Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final deployment for Enterprise (CVN-65)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's almost too bad we couldn't have sold her to another allied country that would've gotten more use out of her, like Australia or India, though it might've turned out just like the Admiral Gorshkov/INS Vikramaditya fiasco.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• If a Kitty Hawk Class was too much ship for them, there is NO way the could have handled the likes of Enterprise!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
        It's almost too bad we couldn't have sold her to another allied country that would've gotten more use out of her, like Australia or India, though it might've turned out just like the Admiral Gorshkov/INS Vikramaditya fiasco.
        OK, we even had a hard time operating Enterprise. Do you have any idea how truly "special" she was; and not necessarily in a good way? I knew so many nuclear power officers, good friends, who were repeatedly detailed back to her over the course of their careers that more than a few left the Navy rather than go through yet another couple of years in her Engineering or Reactor Departments. Division Officer, Electrical Officer, Auxo, DCA, MPA, ARO, Engineer Officer, Reactor Officer; seriously, the potential was there to serve in the same ship in no less than three different tours. She was so unique that their knowledge and skills were required again and again. It may seem like a "dream job" to some of you, but trust me, I knew a couple that damn near came close to slitting their wrists rather than do it again.
        Last edited by desertswo; 21 Jun 13,, 07:29.

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
          OK, we even had a hard time operating Enterprise. Do you have any idea how truly "special" she was; and not necessarily in a good way? I knew so many nuclear power officers, good friends, who were repeatedly detailed back to her over the course of their careers that more than a few left the Navy rather than go through yet another couple of years in her Engineering or Reactor Departments. Division Officer, Electrical Officer, Auxo, DCA, MPA, ARO, Engineer Officer, Reactor Officer; seriously, the potential was there to serve in the same ship in no less than three different tours. She was so unique that their knowledge and skills were required again and again. It may seem like a "dream job" to some of you, but trust me, I knew a couple that damn near came close to slitting their wrists rather than do it again.
          I guess I didn't think that thought all the way through; I knew the Enterprise was a one-of-a-kind vessel in more ways than one, from her eight A2W nuclear reactors to her unique SCANFAR air search radar, but I didn't realize she was such a maintenance hog. If she was an aircraft, I guess she'd be considered a "hanger queen".
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Maintenance hog ........

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            I guess I didn't think that thought all the way through; I knew the Enterprise was a one-of-a-kind vessel in more ways than one, from her eight A2W nuclear reactors to her unique SCANFAR air search radar, but I didn't realize she was such a maintenance hog. If she was an aircraft, I guess she'd be considered a "hanger queen".
            Stitch, you aren't alone in understanding the maintenance requirements for the "Big "E" ".
            Being "selected" to return to serve another tour was no doubt a personal challenge for those who'd served a stint
            It is entertaining when the curtain is lifted to obtain a level of understanding what it takes to keep a ship sea worthy...

Comment

I knew she was a nightmare to maintain since my nephew was a "nuke" for 6 years from 2005-2011 and did two stints aboard the STENNIS. He related to me the amount of work needed to keep ENTERPRISE on the go. Hell, he said the amount of work on the STENNIS was enough to keep one very busy with being on watch and then the constant training after watch. He left when he couldn't take the politics of the different CPOs and officers down there. Not to mention he couldn't even get the time to eat and he is a big kid at 6' 4". When he left he was down to 155 lbs., despite great carrier mess, on a medium frame. Couldn't even get above decks to see sunlight except on port calls.

Comment

• Sounds a lot like the F-111 Aardvark. Cutting edge technology and an awesome weapon system. But it was a sustainment nightmare.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

No, a hangar queen goes down to the hangar deck at the beginning of the deployment and stays there until somehow, magically, she becomes just mission capable enough to fly off three days before the end of deployment. Enterprise met her commitments so she was no hangar queen. She was just so unique; more proof of concept initially than the fully integrated operational unit she became. Basically what you had was eight submarine plants crammed into one CV hull. By comparison, the Nimitz-class were relatively simple in design, and the Gerald R. Ford-class with EMALS will be even more so. Not having to run main steam lines all over the ship for catapult steam supply will be a huge blessing in so many ways I cannot begin to describe them all. Regardless, the Fords will be a true Revolution in Military Affairs (RMA); much like Enterprise was "back in the day."

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    I knew she was a nightmare to maintain since my nephew was a "nuke" for 6 years from 2005-2011 and did two stints aboard the STENNIS. He related to me the amount of work needed to keep ENTERPRISE on the go. Hell, he said the amount of work on the STENNIS was enough to keep one very busy with being on watch and then the constant training after watch. He left when he couldn't take the politics of the different CPOs and officers down there. Not to mention he couldn't even get the time to eat and he is a big kid at 6' 4". When he left he was down to 155 lbs., despite great carrier mess, on a medium frame. Couldn't even get above decks to see sunlight except on port calls.
                    The thing about the Nuclear Navy is that they get a lot of "help." And "help" in the military is ALWAYS a four-letter word. At least when I was doing inspections, we were very up front about the fact that we weren't there to help. We were there to find out what, if anything, you did well, and what, if anything, you didn't. Sometimes it was all of one and very little of the other. Most often it was a mixed bag, but help? Nah; not so much.

Anyway, the Nuclear Power guys are definitely a different breed of cat. Oh hell, some of them are just outright strange!!! No other way to describe it. I remember a poster somebody had created showing your typical Nuclear Power officer: pocket protector; calculator, or if a bit long in the tooth, a slip stick on his belt; coke bottle glasses; mom dressed them funny . . . pretty much Revenge of the Nerds on steroids!;)

Comment

• Here is a video of Enterprise being tugged away from the pier in Norfolk for the last time.
                      US Navy Videos

Comment

• Little info I found today:

USS Enterprise the beginning of the end for the big E

3 years to buy, 5 to deactivate?... Wow...

Comment

• Another, Enterprise video.
                          Welcome Home, Big E - Newport News Shipbuilding

Comment

• This definately explains an Ops supervisor I had several years ago that was a "nuke" aboard the Big E in the late 80's early 90's.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Fear not. There will be another USS Enterprise in the navy: CVN-80.

Her legendary name lives on!!!:)
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• There is an RFI for the Enterprise to scrap the ship and hand the propulsion section of the ship back to the USN to transport to PSNS on a heavy lift ship. I bet Newport News goes after this work. The graphic attached to the RFI is interesting.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0

Comment

Working...
                                X