CVN-78 Gerald W Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    You need to have a strong connection to the Navy or Marine Corps, or be a political hero to the party sitting in the Oval Office.

So, yeah, just being the President is probably a good start.
    Not to take anything away from such an awesome achievement this carrier really is but I still have visions of the captain waving to people on the pier then slipping and falling on the gangplank on his way down. President Ford just wasn't graceful or sure footed and I hope his namesake doesn't jinks anything.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• Ford was also a carrier sailor in WW2 onboard the USS Monterey (CVL-26).

Comment

• Since the man is again being brought up, here is his biography.
        Biography - President Gerald R. Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          Not to take anything away from such an awesome achievement this carrier really is but I still have visions of the captain waving to people on the pier then slipping and falling on the gangplank on his way down. President Ford just wasn't graceful or sure footed and I hope his namesake doesn't jinks anything.
          Actually Gerald Ford was an accomplished athlete and remained very active his long life. Once he tripped on an aircraft stairway. You may have him confused with Chevy Chase, a comedian whose main talent to this day is pratfalls. He constantly mocked Ford and made a career out of it, but he was never president.

Doesn't appear like a clutz to me. Not that I'm a Ford groupie, but it's too easy to mix up the real people in events with the media parodies that are made about them. By all accounts Ford was a decent honest guy who was put into a bad situation that he didn't seek by his peers who thought he could handle it.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Unfortunately, certain politicians take flak from the media. Heaven forbid that any truth was to be told about the health of FDR during his presidency, much less publication of a photograph of his physical condition or heaven forbid if he ever tumbled out of his wheelchair. It just would not happen.
            The press (even then was dominated by leftists) was just eager to make a Republican such as Ford into some sort of buffoon. It was their form of sport.
            Last edited by surfgun; 10 Nov 13,, 23:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
              Actually Gerald Ford was an accomplished athlete and remained very active his long life. Once he tripped on an aircraft stairway. You may have him confused with Chevy Chase, a comedian whose main talent to this day is pratfalls. He constantly mocked Ford and made a career out of it, but he was never president.
              [ATTACH]34294[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]34295[/ATTACH]

Doesn't appear like a clutz to me. Not that I'm a Ford groupie, but it's too easy to mix up the real people in events with the media parodies that are made about them. By all accounts Ford was a decent honest guy who was put into a bad situation that he didn't seek by his peers who thought he could handle it.
              A quick search of youtube shows two separate trips. One going down and a second on the way up. I know Chevy and SNL presidential impersonations so no confusion there. I liked Ford. He was the last of the truly humble presidents who tried to do the right thing for the country. He had a grace and integrity that has been lacking in modern times. IMO he should have been able to spend more time in the White house. I just don't want to be near the stairs when he is on them. One more thing. his college days were far removed when he assumed the presidency. Everyone is spry and balance at 20, not so much at 60 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                Unfortunately, certain politicians take flak from the media. Heaven forbid that any truth was to be told about the health of FDR during his presidency, much less publication of a photograph of his physical condition or heaven forbid if he ever tumbled out of his wheelchair. It just would not happen.
                The press (even then was dominated by leftists) was just eager to make a Republican such as Ford into some sort of buffoon. It was their form of sport.
                Once they get in the media's radar every politician gets shovelfuls of crap launched at them by the media. Back in FDR's day the media had some checks and balances..even some integrity. Now days anything goes and it doesn't even have to resemble the truth. "Slander at will" is the motto of the day.

Comment

• My intent wasn't to demean the man. I liked him. Good guy.

But I always thought that the naming of capital ships (other than Battleships) was reserved for "special" people/places/events from US history. Yorktown. Roosevelt. Kennedy. Lincoln. Nimitz. Truman. Washington.

Ford's name is not on the level of those above, IMO. Nothing wrong with him, but just not capital ship-worthy, IMO.

I guess at this rate, we'll see a USS Clinton, a USS W, and a USS Obama, eventually.

Comment

• The name Clinton may be appropriate for a drilling platform, Obama perhaps something with big ears, a radar tracking ship?

I agree it has to stop. Perhaps, a supply ship for recently dead politicians? The founding fathers, even Abe is Okay, but returning to historic names and battles would be preferred.

The plus side of CVN 79 being the JFK will assure its funding despite how anti-defense an administration is.
                    Last edited by surfgun; 11 Nov 13,, 02:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      The name Clinton may be appropriate for a drilling platform, Obama perhaps something with big ears, a radar tracking ship?

