No announcement yet.

USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The glass overhead was helped along you could say. Docents don't touch it from below. I'm the only person who ever goes above so that leaves visitors. Visitors have a tendency to remove items from any kind of park or museum if they can get away with it. Remove a starfish from a National Seashore. Remove a glass lens from an electrical panel or MC. I used blue loctite on stuff like that throughout the Navigation and Flag Bridges. The hatch glass may have been stress caused by swelling in the frame from some rust and the glass just let go.

Entrance to the ship is $20 for adults, $17 for seniors, under 6 free, military $15. However, overnights are the big money maker. The cost is $100/night and we can have groups from 25 all the way up to 400. They generally are the big draw during the summer months. Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Sea Scouts and assorted. The ship supplies food and pays the docent/volunteers who come on especially for overnights. For example a Navy Warrant Officer (P3s), who I made friends with in 1999 when the Reserve trained onboard and saw me on the Avenger. and retired in 2005 is gladly on call for these overnights. Saw him last weekend when I saw his pristine 1983 Mazda 3 on the pier. He personally is great in plane restoration.

There are also nights when the ship is rented out for corporate parties. There was one on July 1st where the ship was paid $60,000 in rent for the night. Out of that all volunteer Security guys are paid as would any docents needed. We also do the basic setup and if the corporate sponsor has special needs they handle those. Sounds like big money but only if they can keep their staff numbers in check as ship care means you have to buy stuff at times that volunteers can't do or donate. The plexiglass I may pay but the green tinted glass the ship will have to pay for.

Your park sounds interesting. One day I must get out there to visit the Air & Space Museum and the Udvar-Hazy Center. Have to maybe try your park at the time if you are around. Another must is the Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum.
    Last edited by tbm3fan; 28 Jul 21,, 18:13.

Comment

• You ever come this way I know a tour guide!

When I was a Scoutmaster we went to Patriots Point in SC and regularly to USS Wisconsin at Nauticus in Norfolk.

We have an overnight immersion camp at Pamplin. We put folks in blue or gray uniforms, give them dummy muskets, teach them drill and battle formations and have them go at it. We also feed them period food to sample....hardtack is a surprising hit!

Our costs for admission are similar but we have a ton of stuff for folks to do & see.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• I have finally finished building a new window frame and brought it to the glass shop last week. Now I have to discuss with a few others about how much weight could be handled getting it into a difficult location when done. A 1/4" glass frame is estimated to be 80-85 lbs. while 3/8" glass frame is at 110-115 lbs. The door window has already been done with 3/8" tempered glass and even that smaller window is pretty damn heavy for it's size.

The now current outlook for Pri-Fly entails the making of all 8 overhead frames as the lower edge is rusting out, swelling, and allowing slow leaks. One needs glass to replace the plexiglass put in back in 1998. I'll make that one this winter while three will get done next summer and the other three in the summer of 2023.

Here's how to make a new frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_saw_setup_45_05.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1578725 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_welding_me_01.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1578726 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_weld_done_01.jpg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1578727 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_weld_grind_01.jpg
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1578728 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_weld_dressed_01.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1578729

Comment

• Now for the 104 holes per half.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_pri_fly_frame_008.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1578731 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_prifly_frame_001.jpg
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1578732 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_prifly_frame_003.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1578733 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_prifly_frame_008.jpg
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1578734 Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_prifly_frame_prime_03.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1578735

Comment

• Nice to see those skills at work...I would be totally hopeless.
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              Nice to see those skills at work...I would be totally hopeless.
              Nah, I'm no shipfitter so if I can learn a few things so can you. Tom showed me how to use a stick welder which is actually easy on metal like this. Try mig on sheet metal, such as a car, and you'll know what I mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Nah, I'm no shipfitter so if I can learn a few things so can you. Tom showed me how to use a stick welder which is actually easy on metal like this. Try mig on sheet metal, such as a car, and you'll know what I mean.
                What I know about mig and tig welders comes from when I was a mechanized Infantry battalion S-4 in the 1980s. The unit had been stood up as light infantry in 1979 and converted to mech in 1983. By 1985-86 we were still trying to get equipment through the supply system we were owed. We were supposed to have a mig & tig welder in our battalion maintenance section but never got them. Of course, we were also short 1 M88 recovery vehicle and had 2.5 ton's in lieu of 5 tons.

