all tripping over each other and didn't know it. :slap:
        Last edited by desertswo; 17 Jul 14,, 06:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          I can verify that story, only change the rank. The troop leader was a Sgt. I know him.
          And they never learn....same thing happened in Detroit during one of the riots back in the 1960s. MI ARNG lit up a building in much the same manner.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

He has my utmost respect.:wors: I kind of would have liked to have seen that. The look on the LAPD guy's faces must have been precious.
            Sir, I believe it would have been some time before you saw their faces....as I am sure they hit the deck and scrambled for cover when the unexpected outgoing happened right over their heads!
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

To say that damage control, as we know and practice it, was a foreign concept to them would be an understatement. Whether the Russian Navy has improved upon that, I have no way of knowing, but they'd better hope so, for their sakes.
              Perhaps this explains why the Russians managed to sink so many of their nuclear subs. I've wondered how they lost so many when to my understanding, they mostly stayed close to home compared to the extensive deployments of the USN.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                Perhaps this explains why the Russians managed to sink so many of their nuclear subs. I've wondered how they lost so many when to my understanding, they mostly stayed close to home compared to the extensive deployments of the USN.
                Yeah, I had this uncle from Butte, Montana, who knew nothing, and was all too willing to demonstrate his ignorance by opening mouth and inserting foot. I recall a Christmas family gathering in San Diego in the early-80s, and we were all sort of sitting around with the TV on in the background, with CNN doing it's thing with a story about how the Soviets were planning to operate their boomers off of our east coast. He started going off about how it was the end of the world, yadda, yadda, yadda. I stopped him in his tracks and explained (I thought rather patiently:grump:) that the Soviets could hit us from anywhere with their submarines, including from under the polar icecap. Near or far, it just didn't matter as dead is dead. Well, I guess the young whippersnapper shoving some knowledge into his craw (with my closed fist not too far behind, but ultimately unused) was too much for him to handle, and he never spoke to me again. Worked for me because he was a waste of human flesh anyway.

My father used to keep him in his box, but he'd died just a couple of years before, and this uncle had somehow gotten it into his head that he was going to be the alpha male of my mom's side of the family. Wrong answer! I had quashed his dreams of greatness! :Dancing-Banana: I used to do all sorts of stuff to really piss him off. For instance, he was this big, bullshit Notre Dame fan with all of the gear and paraphernalia that he'd wear while watching a game on TV, even if by himself, like a scene out of fucking "Rudy" or something. I really didn't care about Notre Dame one way or another, being as how I'd graduated from San Diego State and we gave the NFL Don Coryell and it's never been the same since; but anyway, just to piss in his Wheaties, I fained a great love for USC, and would rub it in every time the Fighting Methodists (the Trojans' original name) of the University of Southern California kicked the shit out of the Irish; especially in front of Touchdown Jesus. I swear, the dumb bastard would start crying!:confu:

Moreover, this guy was an example of one of those quirky Irish sociological/anthropological phenomena, with which you being from Southie AR, might be familiar, loosely referred to in academia as being "The Boy." While passing as many of the old ways do, it still occurs to one degree or another in the west of Ireland in particular. And where were my mother and her twin sister born in 1918? Why West Cork of course! Basically, the way it works is that if a man does not marry, he is considered to be a "boy." Actually the John Ford classic, "The Quiet Man" did a good job of illustrating it, in that both John Wayne and Victor McLaglen, were "boys" until Wayne married McLaglan's sister played by Maureen O'Hara. Anyway, a man can be 90 years old, and he's still a boy.

Well, dear old asshole Uncle Mike (yes, I'm named after him, much to my father's chagrin), never married, and was therefore, a boy. Now, this was never spelled out anywhere in our households (and my aunt lived across the street from us so we were all in and out of each other's kitchens . . . how creepy is that?), but these two women, one of whom, my aunt, was widowed young with two boys of her own (one of whom, as Rod Stewart once said in a TV interview, was "gayer than Christmas," and also became a "boy"), took care of that asshole till the day he died, well into his 70s. Going to his apartment every weekend to do his laundry and clean the fucking place, buying him groceries, and generally doing everything but wipe his nose. I used to tell my mom to knock that shit off, but she'd just look at me like I had three heads. Old habits and customs die hard.

What the hell that has to do with Soviet submarines, I'll never know!:slap:;)

Seriously, the Soviets came up with some great designs in their submarine fleet, but they have always been behind the power curve when it comes to safety issues. It used to be almost like they just didn't care about crews at some point, and when it came to redundancy, there just wasn't any. So people died. I am not a nuke, but in that fleet engineering inspection job I had, I worked with several nuclear power officers, including one Captain who started out life in Enterprise, had command of a Spruance, and was on his way after that job to one of the California or Virginia-class CGNs. We were sitting around a table in our "caucus room" aboard some ship, waiting for the next shoe to drop on this inspection, and we got to talking about Chernobyl vs. Three Mile Island. Needless to say, the Captain was professionally well-versed on both, and he held a pretty fascinating school call, which basically came down to Chernobyl being a land-based example of the Soviet lack of credible redundancy in their systems. A lot of Soviet first responders and others heroically gave their lives there, when it all could have been avoided by simply doubling down on safety systems in the basic design. Conversely, Three Mile Island, for all that went wrong, and as scary as that was, was a situation in which the plant did what it was designed to do, and tragedy was averted because of redundancy of systems; particularly safety related equipment.

