X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bearings and the location
    Attached Files

Comment

• Need to know what the Wildcat looked like in 2011 first.
      Attached Files

Comment

• TBM3Fan,

I've been looking over the last few pages - very interesting photos and commentary. Sort of wish someone was keeping an online log (so to speak) on NORTH CAROLINA and NEW JERSEY. Years ago (in the mid '70s) I was living in Wilmington, NC and a local friend (now deceased) was one of the welders hired to do work on the NORTH CAROLINA when she first arrived in the early '60s. He talked at length about how the souvenir hunters (and fellow workers) walked off with a mired of dials, handles, wheels, virtually anything people could remove by hand. Finally, the ship had fencing installed in front of most of the accessible engineering spaces where the tour led and this (to a large degree) kept thieves from removing things. The public has no sense of right or wrong (hasn't for a long time) and this is historical larceny, plain and simple. I know we all want a keepsake to two - but, these events should be treated as burglary and charges drawn and prosecuted.

I might add that in regards to NEW JERSEY, the volunteers do maintain an online monthly magazine that highlights current events/projects/volunteers/history of NEW JERSEY - The Jerseyman ( http://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/t...the-jerseyman/)

Hank

Comment

• Here is our finished FM-2 Wildcat. The plane took six years to complete. It was restarted once when the original crew got the fuselage repair wrong and wouldn't correct. So they were asked to leave the ship and another group took on the task. It was a long job. Conflicts sometimes arouse over how precise things should be. One of the members sadly had a heart attack in the final year and passed away. Nonetheless, the job was done. All flying surfaces were done offsite in the lead's personal shop. It took three engines to make one complete engine. We even had our own paint chemist who formulated the paint and then made it before painting in Hanger 3. He has handled paint formulation for the 3"/50 cal. and will be doing so for the S2 Tracker and F4 Phantom.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tbm3fan; 20 Aug 17,, 22:45.

Comment

• Next...
            Attached Files

Comment

• Next...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Fourth group
                Attached Files

Comment

• Fifth group
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Sixth group
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Final group. Camera used Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D with 28-80mm Minolta zoom and Metz flash gun.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Financial loss ...

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        Final group. Camera used Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D with 28-80mm Minolta zoom and Metz flash gun.
                        General Motors / Eastern Aircraft produced 5,280 FM variants of the Wildcat and they'd of gone broke if they had invested the Q/C this bird has.... just say'in...

Comment

• Tbm3fan

I deal with an ex member of the CAF he's an IA and restored and flew their TBM. He was telling me he was in touch with a gentlemen who is currently restoring a TBM purchased from a museum. Acquisition price was incredibly low.

Comment

• Limited TBM's ....

Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                            Tbm3fan

I deal with an ex member of the CAF he's an IA and restored and flew their TBM. He was telling me he was in touch with a gentlemen who is currently restoring a TBM purchased from a museum. Acquisition price was incredibly low.
                            It would be interesting to know more about the TBM acquired referred to in your post.
                            There aren't that many TBM's left so any work being performed either as a static or flyable bird has to be "known about " in the Warbird community...

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                              It would be interesting to know more about the TBM acquired referred to in your post.
                              There aren't that many TBM's left so any work being performed either as a static or flyable bird has to be "known about " in the Warbird community...
                              i believed the aircraft was purchased from a defunct museum. I will speak to the source on Friday. I will let you know. He has also worked with a group in Florida with a TBM a couple of years ago.

Comment

• Great pics of the FM-2. I believe I told you earlier my uncle flew one and was in the TAFFY 3 GROUP off the Kalinin Bay...VC-3.

Got to ask....who was ENS EJ Robinson to get the honor of the plan in his name?
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X