No announcement yet.

USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second break. This would imply to me that when O1 and O2 were in place that the mid-deck elevator was still present and when removed it was decided not to fill in the space. So it is used to hang things like aux. fuel tanks.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Third break is actually used to hang spare wings which is what we did with the wings to the FM2.

Shot below is foam canisters that started appearing on the ship in the last month. Someone had money enough to pay $10 per can and $7 per stencil for a coupe of hundred cans. They do fill out the racks nicely. One of those all important details that make of break a restoration.

Other news is that we are waiting on approval for when we can go aboard the Kitty Hawk to go parts hunting. When Ford comes on line then Kitty Hawk becomes disposable.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Second break. This would imply to me that when O1 and O2 were in place that the mid-deck elevator was still present and when removed it was decided not to fill in the space. So it is used to hang things like aux. fuel tanks.
        So THAT'S why there's that void in the hanger ceiling!

That didn't occur to me, until you mentioned that the mid-deck elevator was blanked off when it was converted from a straight-deck carrier to an angled-deck carrier in '56. Yeah, I saw a couple of 500-gallon drop tanks up there last time I was onboard (they looked like F-4 centerline tanks to me, which means they would've been 600-gallons).
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Third break is actually used to hang spare wings which is what we did with the wings to the FM2.

Shot below is foam canisters that started appearing on the ship in the last month. Someone had money enough to pay $10 per can and $7 per stencil for a coupe of hundred cans. They do fill out the racks nicely. One of those all important details that make of break a restoration.

Other news is that we are waiting on approval for when we can go aboard the Kitty Hawk to go parts hunting. When Ford comes on line then Kitty Hawk becomes disposable.
          I always found the description of how the foam canisters were used somewhat fascinating; they were put in the top of the gray mixing tank upside down (second picture), and there is a pointy piece of metal, kind of like a can opener, that poked a hole in the canister so that the "foam" would come out and flow into the mixing tank. Obviously, you're going to be in a hurry when you're doing this, so the "can opener" had to be very accessible to the sailors fighting the fire, which is why it was on top in a relatively exposed position.
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Living Ship Day May 21st, 2016

https://www.uss-hornet.org/events/specialty-tours-3/

Upcoming Living Ship Day- Saturday, May 21, 2016

Crusader Down! USS Hornet Museum to Honor Vietnam Aviation Legend LT. William Sharp

On May 21, the USS Hornet Museum’s Living Ship Day will honor highly decorated Vietnam F-8 Crusader pilot, William Sharp, for his heroism after surviving being shot down during the Vietnam War during a special Living Ship Day. The presentation will be at 1:00 PM at the museum.

California Central Valley Native, LT. William Sharp, will receive an exclusive USS Hornet Museum Heroism Award for his service during the Vietnam War. Sharp is a distinguished Navy combat pilot and the recipient of the Navy Distinguished Flying Cross, 12 Air Medals, Purple Heart Medal, and the Navy Commendation with Combat V (valor) Medal. His flight records include piloting F-8 Crusaders and Grumman F-11 during the 1960’s. Sharp will recall his memories about serving in Vietnam, as a member of Squadron Air Group 19 and his courageous tale of survival after being shot down and ejecting over the Tonkin Gulf of North Vietnam.

William Sharp: William grew up in Dinuba, California and entered the Naval Aviation Officer Candidate School after graduating from Fresno State University in 1963. He received advanced flight training in the F-11 Tiger and received his Navy pilot wings in 1964. He flew the F-8 Crusader in Vietnam. During the Vietnam War Air Group 19 were stationed onboard Aircraft Carriers USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) and the USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14). On November 18, 1965, he was shot down on a mission over North Vietnam. He had just turned 26 years old when his aircraft was hit by enemy fire forcing Sharp to eject from his aircraft into the Tonkin Gulf below. Sharp was then captured by the North Vietnamese Navy while in his raft and successfully escaped while his squadron aircraft protected him during his rescue. He will recount this heroic tale during his presentation.

Original footage of the ejection can be viewed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_qRuj50urI

Later in his civilian life, Sharp became a commercial airline pilot for United Airlines and received the San Francisco Captain of the year award in 1999. While at United Airlines, he flew the Boeing 777 around the world. William is currently a docent at the USS Hornet Museum in Alameda California.

Comment

• The video

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Memorial_2016_01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	1468760Click image for larger version

Name:	Memorial_2016_02.jpg
Size:	612.9 KB
ID:	1468761Click image for larger version

Name:	Memorial_2016_03.jpg
Size:	712.9 KB
ID:	1468762Memorial Day 2016

Comment

• I'll throw this in being a car nut and seeing it out in front this morning.Click image for larger version

Name:	Olds_55.jpg
Size:	693.8 KB
ID:	1468763

Comment

• Very nice.

Thanks for sharing with us.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• I see they keep moving planes around; that old A-4 Aggressor used to be down at the other end of the hanger by Elevator #1.

Comment

• Major problems on the Hornet starting at the top once again.

Woman CEO and it has become apparent that new hires, to replace fired male employees, are all female with no Navy background at all. Trying to be PC about Navy Waves as an example. Or signs saying heads now say restrooms. One even wanted something cut out of a passageway because it was inconvenient for her. Fortunately the person asked went up to the head of restoration and quashed that. We are a National Historical Landmark and no modifications or removals are allowed.