I agree it has to stop. Perhaps, a supply ship for recently dead politicians? The founding fathers, even Abe is Okay, but returning to historic names and battles would be preferred.

The plus side of CVN 79 being the JFK will assure its funding despite how anti-defense an administration is.
                      The names could be much worse. How about the U.S.S. Microsoft, Exxon Mobil, Walmart, bank of America, JP Morgan, etc. Just a matter of time I fear.

Comment

• Is Ford getting a CV any worse than The Randolph, Forrestal, Vinson or Stennis?

Of those only Forrestal served.

Comment

• Have a naming hierarchy and stick with it. States, cities, founding fathers, slain leaders, character qualities ( think resolute or intrepid ), famous battles, MOH recipients, marine creatures, native american names/tribes, etc.
                          When you start naming things after current politicians, activists, etc it becomes too political and doesn't do the vessel justice. Name should inspire or promote certain qualites.
                          Just my thought anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                            Have a naming hierarchy and stick with it. States, cities, founding fathers, slain leaders, character qualities ( think resolute or intrepid ), famous battles, MOH recipients, marine creatures, native american names/tribes, etc.
                            When you start naming things after current politicians, activists, etc it becomes too political and doesn't do the vessel justice. Name should inspire or promote certain qualites.
                            Just my thought anyway.
                            I generally agree, but there are certain problems.

In the past, if a ship is named for a state or a city, it was plausible to get the namesake to sponsor the recreation fund. So that might work if the boat is the USS Los Angels but not if it is the USS Orca.

The thing with States is that it usually went to the most powerful ship type in the Fleet. So what's the most powerful ship in the Fleet? How do we decide that?

Cities can be a toughie since there are so many of them, so then it gets broken down into certain cities for certain ships. I know that, others may know that, but to the general public, do they know that, the why?

But the thing about States and Cities and "Fish" is that they are probably safe. Most of the time (ie, City of Corpus Christi). When one gets into people though, no one is perfect, groups can always find something not to like about someone. Regardless of what they did good, many will always see bad. Such as Henry J. Kaiser.

Or for that matter, Oberon. When I found out who the mythical Oberon was and realized that a class of export and "local" (Royal Navy) submarines had been named for him, to be used in various navies around the world, I had to giggle at that one, wondering what IDIOT came up with that...........oh, well; perhaps the connotation does not mean the same in Commonwealth circles.

As far as Native American goes, well perhaps that should be left to the Army. There is such a thing as too much.

Character qualities are good, but three things. First of all, I think at some point one will reach the conclusion that we just picked up a thesaurus and named ships by it. When that realization occurs, I think any feel for what the ship's name delivers to the ship will be lost.

Secondly, will it (or should it) mean anything to anyone, to the crew? Me, I'm a very adjective/adverb oriented person. When I was in my 20's (and someone did give me a thesaurus), I tried to be brash, dashing, bold (and other such words). Now, I get a kick out of it when someone compliments me, tells me that I'm audacious. I am known for going to extremes for what I want, to keep on going when others would have turned back, to show up where I am not expected. I live for it. BUT, do we want the young sailor on the Audacious to be such, to constantly push the "It is far easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask permission"? How do we draw the line of what the ship should be and what the crew should be?

Finally, for those words we use to name ships, how soon will it be before the word is associated with some stupid TV show instead?

I am a firm believer that we should not name things after living people and when it comes to ships, I like this proposal:

If the ship is named after someone still alive, then the namesake should be sacrificed on the ways when the ship is launched.

Comment

• I have just saw this picture:

With this tag:
                              Christening: Relatives of former U.S. President Gerald Ford salute a model of a new aircraft carrier named the USS Gerald R. Ford during a naming ceremony at the Pentagon in 2007

Is that Admiral there also a relative to the late President?

Do you guys think that saluting to a model is OK?
                              Attached Files
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                                I have just saw this picture:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34297[/ATTACH]
                                With this tag:
                                Christening: Relatives of former U.S. President Gerald Ford salute a model of a new aircraft carrier named the USS Gerald R. Ford during a naming ceremony at the Pentagon in 2007

Is that Admiral there also a relative to the late President?

Do you guys think that saluting to a model is OK?
                                Well, the Salute is probably politically safer than raising a glass of a fine vintage to it which would probably be more proper.

Comment

Working...
                                X