Our designs maybe can't go as fast, and maybe they cannot dive as deep. I say "maybe" in both cases, because how fast and how deep are closely held secrets in which I am not "read in," however, our engineering plants are extremely safe, and most importantly QUIET, even in a nuke plant which are inherently noisier than a diesel boat on batteries, the hulls are safe in the wake of the USS Thresher disaster of 1963, and Rickover came up with the "SUBSAFE" program which, much like "Level One" QA in conventional and nuclear high pressure and temperature piping systems, puts a pedigree of sorts on all submarine hull systems that have communication with the sea and/or ballast tanks, etc. If a nut or bolt does not have the proper SUBSAFE paperwork, it doesn't go into the system, period.

In any event, we put a high value on high tech in sensors and weapons systems, and proper training and QA/QC in nuclear (and conventional steam as well) engineering plant operations and repairs. The guys on that side of the street take "lessons learned" very seriously in the submarine world, and short of high intensity combat action, invariably err on the side of safety. On the whole, it has served the Navy and the nation well.

Comment

Seriously, the Soviets came up with some great designs in their submarine fleet, but they have always been behind the power curve when it comes to safety issues. It used to be almost like they just didn't care about crews at some point, and when it came to redundancy, there just wasn't any. So people died. I am not a nuke, but in that fleet engineering inspection job I had, I worked with several nuclear power officers, including one Captain who started out life in Enterprise, had command of a Spruance, and was on his way after that job to one of the California or Virginia-class CGNs. We were sitting around a table in our "caucus room" aboard some ship, waiting for the next shoe to drop on this inspection, and we got to talking about Chernobyl vs. Three Mile Island. Needless to say, the Captain was professionally well-versed on both, and he held a pretty fascinating school call, which basically came down to Chernobyl being a land-based example of the Soviet lack of credible redundancy in their systems. A lot of Soviet first responders and others heroically gave their lives there, when it all could have been avoided by simply doubling down on safety systems in the basic design. Conversely, Three Mile Island, for all that went wrong, and as scary as that was, was a situation in which the plant did what it was designed to do, and tragedy was averted because of redundancy of systems; particularly safety related equipment.

Our designs maybe can't go as fast, and maybe they cannot dive as deep. I say "maybe" in both cases, because how fast and how deep are closely held secrets in which I am not "read in," however, our engineering plants are extremely safe, and most importantly QUIET, even in a nuke plant which are inherently noisier than a diesel boat on batteries, the hulls are safe in the wake of the USS Thresher disaster of 1963, and Rickover came up with the "SUBSAFE" program which, much like "Level One" QA in conventional and nuclear high pressure and temperature piping systems, puts a pedigree of sorts on all submarine hull systems that have communication with the sea and/or ballast tanks, etc. If a nut or bolt does not have the proper SUBSAFE paperwork, it doesn't go into the system, period.

In any event, we put a high value on high tech in sensors and weapons systems, and proper training and QA/QC in nuclear (and conventional steam as well) engineering plant operations and repairs. The guys on that side of the street take "lessons learned" very seriously in the submarine world, and short of high intensity combat action, invariably err on the side of safety. On the whole, it has served the Navy and the nation well.
                  Two questions come to mind. I've always pondered the benefits of nuclear power in larger surface combatants like the California and Virginia CGN's. I'm guessing the higher operating costs doomed these classes when the Cold War ended.

The other is the notion that diesel-electric and the new AIP submarines of the world are inherently (and operationally) much quieter than nuclear propulsion in submarines. So if you don't need the range, speed, and endurance that the nuclear sub provides, the AIP sub provides a very credible weapon system for short-range, port patrol, coastal, littoral, ect. operations.

Wondering what your thoughts are on these topics :).

Comment

• Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
                    Two questions come to mind. I've always pondered the benefits of nuclear power in larger surface combatants like the California and Virginia CGN's. I'm guessing the higher operating costs doomed these classes when the Cold War ended.
                    Not just operating costs, but the cost in the training pipeline as well. Not just for the power plant, but for missile launcher systems that were going away as well with the advent of the MK-41 VLS system; and about a half a hundred other things. Personally I think it's a shame the way they were sort of kicked to the curb before their time, but you could see the writing on the wall.

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
                    The other is the notion that diesel-electric and the new AIP submarines of the world are inherently (and operationally) much quieter than nuclear propulsion in submarines. So if you don't need the range, speed, and endurance that the nuclear sub provides, the AIP sub provides a very credible weapon system for short-range, port patrol, coastal, littoral, ect. operations.
                    I've gone on record more than once saying that the Swedish Gotland-class scares the living hell out of me.