New employees are being paid a higher salary. This salary couldn't be met last month. Somehow money was found to make the payroll. Question is where the money came from as the ship would apparently be broke if it couldn't pay the salary. Moved without the Board's knowledge apparently. Now moved from reserve? Moved from the government grant. Why was the payroll person told to keep quiet?

Irreplaceable aluminum frames and the springs from bunks, which are Naval artifacts, were thrown out by the CEO but another fellow was made the scapegoat. This is not allowed because it is Navy property, part of the ship, and must stay with the ship. These parts were needed elsewhere. Now what does NavSea say about this? We are a National Historical Landmark!

Our electrician, long time Navy electrician, heard his part time helper got a raise from $20 to $40 and hour. He worked about 16 hours a month. Now our electrician, who works 3 days a week, and knows it inside and out heard about it. He went down and asked for $30 from $20. He was told no by her and the end result was that he quit. This has put the Hornet into serious trouble in my opinion. He maintains the cathodic protection around the ship which needs monthly inspection and cleaning. Now no one to maintain it among other things.

A wooden kiosk planned for inside Hanger 1. Note the word wooden which becomes a Fire Marshall issue. It needs to a sprinkler system since it is combustible and will house combustibles. That would have to be pulled down from the overhead in Hanger 1 making it fixed in place. How do you moves planes around? What does the Navy say about this as it isn't Navy? Early on the Hornet wanted a restaurant on board and the Navy quashed that. A fair amount of people are up in arms.

The ship is being destroyed...

Comment

• What a crying shame.

How is the CEO selected?
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            What a crying shame.

How is the CEO selected?
                            Board of Directors.

Now one knows why I am not a big fan of most CEO people whether private or public institutions.

Comment

Major problems on the Hornet starting at the top once again.

Woman CEO and it has become apparent that new hires, to replace fired male employees, are all female with no Navy background at all. Trying to be PC about Navy Waves as an example. Or signs saying heads now say restrooms. One even wanted something cut out of a passageway because it was inconvenient for her. Fortunately the person asked went up to the head of restoration and quashed that. We are a National Historical Landmark and no modifications or removals are allowed.

New employees are being paid a higher salary. This salary couldn't be met last month. Somehow money was found to make the payroll. Question is where the money came from as the ship would apparently be broke if it couldn't pay the salary. Moved without the Board's knowledge apparently. Now moved from reserve? Moved from the government grant. Why was the payroll person told to keep quiet?

Irreplaceable aluminum frames and the springs from bunks, which are Naval artifacts, were thrown out by the CEO but another fellow was made the scapegoat. This is not allowed because it is Navy property, part of the ship, and must stay with the ship. These parts were needed elsewhere. Now what does NavSea say about this? We are a National Historical Landmark!

Our electrician, long time Navy electrician, heard his part time helper got a raise from $20 to $40 and hour. He worked about 16 hours a month. Now our electrician, who works 3 days a week, and knows it inside and out heard about it. He went down and asked for $30 from $20. He was told no by her and the end result was that he quit. This has put the Hornet into serious trouble in my opinion. He maintains the cathodic protection around the ship which needs monthly inspection and cleaning. Now no one to maintain it among other things.

A wooden kiosk planned for inside Hanger 1. Note the word wooden which becomes a Fire Marshall issue. It needs to a sprinkler system since it is combustible and will house combustibles. That would have to be pulled down from the overhead in Hanger 1 making it fixed in place. How do you moves planes around? What does the Navy say about this as it isn't Navy? Early on the Hornet wanted a restaurant on board and the Navy quashed that. A fair amount of people are up in arms.

The ship is being destroyed...
                              Ya know, I've noticed a decline in the customer service of the ship, too; I've been dealing with Chris Miller in the Live Aboard program for several years now, and until recently, she's been very helpful. However, since last year I definitely get the feeling that she's not being very accommodating; our Boy Scout Troop has been participating in the Merit Badge/Live Aboard program ever since I've been involved in the Troop (and even before that), and the staff has always been very helpful with us - until last year. When I contacted Chris last year about the Merit Badge/Live Aboard program, she said she'd let me know when she could get an Aviation and a Radio Merit Badge counselor lined up for the Merit Badge program they have there on Saturdays, and I never heard back from her; I went to check their Live Aboard calendar a few weeks ago and, lo and behold, there were Merit Badge sessions scheduled, but they were all full. So much for being on a waiting list! So now I'll have to start all over again and, hopefully, get something pencilled in for later on this year.

tbm - Do you have any idea how much money the ship gets from the Live Aboard program? We usually do the Saturday-Sunday thing (arrive at 9:00 AM on Saturday for the Merit Badge Clinic, stay overnight, then go home Sunday morning), so we pay $75 per Scout, plus $10 for the Merit Badge; we normally have about 12-15 Scouts go, so that's $900 to $1125 per event for the ship (minus the catering fees, of course).

Comment

• First, I have learned emails using the ships system, are being monitored. Which means only personal home emails and phone calls are safe from intrusion.

Stitch:
                                I do know in the leaner years the Live Aboard program g\kept the ship afloat money wise. So it is a big deal. The person you mention I don't know by name. I may have seen a face, among the several, but that is it. Their are ways to deal with this issue which I won't get into. Many of us have certain phone numbers, which have been used in the past, to bring in authorities to take a look see. I know of three issues where that was needed and a stop was put to what was planned. I don't know where some Admins get the idea that the volunteers and so forth won't do what is necessary to protect the ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X