No announcement yet.

USS John F. Kennedy (CVN-79)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like I said, I'm not nearly that creative. I just know Level One steel piping that's been subjected to a pneumatic grinder when I see it.

Comment

• .......obviously. What I wanna know is if there was some rumor that went around that she was. He knew about America though (apparently he was pissed when it went on the news). For some reason he just swears that JFK was sunk also.
      RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 gt kid View Post
        .......obviously. What I wanna know is if there was some rumor that went around that she was. He knew about America though (apparently he was pissed when it went on the news). For some reason he just swears that JFK was sunk also.
        Show him a current photo of Big John sitting in mothballs.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• The JFK (CVA-67) in mothballs Philadelphia Fleet Reserve. Disregard the date on the pic, it was taken in 2011 by me. The JFK is moored beside the Forrestal (CVA-59).;)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 10 Sep 13,, 13:16.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• The Forrestal (CVA-59) moored to the left of JFK (CVA-67).
            Attached Files

Comment

• USS JFK heading to Narragansett Bay as a museum ship.

The Rhode Island Aviation Hall of Fame is in their final phase of acquiring Big John and bringing her north to RI as a museum ship.
              A lot of work and money raising went into preparing Saratoga as a museum and then the Navy reneged and took her out of donation hold because of condition. So, they offered up JFK instead. RIAHF is the only remaining group vying for the ship. Their chances were enhanced because all the work and funds for Sara were transferred to the effort. So, they had a pretty good head start. The JFK will have a section of the ship set aside as a museum to Sara.
              You can follow their progress here http://www.USSJFKRI.org

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                The Rhode Island Aviation Hall of Fame is in their final phase of acquiring Big John and bringing her north to RI as a museum ship.
                A lot of work and money raising went into preparing Saratoga as a museum and then the Navy reneged and took her out of donation hold because of condition. So, they offered up JFK instead. RIAHF is the only remaining group vying for the ship. Their chances were enhanced because all the work and funds for Sara were transferred to the effort. So, they had a pretty good head start. The JFK will have a section of the ship set aside as a museum to Sara.
                You can follow their progress here USS John F. Kennedy Aircraft Carrier Project in Rhode Island
                OK, I'm going to say something sacrilegious here, but WTF, over? Parking that pig in Newport? You know, I spent six years all told of my life there and consider it my second "home" next to San Diego (I live in rural Phoenix but it's not "home"), and I can't imagine anything that would clash more with the local ambiance than that big, gray bastard sitting in the middle of it. It was my job, not my freaking life, and I sure wouldn't want to wake up every morning seeing that outside my window. Never mind that, I can just see the traffic now on both West Main and East Main Roads. Worse than the idiots flocking there every summer who think there are real beaches in New England. ;) I have a feeling that this is not going to end well in the long run for Newport, and that is a real shame.

Comment

• Ahh good idea now to see if I can show him. I'll tell you though thats a sad sight seeing those ships like that. I saw the Enterprise in April and that was sad enough!

Well it can't be as bad as the NJ being in Camden . I saw her in june and was wondering who thought that was a bright idea. I remember reading that they were originally gonna put her somewhere else but the Camden group won out. I will say though the museum seems to be doin a good job but they need some more chippers and painters! All in all it'll make it a good reason to go up there and see some of my friends and family (I'm originally from Massachusetts).
                  RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• JFK CVA-67 under tow to PNSY Naval Reseve Fleet. Pic taken by me.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                      OK, I'm going to say something sacrilegious here, but WTF, over? Parking that pig in Newport? You know, I spent six years all told of my life there and consider it my second "home" next to San Diego (I live in rural Phoenix but it's not "home"), and I can't imagine anything that would clash more with the local ambiance than that big, gray bastard sitting in the middle of it. It was my job, not my freaking life, and I sure wouldn't want to wake up every morning seeing that outside my window. Never mind that, I can just see the traffic now on both West Main and East Main Roads. Worse than the idiots flocking there every summer who think there are real beaches in New England. ;) I have a feeling that this is not going to end well in the long run for Newport, and that is a real shame.
                      Skipper, as a Corpsman I have to keep an eye on your Systolic and Diastolic!
                      If you could see her outside your window every morning, I would say they missed their mark on the location! Plus, the expense of moving that hulk over land to Phoenix would be astronomical!
                      It looks like they are considering a location a little north in Middletown.
                      I have a feeling that this will be the last carrier to ever go on the donation list! Every one after her being a CVN.

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                        Skipper, as a Corpsman I have to keep an eye on your Systolic and Diastolic!
                        If you could see her outside your window every morning, I would say they missed their mark on the location! Plus, the expense of moving that hulk over land to Phoenix would be astronomical!
                        It looks like they are considering a location a little north in Middletown.
                        I have a feeling that this will be the last carrier to ever go on the donation list! Every one after her being a CVN.
                        I lived at 22 Columbia Court, Middletown, RI. Between West Main Road and Burma Road (Defense Highway . . . it's a two lane road, but if they want to call it a "highway" so be it). My bedroom window overlooked Narragansett Bay. That pig would be right next door. Not liking that vision in my head one little bit.