Comment

Not just operating costs, but the cost in the training pipeline as well. Not just for the power plant, but for missile launcher systems that were going away as well with the advent of the MK-41 VLS system; and about a half a hundred other things. Personally I think it's a shame the way they were sort of kicked to the curb before their time, but you could see the writing on the wall.

I've gone on record more than once saying that the Swedish Gotland-class scares the living hell out of me.
                      I'm more of a SPIGGEN enthusiast...
                      "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

• Breaking news, about the man that brought back ball caps to the fleet.

By MC1 John Scorza USS America (LHA 6) Public Affairs
                        STRAIT OF MAGELLAN (NNS) -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus embarked the future USS America (LHA 6) as she transited the Strait of Magellan during her maiden voyage, "America Visits the Americas," Aug. 19.

A tilt-rotor MV-22 Osprey, assigned to the "Argonauts" of Marine Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron (VMX) 22 transported Mabus and members of his staff to the America. Shortly after his arrival on board, Mabus ate dinner with the crew on the enlisted mess decks and spoke during an all-hands call.

Rear Adm. Frank Ponds, commander, Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) 3, introduced Mabus during the all-hands call as the youngest Mississippi Governor to be elected in 150 years, a naval officer and "the man who brought ball caps back to the fleet." Ponds went on to describe just a few of the Secretary's responsibilities, such as a 150-million-dollar annual budget, and taking care of more than 900 thousand Sailors, Marines, civilians and their families.

"Quality of service and quality of life have always been a priority for our Secretary," said Ponds. "He has four priorities: platforms, power, partnerships and the number one priority, which is and always has been, people."

After Ponds completed his introduction, Mabus took the microphone and began speaking to the Sailors and Marines in the crowd.

"I came down here to meet Sailors and Marines," he said. "For many of you, this is your first shipboard assignment and your first cruise. When I think about the Navy, the Marine Corps and how to organize it, the way I try to do it is by [using my four priorities]. When you put all four of those together, it gives us what the Navy and Marine Corps uniquely give the country, and that is presence. Being in the right place, not just at the right time, but all the time."

Mabus spoke on his four priorities and soon after, opened the floor for questions. Immediately following, he took the time to shake hands and take photos with every member of the crew that desired one. More than 400 Sailors and Marines waited patiently to take a photo with the Secretary.

"It was touching to see the Navy's top leader come out and see us operate," said Aviation Boatswain's Mate 1st Class Ulysses Craig. "Shaking everyone's hand was something he didn't have to do. It showed a lot of character on his part and how much he believes in putting Sailors first."

America is the first ship of its class, replacing the Tarawa-class of amphibious assault ships. As the next generation "big-deck" amphibious assault ship, America is optimized for aviation, capable of supporting current and future aircraft such as the MV-22 Osprey and F-35B Joint Strike Fighter. The ship is scheduled to be ceremoniously commissioned Oct. 11 in San Francisco.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                          America is the first ship of its class, replacing the Tarawa-class of amphibious assault ships. As the next generation "big-deck" amphibious assault ship, America is optimized for aviation, capable of supporting current and future aircraft such as the MV-22 Osprey and F-35B Joint Strike Fighter. The ship is scheduled to be ceremoniously commissioned Oct. 11 in San Francisco.
                          Well...I like to think that I am serving onboard a WASP class LHD...considering the last TARAWA class LHA is the PEL...

Besides that, I have great faith in the implementation of the AMERICA Class LHA's...especially when they start putting the goddamn welldeck back in action... Sorry, but LCAC's play a gi-friggin-gantic role in OPS for our amphibs.
                          "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

• Well here is what I believe they were thinking. Since the Tarawa class couldn't carry a LCAC (the reason for the Whidbey Island Class), then the follow on class didn't need it either. A few of the Tarawas were used in the Harrier Carrier role during both of the Gulf Wars. So the focus became more on that aspect than the traditional role of a Landing Ship.

Focus on the role they played for a few months vice the one they did for years. What were they smoking?

Comment

• The justifications I've read all center on the USN/USMC wanting to deliver amphibious troops from over the horizon to minimize the risk to the 'phibs. LCAC worked for a while but is vulnerable to the shore-based ASMs that everyone seems to be getting these days. The thought with the America-class is that they would deliver their marines solely by helicopter and V-22 supported by Harriers and/or F-35Bs. The decision to omit the well deck has been controversial since the very beginning.

Comment

• Well she came in on Monday morning. The rest of the ships came in on Friday which is a change since it was usually Saturday morning. As a result was unable to be out there in the Presidio to shoot pictures early in the morning.

The America was christened today. Here is a video of her coming in Monday morning under the Golden Gate Bridge with the fog lifting to a sunny day.

Comment

Working...
                                X