The nightmares finally ended about a decade ago!
                Mark Twain

Comment

• USS Hornet CV-8 & CV-12 -
                  A Tale of Two Carriers

02 June 2021
                  Drachinifel
                  Last edited by JRT; 12 Dec 21,, 17:44.

Comment

• I saw that video when it came out as I subscribe to this fellows channel. I already commented on the episode.

Comment

• That window finally went in. There was a video of us doing the installation but powers that be across the country had a problem with me not using a safety harness which severely restricted my movement. So here is an article I wrote for elsewhere about the whole process.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/dock...-window-frame/

Comment

And glad they gussied up the ship for their new guests.

Nothing better than to be in a metal box in a Pacific summer that has been freshly painted!

Better stock up on barf bags!
                        I do not think any of them are actually going to go out to sea on the Gem State even for a day. The 200 are to be bunked aboard the Hornet on Deck 2 and fed in the mess hall on Deck 3. Now the "logistics" is what interests me. Food by a caterer I assume. Heads we got BUT as far as I know there are not a lot of working showers. Laundry, hah! While the ship's laundry is fully complete on Deck 4 it is not functional. There is a single washer and dryer (household type) up near the Jr. Officer's quarters forward of L1 for minor ship use.

Say didn't you say you know a thing or two about logistics? Want a fun filled summer vacation aboard a carrier with mild weather and calm seas?

Comment

I do not think any of them are actually going to go out to sea on the Gem State even for a day. The 200 are to be bunked aboard the Hornet on Deck 2 and fed in the mess hall on Deck 3. Now the "logistics" is what interests me. Food by a caterer I assume. Heads we got BUT as far as I know there are not a lot of working showers. Laundry, hah! While the ship's laundry is fully complete on Deck 4 it is not functional. There is a single washer and dryer (household type) up near the Jr. Officer's quarters forward of L1 for minor ship use.

Say didn't you say you know a thing or two about logistics? Want a fun filled summer vacation aboard a carrier with mild weather and calm seas?
                          These guys I mentioned wouldn't go to sea with a vessel. They are organized to handle everything from pier-side inland. They don't travel with vessels. So knowledge and practical experience of working with crane ships would be a requirement.

For a unit that sized for that long they will probably have a mess team along to prepare and cook meals. That would be too long and too expensive for a catering op for a group that size.

Same for shower & bath...they could bring in a shower and bath unit or find a local gym or whatever to provide access to showers. When we went to the field for extended periods in Germany we would contract with a local swimming club to use their shower facilities. Laundry can be done by hand.

When it comes to military items if I can't dig a hole to avoid enemy fire I want nothing to do with that!
                          Mark Twain

Comment

These guys I mentioned wouldn't go to sea with a vessel. They are organized to handle everything from pier-side inland. They don't travel with vessels. So knowledge and practical experience of working with crane ships would be a requirement.

For a unit that sized for that long they will probably have a mess team along to prepare and cook meals. That would be too long and too expensive for a catering op for a group that size.

Same for shower & bath...they could bring in a shower and bath unit or find a local gym or whatever to provide access to showers. When we went to the field for extended periods in Germany we would contract with a local swimming club to use their shower facilities. Laundry can be done by hand.

When it comes to military items if I can't dig a hole to avoid enemy fire I want nothing to do with that!
                            Should be an interesting month on board. I wonder what will go on during down time in the evenings and weekends?

I'll be down on three Wednesdays so I should them what is going on in person and get some photos. They know how to swim, right?

I hope none of them try to dig a hole through a deck...

Comment

Should be an interesting month on board. I wonder what will go on during down time in the evenings and weekends?

I'll be down on three Wednesdays so I should them what is going on in person and get some photos. They know how to swim, right?

To become an officer you have to pass a swim test...not sure about troops.

And since they are Transportation Corps and not Infantry you should be okay on the deck!
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Especially if they're joyfully singing It's a Long Way to Tipperary while doing so....

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X