Comment

• I'd love for a flat top to be placed closer to my home. Astoria or Portland. Newport bay even. A ship like this would not spoil the view and would be a heck of an attraction. Best of all it would really piss off the local peace nazis knowing they would have to consume a taste of the real world every time they saw it.
                          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• Just chuckling over the comments on the JFK. Those people up there truly have no idea what they are getting into. Lots of dreams and fancy ideas on paper none of which will ever come true. The only ship that could achieve those dreams was/is the MIDWAY. Why? Downtown San Diego near the foot of Broadway. Why do you think there is constant talk of getting the HORNET over to San Francisco. Over there she would give the MIDWAY a run for the money since S.F. is an international destination and international tourists love the HORNET. Otherwise HORNET is like a family living from paycheck to paycheck. A wage earner gets sick and there goes everything.

Leaving all that aside just looking at the size of the ship, as compared to an Essex, it would make me pause. I believe I can restore most anything, if given time, but this is a whole other level of work to maintain. The exterior of that ship in that environment will be like dealing with the Golden Gate Bridge. Constant work with never a day off. Admirable idea to want to save but realistically you gotta keep your eyes open here. Look at the USS CABOT which sailed here under her own power and was all set to go. Little work, money set aside and the Association still couldn't get it off the ground. Hell, she could have been like the John Brown, Lane Victory and Jeremiah O'Brien. Not under Navy control in regards to operation I believe.

Anyway I want to know who is going to strip the hull and paint it up there? Yeah, that is what I thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              Anyway I want to know who is going to strip the hull and paint it up there? Yeah, that is what I thought.
                              Truer words were never spoken. People who have never seen Navy side cleaners at work just have no idea what they might be getting into. It's like ants crawling over a carcass.

Comment

• We aim to create a financially self-sufficient family attraction and entertainment center, education and job training resource, special event venue, naval and aviation museum and more, all sited on an exciting and historic aircraft carrier. The USS John F. Kennedy, named after the 35th President of the United States and nicknamed “Big John,” is the last conventionally powered carrier built for the US Navy. After nearly 40 years of active service, USS JFK was decommissioned in 2007. She now awaits her last call to duty in Rhode Island.

The USS JFK Sea and Air Experience will break the mold of the traditional floating museum by adding innovative technology and broad-based recreational attractions to the historic naval ship experience.
                                The project will incorporate the best elements from other science, aviation, and maritime museums and even amusement parks. Adding recreational experiences will make the experience highly repeatable.
                                A critical mass at inception, with enough variety to appeal to a broad cross-section of the population, will also make this a true destination.
                                What Will the USS John F. Kennedy Offer?
                                Economic Benefits

It will be a regional economic engine, creating jobs, adding economic impact and generating new tax revenues.
                                New Community Resources

Not only will this be a family fun park, but it will offer significant educational programming as well as powerful workforce development capabilities. The ship will also become an emergency relief asset in case of disasters.
                                Special Events & Entertainment Venue

Newport County needs a facility to handle large groups. The ship’s 75,000 sq ft hangar bays, with 25’ overheads and no columns, will handle almost any imaginable event, from major trade shows to weddings. During the warmer months, the 4+ acre flight deck will be perfect for concerts under the stars.
                                Fascinating Exhibits, Displays and Activities

The ship will appeal to all ages and demographics, especially families and children. Rare military aircraft will populate the hangar bay and flight deck. Motion simulators and other interactive elements will make up a “Virtual Theme Park”, with attractions such as a laser tag complex for family fun.
                                Museum & Memorial

The largest warship ever made accessible to the public will serve as a fitting memorial to members of all services who made sacrifices for this nation. Historical displays will chronicle the service of the USS John F. Kennedy and the men who served in her, as well as that of the USS Saratoga, the USS Ranger and other ships. Other exhibits will focus on the naval and aviation history of Rhode Island.

This fantasy is right out of every other group's mission statement for their proposed museum. I immediately recognized it from the HORNET. I especially love everything about virtual this and virtual that technology. Hell, we are right next to Silicon Valley and really couldn't get that off the ground. Why? MONEY, MONEY, MONEY! By the time you pay rent, pay power, pay water, pay salaries and pay for all your supplies what is left? A credit card bill is what is left.

Rhode Island has more Navy history than the Bay Area and Alameda NAS? I don't really think so. So down to brass tacks. Where are the visitors going to be drawn from? A 100 mile range and how many live in that range who want to see the ship? The MIDWAY is only 500 miles from me in my old home town and yet I am in no hurry to go down to see her at this time. Iowa even closer but still not driving there yet.

Historic ship? Hmm, do they have a scoreboard like us? Can someone take me up onto the Island and show me a dozen patches covering 7.7mm holes.

No offense as I hated seeing all those ships removed from Suisun to go to the scrappers. Really hated to see Nereus, Sperry and Holland go which were important unheralded ships but it is what it is.

P.S. I'm sure someone will challenge me on the Navy history aspect but I'll base mine on Hunters, Alameda, Treasure Island and Mare Island plus the first plane take off from a ship.
                                Last edited by tbm3fan; 10 Sep 13,, 21:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X